Hot water tank leak

DMAX154

I looked around a little bit but couldn't find any threads about the hot water tank leaking. Has anyone had this problem? Because I do. The leak is coming from the cold water inlet I can see it drip from there. I drainded the hot water tank and took off the fitting and put some teflon tape on it and it hasn't seemed to help. What have some of the rest of you done to solve this problem?

2010augusta

DMAX, if the fitting is plastic, replace it with a brass one and that should help. I have had very little luck with trying to keep the plastic stuff tight and leak free.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I looked around a little bit but couldn't find any threads about the hot water tank leaking. Has anyone had this problem? Because I do. The leak is coming from the cold water inlet I can see it drip from there. I drainded the hot water tank and took off the fitting and put some teflon tape on it and it hasn't seemed to help. What have some of the rest of you done to solve this problem?

I recall some posts about the nylon fittings developing small cracks and leaking at the HW tank. The fix was to replace them with brass ones. Pipe joint compound may work better at preventing leaks around the threads.

Northern Virginia
I hate plastic fittings. When you have a slow leak the tendency is to want to keep tightening them. If the fitting breaks it will ruin your day. Getting the remnants of the broken plastic fitting out of the other part is a huge PITA. I would do what Alan does and replace the fitting with brass. Problem solved.

My 2 cents- John

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Where on the inlet is the leak?.....if on the plastic threads i'd use a paste pipe dope like (Slick-Tite) not teflon tape.

laffman

Mine leaked the first time I used the 5ver. Tighening it didn't work. I put new teflon tape on the threads and it stopped.