The Hassle Of Dealing With Heartlands Parts Dept

Mel

In May of this year I bought a new 2010 Big Horn 3410RE. I like the coach very much, but like any other new 5<SUP>th</SUP> wheelers I had a number of issues or bugs that needed attention under the one year warranty.
I found from past experience dealing with Hartland, that the company is ok honoring warrantees, but very poor on sending parts. On A scale of 1 to 10 I will give them a 1. My dealer who I purchased the coach from has ordered parts for me under warranty and it took weeks into months to receive the correct parts, and on a few occasions the wrong parts were sent. My latest issue is a bad baggage door on my coach. My dealer ordered the door and sent pictures of the problem with the door to Hartland. Three weeks later Hartland wanted to know the dimension of the door. Sounds to me that Hartland has no communication within the company between departments, in my case, parts department and production. I couldn’t believe that Hartland doesn’t know what baggage door they put on a 3410RE during production. I have been hassled to death on all the parts needed to put my new 5<SUP>th</SUP> wheeler in new condition. I have also found that there is a problem with Hartland dealers warranty service if you didn’t purchase the coach from that dealer, they will not service it. They don’t operate like a new car dealer.
I will be ready to trade in my new coach in a few years for another new one, but I will think twice before I consider another Hartland product. I am one dissatisfied Hartland customer.
The moral of my story is that if you needed service under warranty, and parts are needed and ordered by your dealer, don’t leave your RV with the dealer unless you are not going to use it for months to come.
Hope this information will help the Hartland RV Owners Forum
Mel

John T Bettencourt

Some times I think once they sell it to you they dont care. I e-mailed Mr Brady about a dangerous electrical condition in the bedroom of my LM Augusta and asked that he get back to me. I have not heard from him.

2010augusta

Sorry to hear of the problems, but each time I have called Heartland's parts and service department I have received the part (sent directly to me as I am 2,000-3,000 mile away from my purchasing dealer) within a week. I even was able to have a power converter sent to me and use the same box to return the old converter in the same box with the postage already paid. I have not tried to work through a dealer on any of the issues, and Heartland has come through for me.

Currently, I am trying to get heartland and Elkhart Tool and Die to address an issue with the entry steps. It has been several weeks, but I am willing to believe Heartland (for now) when they say that "they are waiting on a response from Elkhart T&D."

IMHO, your issues could be related more to the dealers and less on heartland than you might think.

biggziff

If you haven't called Heartland directly, and it sounds like you haven't, then you really can't fault them. There have been many reports of people being told things by a dealer that placed the blame on the manufacturer when in reality the dealer was the problem and was lying to the customer.

Best wishes.

In May of this year I bought a new 2010 Big Horn 3410RE. I like the coach very much, but like any other new 5<sup>th</sup> wheelers I had a number of issues or bugs that needed attention under the one year warranty.
I found from past experience dealing with Hartland, that the company is ok honoring warrantees, but very poor on sending parts. On A scale of 1 to 10 I will give them a 1. My dealer who I purchased the coach from has ordered parts for me under warranty and it took weeks into months to receive the correct parts, and on a few occasions the wrong parts were sent. My latest issue is a bad baggage door on my coach. My dealer ordered the door and sent pictures of the problem with the door to Hartland. Three weeks later Hartland wanted to know the dimension of the door. Sounds to me that Hartland has no communication within the company between departments, in my case, parts department and production. I couldn’t believe that Hartland doesn’t know what baggage door they put on a 3410RE during production. I have been hassled to death on all the parts needed to put my new 5<sup>th</sup> wheeler in new condition. I have also found that there is a problem with Hartland dealers warranty service if you didn’t purchase the coach from that dealer, they will not service it. They don’t operate like a new car dealer.
I will be ready to trade in my new coach in a few years for another new one, but I will think twice before I consider another Hartland product. I am one dissatisfied Hartland customer.
The moral of my story is that if you needed service under warranty, and parts are needed and ordered by your dealer, don’t leave your RV with the dealer unless you are not going to use it for months to come.
Hope this information will help the Hartland RV Owners Forum
Mel

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I'm also sorry for the delays in getting your parts shipped to you in a timely manner. There have been cases where a dealer faxed the order and it was never received by Heartland. It is always a good idea to follow up the fax with a phone call to verify it was actually received, is legible and the right parts ordered.

SilverRhino

It's too bad that you are having these kinds of problems. We purchased our BC, our first HL product in June of this year. Currently I have needed to deal with the factory on replacement of four different parts.

In each situation, I felt that HL employees were extremely professional and I had my replacement parts within a week.

I also had another issue that was fairly major :
Water Line in Basement.....Hooked to Nothing that was dealt with within hours of posting a question on this forum.

So, based on my experiences, I feel that HL has gone out of it's way to assist me.

Just my opinion.

Travel Safe!

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Mel,
Not to pour salt in the wounds but Heartland is not spelled Hartland. Could this be part of the confusion?

As for my experiences with ordering parts from Heartland, I have to say so far so good. I too agree that dealers are more times the bigger part of the problem and not Heartland. Please make sure you have the facts before you make a possibly mistaken accusation.

My 2-cents
Mark

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
FYI - At any time you can telephone Heartland parts and find out if they have received the parts order for your unit. If not then you caught the dealer in a lie. If they have received it then you can find out what the hold up is. In some cases the part that is being ordered is coming from a third party supplier and Heartland is at their mercy. But by calling Heartland parts to follow up at least you will know what the status is. It never ceases to amaze me how many people allow themselves to be bullied by the dealer's service department. Remember YOU are the customer and it not for you and others the service department would not exist.

Boca_Shuffles

Mel,

I consider myself a satisfied Heartland 2010 BH 3055RL owner. I am happy with the service response of the customer service personnel. However, there has been delays in getting the actual parts. They have changed shipping companies, so hopefully this will improve going forward.

Just so everyone doesn't beat up on you too much, I had the same experience getting the slam door replaced. After talking to Heartland directly about the door (which they they immediately and graciously agreed to replace), I waited about a month and then called to check on the part. It was supposed to be shipped the next week. I then got a call asking for the dimensions of the door. Since my unit was manufactured in May, I also was surprised that this wasn't a known fact.

I received the door about two weeks later. The replacement solved the problem.

I just wanted to let people know that someone else had the same initial reaction as you.

I am a happy camper and will strongly consider another HL product in the future.

Rmcgrath53

Parts

When i bought my unit and took it into warranty repair, General RV ordered the parts first , then called me when they were in and then I took my coach in for service. They ussualy had it back within a few days.
This was the way it was handled for at least 6 seperate trips. Important to find a dealer close to home.
Ron

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I had to replace the basement door on my Bighorn 3400RE. It is out of the 1yr warranty and the door was damaged while driving through a construction area.

I also have a gray water gate valve and cable that needs to be replaced.

The door came in on time and fit properly. The gate valve arrived yesterday and I plan to install it next week. Each time I talked to Susan Kretchmer and so far every thing arrived and will fit.

I have a problem with dealers. Most of them are not doing their job and admiting it...

I have no problem with Heartland..

FWIW.
BC

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
I know I am truly blessed in this area. I've had a couple of "major" issues with my new Landmark, like having to replace the a/c unit and having to replace the doorside baggage door.

Both cases (plus a few smaller ones) all I had to do was mention to my dealer, Chesapeake RV Solutions about the problem I had and it was taken care of quickly and much to my satisfaction. First they scheduled an appoointment to look at the problem and make sure I wasn't some nut case (we all know I am) and then they, the Dealer, contacted Heartland and made sure the correct part was sent. Then another appointment to bring my rig back in to have the new part installed. -- Yes, that was two trips to the dealer, but I much perfer it that way. He doesn't have the room to keep my trailer awaiting parts and I was still able to sandwich a couple of weekend camping trips inbetween.

I know I've got a fantastic dealer and to me that's 80% of the problem or better yet, lack of a problem, dealing with Heartland. Like I said, I'm truly blessed.

Keith

geeksrus

Mel:

Call them like you see them! I for one don't believe that HL is the greatest thing in the world & I do believe they drop the ball too often!

Eh!

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
There is nothing wrong with calling things the way someone sees them but it does become old for the same person to drone on and on about their misfortune and to constantly look for opportunities to "zing" Heartland. I would think there are better ways to use one's time.

Mark

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
Anytime I have called Heartland, they have always responded quickly. I've never needed any part from them, just questions which they answered. My Heartland has seen a lot of dealers...from the highway driving by! The last time it was in a dealer's lot was the day I bought it. Hopefully it remains that way. :) I'd buy another Heartland in a heartbeat.

I'm nowhere near my purchasing dealer, so if I ever do take it in to any Heartland dealer - they need to work on it. Any dealer refusing to work on your Heartland, just because they didn't sell it to you, needs to be reported to Heartland as scumbags! :D

2010augusta

I was looking at a 2011 Big Country at a dealership nearby in Fife, WA and they said that they WOULD service the Landmark eventhough they do not sell (or even know) that line. I am suprised at the lack of "product training" and the limited lines which the dealers carry. Maybe the next step for Heartland to up their "world class" customer service is to certify and rate the dealers, so their is so accountability on the dealers for their service.

thomasinnv

any time i have had warranty items that needed addressed Heartland has been right on the ball. I can't say the same for the servicing dealers. I had to remove my 5th from one dealer and take it to another dealer just to get the parts order placed, after 2 1/2 weeks of being told that they were waiting for parts i found out the order had never even been placed.

FYI, if the dealer tells you they faxed in the order they are lying. Heartland's entire warranty process takes place online, there is no faxing involved. And that i was told by Heartland.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Hey not a bad idea. The manufacturer can "rate" a dealer (A through F) based on: 1. Number of "do over" repairs; 2. Customer satisfaction; 3. Turnaround (how quickly the repairs are made); 4. Accuracy of the repair; 5. Volume of service The consumer could then use these service ratings to determine if they would want their unit serviced by that dealer. Maybe the RVIA could get involved in rating service facilities. Not only could the RVIA rate them they could 'certify' not only the technicians but the whole service facility. The service facility could be inspected and held to certain "standards". All in favor of this idea, raise your hands.

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
any time i have had warranty items that needed addressed Heartland has been right on the ball. I can't say the same for the servicing dealers. I had to remove my 5th from one dealer and take it to another dealer just to get the parts order placed, after 2 1/2 weeks of being told that they were waiting for parts i found out the order had never even been placed.

FYI, if the dealer tells you they faxed in the order they are lying. Heartland's entire warranty process takes place online, there is no faxing involved. And that i was told by Heartland.

Kinda was in the pickle as you with the parts ordering and warranty approval. I requested a carbon copy of all correspondence e-mailed to me and no more problems. I did find through the e-mails , that the dealer was lieing big time and was kinda cool seeing the dealer crawfish. I know Heartland is not perfect but dealers are the major bottleneck in most cases......Kenny