Rust in Sink - No More

SilverRhino

A few days ago, I saw a post that someone was having a problem with rust in their ss sink.

Not being full timers, our unit does have to spend time in storage. Each time before we park the BC......we carefully dry the sinks....then apply a light coat of mineral oil to the surface. This is the same oil that is used on cutting boards and wooden kitchen utensils.

I started doing this years ago with our first pop up........it really prevents the problem of surface rust.

Travel Safe!

lwmcguir

Any contact with cleaners that contain HCl or Muriatic acid will cause what appears to be rust to form on SS. Doesn't matter what series it is, it will appear to be rust. It wont rust across the entire surface due to the 80% or so iron content but it will certainly appear as spotty rust. Avoid all contact with HCl or you will ruin your sink. Don't use abrasive cleaners to remove the spots. It is better to use a good SS cleaner to prolong the life of your sink. You refrigerator will appear to rust as well if HCl contacts the surface also. The vapor alone will cause the problems to appear, it don't have to be the liquid or powder form to cause the spots.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
DW uses Bon Ami (available at Dollar General) to clean her sink and it works great.

SilverRhino

We also use Bon Ami to clean the sinks.

I guess to me it really doesn't matter if it is actually the sink or something on the sink....it still looks like rust! It is also my opinion that many things are labeled as SS bu, they are of poor quality and have imperfections or rust able materials built in. I've seen these "rust" spots in a number of sinks that are listed as SS.

Just my opinion and observation.....

Travel Safe!

2010augusta

Not HCI, HCl, it is hydrocloric acid, remember high school chemistry:p.

It is in some of the cleaning proudcts.

Northern Virginia
Ok that makes sense.

And, no, I remember very little from HS chem. Except that's where I met Mrs. Newbie:D

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
It's not "poor" quality stainless steel, it's which alloy did they use to make it. Some alloy compositions perform better than others...and they cost more. The double bowl kitchen sink in our house is stainless, 15 years old, and no rust spots. It's a Type 302 Stainless, 18% chromium/8% nickel, and it was not cheap. We use baking soda to clean it.

Any idea which alloy they're using in RV's?

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
Ok that makes sense. And, no, I remember very little from HS chem. Except that's where I met Mrs. Newbie:D

ahh that is okay, I taught high school science for three years.

Think back to your teaching days Alan. If Mr. Newbie met Mrs Newbie in science class, how much concentration do you think he was doing on science. His mind was pre-occupied with Mrs. Newbie:D:D

JohnDar

Think back to your teaching days Alan. If Mr. Newbie met Mrs Newbie in science class, how much concentration do you think he was doing on science. His mind was pre-occupied with Mrs. Newbie:D:D

Wasn't a biology class, was it :eek:

"Birds do it, bees do it...even little protozoan's do it...."

biggziff

It's not "poor" quality stainless steel, it's which alloy did they use to make it. Some alloy compositions perform better than others...and they cost more. The double bowl kitchen sink in our house is stainless, 15 years old, and no rust spots. It's a Type 302 Stainless, 18% chromium/8% nickel, and it was not cheap. We use baking soda to clean it.

Any idea which alloy they're using in RV's?

Sounds like the same thing to me....cheaper to produce means poorer quality and in this case...rust spots.

2010augusta

Wasn't a biology class, was it :eek:

"Birds do it, bees do it...even little protozoan's do it...."

I taught at an alternative high school, so I had many subjects including: Physical Science, Earth Science, Biology, Human Anatomy and Physiology, Geology and Astronomy along with a hand full of math classes.

Nothing like teaching reproduction to a pregnant teenage girl.;) ( they were already pregnant, I promise.)

Northern Virginia

Very little concentration on science! Mrs. Newbie was my lab partner. Thinking back, I guess my priorities were correct;)

Back to stainless steel alloys, we bought our house nine years ago and got the standard (read cheap) kitchen sink and have never had a single rust spot. It is American made. I don't actually know that the Landmark's sink was made in China but Chinese metals are of notoriously cheap materials and lousy quality. Some Chinese metals may be good but my experience in the building industy is that they are not.

On the other hand, Taiwanese products tend to be much, much better.

I am beginning to think Alan spends a lot of time at the Holiday Inn Express:p

JohnDar

Very little concentration on science! Mrs. Newbie was my lab partner. Thinking back, I guess my priorities were correct;)

Back to stainless steel alloys, we bought our house nine years ago and got the standard (read cheap) kitchen sink and have never had a single rust spot. It is American made. I don't actually know that the Landmark's sink was made in China but Chinese metals are of notoriously cheap materials and lousy quality. Some Chinese metals may be good but my experience in the building industy is that they are not.

On the other hand, Taiwanese products tend to be much, much better.

I am beginning to think Alan spends a lot of time at the Holiday Inn Express:p

I don't know if Alan does, but from what he says, some his students did :rolleyes: