Lake Tahoe to Texas via Phoenix

RubiconAg

So we are making our bi-yearly homage back to College Station for the Texas A&M V. UT football game. This year I am a bit more worried about weather, roads and travel times. Basically we are leaving the Lake Tahoe area around noon next Wednesday. We have three options to get south. Our main goal is getting to TX and enjoying time at the coast with Family and Friends and then heading to College Station. This will not be a sight seeing trip along the way.

1. Take 95 through Nevada from Reno to Las Vegas, to Kingman Az, ultimately hooking up with I-10 in Phoenix. GOOD: More of a direct route to TX. BAD: Weather in middle of Nevada (Tonopah region) could be cold, windy snowy, etc. We wouldn't pull into Vegas untill almost 9 PM which means a ton of night driving and I'm not stopping in BFE Nevada for the night.

2. Take 395 south to hook up with I-10 in the Riverside area. GOOD: Fairly decent, well traveled road. Several towns to pull off at, if we made it to Palm Springs area it would be a good overnight stop and we would be through the inland empire traffic. We would be south of Lone Pine by nightfall and its fairly flat and straight from there. BAD: Weather could be bad especially in the Mammoth Lakes area (snow). Several hard pulls in the Topaz, Independence areas.

3. I-80 to I-5 south to LA then hook up with I-10. GOOD: All interstate driving, weather doesn't become a huge factor. BAD: Way out of the way mileage and time wise, traffic in several areas (Sacramento, Fresno and LA) could be a nightmare.

So with these three options what would you do and why? I have traveled both 95 and 395 but not the I-5 option. Input...?

TIA

2010augusta

What about CA-99? we took it from bakersfield to Williams earlier this year and it was not too bad. being in the central valley the weather would be better, but it is a bit longer than 395, but shorter than I-5 and no LA.
cal%20trip.JPG

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Having lived, worked, and traveled the freeways of So.Calif most of my life i'd stay away from option 3. Are you stopping and meeting friends in Phoenix? if not maybe go the shorter route.

cliffbuilt

I agree with westxsrt10 avoid CA. at all costs.

Here's another option but it still puts you thru Tonapah

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou...43436,-108.808594&spn=20.765505,46.538086&z=5

Or,

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou...72399,-101.645508&spn=21.452646,46.538086&z=5

Either way would be more adventure than Interstate Hwy. :rolleyes:

Here's one that will detour Tonapah, & puts you thru Phoenix & Interstate Hwy.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou...10838,-111.621094&spn=20.428321,46.538086&z=5

There's a real nice RV park just north of Beatty NV for your first night, BeattyRVPark we stayed there last spring while visiting Death Valley.

What ever you choose have a great trip! :)

RubiconAg

Well after reading all the posts we decided yesterday morning to take the 95 route to Vegas based on pending weather that might be moving through the area Wednesday afternoon/evening. Basically head east before anything stops us......fast forward to last night....

The weather completely changed and now they have issued a winter storm warning! Tomorrow we are expecting 2"-4" of snow that will last well into tomorrow night and maybe into Wednesday morning! Thursday is even a bigger system with 2'-4' expected here in Truckee! I'm not sure I want to chance the accuracy of the weatherman nor try to beat out an approaching winter storm by going through the Nevada high desert on a 1 day window of slightly stable weather. So, we are now taking the trailer down to Roseville/Sacramento tonight and will stash it untill Wednesday morning. We will will then take 99 south from Sacramento to Bakersfield and connect over somehow to I-10. I'm not real excited about this route just based on southern Cal traffic/roads/construction but I'm even less excited about trying to beat a storm.. I think this route might be the safest option we have...Thoughts on this?

Also for those who have fought the so-cal mess (I have without the trailer done the 395/I-15/215/I-10 to Palm Springs) what routes would you recommend to get from the central valley over to I-10E? Also, which road is more desireable, I-5 or 99? Thanks for all the advise so far, any input is really appriciated, I just hope the weather cooperates with us.

2010augusta

Running on CA-99 we had no issues doing 55mph+ all the way from Bakersfield through Sacramento. The road is not the best, but not terrible. I would take 58 to either to 395 or I-15 and head south to I-10. I would avoid I-5 in So-Cal at all costs.

yondering

Retired-Full Timer
The route we have used on numerous occasions, is fun, safe and easy : From 99 in Bakersfield, take 58 east to Barstow, I40 east to Needles, 95 south to Blythe, I10 East to Texas. Nice roads, only pull going east is needles, and it is not bad going east. Safe travels, God Bless ya and give you travelling Mercy. C ya, Al W

wdk450

"Only Pull Is Needles"

The route we have used on numerous occasions, is fun, safe and easy : From 99 in Bakersfield, take 58 east to Barstow, I40 east to Needles, 99 south to Blythe, I10 East to Texas. Nice roads, only pull going east is needles, and it is not bad going east. Safe travels, God Bless ya and give you travelling Mercy. C ya, Al W

Hwy 58 from Bakersfield to Tehachapi (i.e. Tehachapi Pass) would rate in my book as a "pull". 400 feet above sea level in Bakersfield to 4000 feet above sea level in Tehachapi in 40 miles.

RubiconAg

Guys thanks for all the info! I think we will do the 99/58/395/I-15/215/I-10 combo. I talked to the Camping World in Rocklin and they generously agreed to allow us to park our rig in the parking lot tonight and come back for it on Wednesday on our way out of town. This is by far the safest option, rather than gamble on mother nature. Thanks for the input! I will keep you updated if anything changes.

The pull up Tehachapi Pass looks to be a fairly straight pull with little curves/switchbacks, is this a safe assumption? You have to remember that we live in Truckee, the trip to Sac is about 60 miles for us and just shy of 7200' vertical to Donner Summit. Its not the worst because its fairly straight with little switchbacking.

santafedave

Santafedave
Taking 99 is a great idea. When you travel on 5 it is only two lanes and the trucks back things up. 99 for most of the way to 58 has three lanes so it is easy for the trucks to pass and the cars can stay in the fast lane. Going up Tehachapi can be a bear if the wind is blowing hard you will see the windmills on the top of the pass and you can see why they put them up there. Once you are out in the desert it is beautiful straight and easy to drive. Have a save trip! D.

yondering

Retired-Full Timer
Tehachapi is not too bad going east, it never goes over 4% going east. The grapevine on 99 has some 5 and 6% grades. Any road can be a pleasure if taken with great attitude. God Bless ya all. Al W