questions from a want-to-be owner

BAGlenn

Hello all, I’m new to this forum and this is my first post. My wife and I want to move to a “starter” 5th wheel. We’ve had tent trailers, a travel trailer, horse trailers, hay trailers, and currently have a Lance cab-over. We are looking at mid-profile 5th wheels, Sundance, Wildcat, Laredo, Cougar ect. They all look nice, but the Sundance just feels better when you walk in. (Is it just me?) My truck is a 2001 Chevy 2500HD, 4x4, 8.1L, 4:10 rear, 6 speed manual, long bed with extended cab. I’ve had air bags and Rancho 9000 shocks installed. I don’t have a problem with power or 3000# sitting in the bed. I believe the truck is rated for towing at 15,500#. What we are interested in is a Sundance 2900MK, 3000RK or a 3100ES.
I would be grateful / eager to hear any feedback, advice, and/or suggestions regarding the 5th wheels, tow truck, or the process of finding the right 5th wheel and Dealer. Any comments, good or bad, would be appreciated.

jimtoo

Hi BAGlenn,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family of owners. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share. From just good old advice to repairs and mods made to their units.

I did move you post to the Sundance area, where you should get lots of answers from Sundance owners and others also.

Enjoy the forum and hopefully you become a member of our family.

Jim M

Last edited:

2010augusta

Hi there, Welcome to the heartland forum.

Your truck should be just fine towing any of the mid-profile units and perhaps even some of the bigger units.

As far a finding the right unit, you have to have an idea of what you want and look at lots of floorplans and compare features of each.

I see you are in Colorado Springs, I lived there untill Dec of 2008, So you have probabley gone to Pikes peak travel land. I knew to owners, but something has changed in the past few years and their service has suffered, so I'll warn you to investigate them if you are concedering them as a dealer.

I ordered our Landmark online through a dealer in Elkhart to save a lot of money, but I knew we would never be close to any dealer as we were planning to travel full-time for many years, so not having a local dealer was never a issue I considered.

You can't go wrong with a Heartland.

laffman

We were sold on the Wildcat 30Loft model. It basically had everything we needed, but I was a little concerned with the loft room. I thought the quality of the unit was good for the money.

Then we went to the camper show. I had never heard of Sundance. I walked into the 3300RLB, Sundance's loft model, and was blown away. The quality of the unit was so far above the Wildcat, the cabinets, bathroom, overall design. I thought I walked into a higher end unit. But I was surprised that it was the same price as the Wildcat 30Loft that was at the show. That made the choice easy. I haven't been disappointed with my decision.

That was last year's show. We went to this years show about a month ago, just because we like going to them. We looked at everything at the show, 5vers, MH, TT, etc. The only thing I wish I could have left the show with was a Heartland Cyclone 3612. I love that floorplan. Nothing else impressed me. That made feel really good about my decision about my 3300RLB.

Hope this helps and welcome to the forum.

Randy

Founding Georgia Chapter Leader (Ret)
BAGlenn, Welcome to the forum. My wife and I own 2007 3200ES that has been almost trouble free. The water heater was replaced under warranty.
That has been the extent of our major problems. I have had to tighten a few water lines but I have had to do that on all of the units we have owned.
Would we buy another Sundance? Yes we would. Hope this helps. Randy

Rmcgrath53

Hello Baglenn and welcome. It is important to have a dealer that is service oriented. You will have items that arent right from the get go. I am a commercial construction superintendent and when the job is done I usually have a punch list that needs to be worked through in order to be complete.The pdi is your chance to do a punch list. If you have a pdi list that is very detailed that will help you alot.. If during your pdi walkthrough there are items that arent right dont take possesion of your unit untill you are satisfyed with the fixes. The factory does not have a real picky Quality control guy because if he or she is a perfectionist, it would cost the company alot of money for down time fixes. I think this is true with all RV manu. Any way we had a number of fixes that freaked my wife out but were not as big a deal to me because of my construction background.
Our Sundance is near perfect and we are quite comfortable with our vacation home on wheels.They dont make my model anymore, its to bad because the floor plan is perfect for us. Good luck on you purchase.
Ron

Last edited:

goldenbetty

goldenbetty
Truck/trailer

BAGLENN,
As you can see from my signature line, we have the 2001 2500HD Chevy, auto, 8.1L, 4:10 gears. We are very happy with our choice of the 3055 Bighorn, and the way it tows. Good luck in your decision. Your truck will meet your challenge, I'm sure.

Happy Trails.

LaurieK

We have a 2008 Sundance 2900 MK and really like it. It had a few kinks to work out but we would buy it again!

Freckles

Founding New York Chapter Leader-Retired
We also have a 2008 Sundance 2900mk and love it !! We had someone with a Wildcat look at our 5er and was very impressed and thought we were fibbing when we told him the cost !!! He payed 10k more !!! Your truck is fine !! Good luck

buckeyebob

ditto!!!!!!!I HAVE A 2009 2900MK AND I REALLY LIKE IT.PULLS EASY AND STRAIGHT!!AFTER PULLING A TT THERE IS NO COMPARISON.LOTS OF FREE UPGRADES.10 GAL.HW HEATER,BIGGER FRIDGE,AIR.AXLES,TIRES

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Hey BuckeyeBob...YOU DON'T HAVE TO YELL...remember all caps signifies yelling....FYI

charris57

We have had our 2900MK for 3 years. We love it and others have really changed their minds on others after seeing ours. Good luck in your choice and your truck will be fine....Steve

loafer

We bought a 24.5 rl Sundance in May of 09 and are very happy with it we have done lots of Mods and are pleased with Quality o f product compared to price payed.
I know its not as long as your dream trailer but it is indicative of quality ,features,and costs compared to others. We shopped lots and saw wildcats ,cougars,and many other Forest River products but still came back to Sundance.As a first time trailer owner we feel you cannot go wrong as we chose Sundance after looking allot.
Floorplan is the MOST important part find a plan that suites your needs .Your truck will be fine as the Sundance are light weight units and 5 th wheels are the way to go for towing and handling.
Just my .02 cents worth
Regards Bill

buckeyebob

i was just too lazy to reach all the way over to the CAPS button!!!! sorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry!!! anyway i love my 2900mk ,and when you need heartland they actually answer the phone,email ,etc.not shouting ,BUCKEYEBOB

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
i was just too lazy to reach all the way over to the CAPS button!!!! sorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry!!! anyway i love my 2900mk ,and when you need heartland they actually answer the phone,email ,etc.not shouting ,BUCKEYEBOB

I forgive you...:D:D:D:D

jimtoo

Geshhh... and I thought I was gonna have to go in and modulate or muderate or modurate or maybe even moderate, or whatever mods do. Has this thread strayed away????:D

Jim M

LilGTO71

BAGlenn, I'm sure by now you've read every brochure available. Gets overwhelming after a while. We just picked up our 2011 Sundance 3300QS and absolutely fell in love the first night in it. Like you, we've owned and still do alot of various type of trailers. We also went to an RV show and was overhelmed at choices. After jumping up and down in the slide and looking at the wooden cabinets along with other great features, it was a no brainer. Bottom line, the Sundance wins hands down comparing to the other trailers you mentioned. Just my .02

John and Kay