Does size matter

nscaler2

Have a BH 3055 that has Mission 235/80/16 tires on it. Would like to change to Michelin XPS ribs. However the nearest size they have that matches is 235/85/16. This would make the diameter of the tire approximately 1 in largerer than the Missions. Does anyone know if this will work? Have any of you actually done this?

Thanks;)

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
fireflipper

Hi Nscaler
I have a GRand Canyon, but I know that I could not put a larger tire on due to only having about 1 1/2 inches of clearance between the tires that came on the unit. Be careful, and be safe. The factory uses the best size tires for the unit.

BluegrassMan

Hi Nscaler:
I agree as well, keep in mind that 1" in dia. is actually 1/2" on each side or radius. If you have the clearance I see no problem. IMHO.

ChopperBill

nscaler2 said:
Have a BH 3055 that has Mission 235/80/16 tires on it. Would like to change to Michelin XPS ribs. However the nearest size they have that matches is 235/85/16. This would make the diameter of the tire approximately 1 in largerer than the Missions. Does anyone know if this will work? Have any of you actually done this?

Thanks;)
nscaler2: What size tire did you end up with? I think the XPS 245/75 will keep the gap between the tires a little more respectable, but wanted to know if anyone got away with the larger tires.

nscaler2

Tire size

Chpperbill,
I ended up with the XPS RIBs in the 235/80/16 size. Yes they are a little closer together, however there isn't any conflict with the undercarriage of the trailer. Maybe they have changed the setup underneat between the time others bought thiers and the time ours was made. Took a 2000 mile trip with them over interstates and rough narrow moutain roads. Didn't have a bit of problems. They maintained their air pressure within a pound, and performed nicely on rainy slick roads for three ofthe four days that we were actually traveling. The peace of mind is GREAT glad we got rid of the Missions. Best $1135 I have ever spent.

ChopperBill

phranc said:
Best to check inside clearance as well, between tire and shock mount

Michelin web site shows the 235/85 at 9.7 section width on a 7 inch rim and the 245/75 at 9.6 on a 7 inch rim.