Fridge - Propane or Electric?

LookN4Ward

The kilowatt electric costs in the RV Park where our trailer is parked are expensive. I'm thinking of switching the fridge over to propane for operation. Is there pros and cons for doing it?

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Where are you staying? In the north where it is cold or in the south?
What is the cost per Kwh? Are you using Propane for heating also?

Electric is normally always on and does not have to be replentished.
If you run out of Propane in the night you will need the electric heaters.
At most places you have to remove an empty tank and go have it filled.

We use electric 99% of the time. Only use Propane to cook and when electric is not available.

BC

lwmcguir

If electricity is $0.15 per KWH you would have to get your propane for less than $3.20 per gallon to make it apples to apples. Then you have to factor the cost of transporting the bottles to be refilled. Electricity is almost always cheaper unless you are paying close to $2 per gallon for propane. Safer as well due to not having to transport and change out the bottles.

2010augusta

We found the the refirgerator runs cooler on propane and uses very little gas. During our 9 week stay in TX this summer we had to run it on propane to keep it cool enough, but we only used less than 30 gallons and most of that was for cooking, I do a lot of cooking. The electric cost $0.17per Kwh and propane was around $2.40 a gallon.

lwmcguir

We will certainly keep in mind the propane vs electric this summer. Apparently the propane burner puts out more btu's to get the ammonia circulating faster than the electric heater. Good to know. And good to know the large fridge doesn't use all that much. I don't like changing out the bottles very much although it is much easier in the Landmark than it was in the old SOB.

lwmcguir

Actual equivalent cost of propane versus electricity would be $0.17 KWH versus $3.65 for propane. This isn't counting any efficiency difference. Propane would probably be around 80% efficient. (maybe someone knows how efficient the fridges are on propane) Not counting hauling the bottles either although trips could sure be combined.

LookN4Ward

Where are you staying? In the north where it is cold or in the south?
What is the cost per Kwh? Are you using Propane for heating also?

Electric is normally always on and does not have to be replentished.
If you run out of Propane in the night you will need the electric heaters.
At most places you have to remove an empty tank and go have it filled.

We use electric 99% of the time. Only use Propane to cook and when electric is not available.

BC
We are in a 55+ Park in McAllen. The electric rate varies by season, it is higher when there are fewer rented lots and winter Texans present. When we return in January the rate will be around .17 cents. The propane costs less than $3.00 per pound and I don't mind taking the empty tank off. A service comes through the park and it is less than two miles to a refuel station.

I want to preserve the life of the fridge. I understand heat is the big enemy of the fridge and it seemed like electric power would not produce the heat level that propane would, but since you are heating the chemical to cool you are producing heat either way.

geeksrus

I use a calculation routine I found online that indicates if it is better to use propane or electricity based on prices... it also has an efficiency factor.

I can't seem to post it here. If you are interested send me an email to cgawkk@gmail.com & I'll forward it to you.

Eh!