Limiting a stay in Carbondale CO

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I just read in RV News that the town trustees in Carbondale Colorado have placed a limit of 14 days per year within town limits.

CARBONDALE, Colorado — One temporary housing option just became less of an option in this town.

Carbondale trustees on Tuesday revised the town's ordinance related to the length of time a person can reside in a recreational vehicle within town limits.

Previously, persons could occupy an RV as temporary living quarters for 14 consecutive days.

Under the revised ordinance, a person cannot occupy an RV for more than 14 days total in a calendar year.

“It isn't widespread, but we do get complaints from citizens about people living in RVs for lengthy periods of time,” Carbondale Town Manager Tom Baker said. “The problem is it was hard to enforce the way we had it.”

As it was, someone could skip a day or two living in an RV and start the 14-day clock all over again every few days, and still remain within the law.

By limiting the period of time to 14 days in a year's time, the intent of the ordinance should be more easily enforceable, he said.

“It was just an effort to clean up those kinds of enforcement issues,” he said.

Except for temporary circumstances, it remains illegal in Carbondale to occupy a recreational vehicle as a permanent dwelling unit, accessory building to a main residence, or for use in a home occupation.

I found the only RV Park in the town, the Crystal River Resorts and sent them an email inquiring about this news and will post their reply.

2010augusta

I am guessing that this law deals with those people that are parking in lots and on side streets and living in the RV, not those staying in established campgrounds. I have seen in others areas in Colorado where people a living in their RV just parked on the street in an industrial area. It will be interested to see the results of your inquiry.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
SSDD (same stuff different day) I mean the few mess everything up for the many.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I just got a reply from Omar Sultan to my inquiry from the park:

hi..we are not inside town limits , and are in a diffrent county and have special permit for long term stay..so dont worry any of the town ordinances dont apply..

In checking a little more, check the RV Park Reviews on this place.

-

jmgratz

No wonder California has such serious financial problems. They don't realize how much money the RV Industry and RVers bring into their state. Now they want to limit how long an RVer can stay. It used to be California here I come but not it is California see me go.

jmgratz

Okay, I see Colorado is following California's example. Too bad, Colorado WAS such a great place to visit. Glad I have already been there and done that. MHO

2010augusta

Yep, I lived in Colorado for 27 years and I think the problem is that too many Californians moved to Colorado and made it into another California.

I see you have not been to Washington yet, so after your done with your treatments, y'all should come up and see Western Washington next spring.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I just got a reply from Omar Sultan to my inquiry from the park:

hi..we are not inside town limits , and are in a diffrent county and have special permit for long term stay..so dont worry any of the town ordinances dont apply..

In checking a little more, check the RV Park Reviews on this place.

-
After reading the reviews, I think I might pass on that place.:eek:

OwensMom

Carbondale

Hey Guys, We lived on the Front Range of Colorado for 30 years and once we were invaded by the east coast and the west coast, Colorado was no longer Colorado!! We have moved to the western slope and hope that "they" don't find us. The problem with Carbondale is that it is so close to Aspen that the people who don't own homes in Aspen have moved into Carbondale. They are trying to make it into an upscale bedroom community of Aspen. They are building on valuable elk habitat and disrupting migration patterns. Next they will complain that the animals are eating their landscapeing and pooping on their lawns.
At any rate, there are nicer places to see in Co. Gunnison is a little cold right now but the skiing is good. Montrose is close to telluride and not as obnoxious as Carbondale. The weather is also milder. Grand Junction is a large city with most of the amenities, nice climate and campgrounds. Soor but I don't know anything about the campgrounds. Happy camping. Lynn

ChopperBill

We live on the Colorado front range, gateway to the Rocky Mountains. I have been here since "47". Guess where we spent every single camping day this summer? WYOMING! Cross the state line and it seems like a different world. Folks are sure a lot more friendly.