Onen Generator and Fuses

santafedave

Santafedave
When I start my Onen Gen for my 3795 Cyclone everything works fine for about 5 minutes then the power shuts off (the gen is still running) and when I check my panel it shows my battery at zero charge. The AC doesnt' work and I keep getting intermitent power. When plugged into shore power everything works fine. My question is where is the fuse or fuse's for the generator and is this the problem? Thanks, D.

2010augusta

The genny should have breakers, not fuses, and they are on the generator, behind the front cover. You may also need to check the transfer switch, as that is what controls wither the trailer is connected to shore power or the generator, could be just a loose wire in the transfer switch. Hope you find and fix the problem easily.

Northern Virginia
Does everything work okay on generator power when you ARE NOT using the air conditioner? If so, the problem most likely is the transfer switch. There are some things you can do to fix this. Also, do you have one or two air conditioner units?

John

santafedave

Santafedave
I have two AC's, the AC in the bedroom works fine it is the Central AC that doesn't work on the Gen. Where is the transfer switch? D.

jbeletti

Dave,

The transfer switch is located in the utility area, behind the rearward bulkhead wall.

My guess is that one of the circuit breakers for are tripped on the AC output of the generator. Remove the from cover of the generator and look for the 2 breakers. Reset them both, then try the main AC on generator power again.

Jim

2010augusta

Oh, A/C, meaning Air Conditioning, not AC meaning Alternating Current I was confused, but the two items to check are the same. good luck.

Northern Virginia
Dave,
I had/have the what sounds like the same problem. What it boiled down to is the Progressive Dynamics transfer switch. The switch monitors voltage on one leg of the transfer switch (on the generator side). When the main a/c is turned on, the the generator voltage drops below the switches acceptance level (around 100 volts). The voltage drops because as the air conditioner compressor tries to power up, it draws a lot of power (around 50 amps for less than 1 second). Because the genset is a limited supply of power, the voltage drops for that same instant. During that duration, the transfer switch drops out generator power. If you are on line power, it will switch to that or if no line power is available, it switches to a neutral state. After several seconds, the transfer switch see's generator power again at an acceptable level and tries to switch back to generator power. If the air con is still switched on , the compressor tries to turn, amps surge, voltage drops and the transfer switch drops out again.

I bet you here several loud thumps from the underbelly as this is happening.

If this sounds like the same problem you are having, PM me and I can tell you what I have done to fix this.

John

Superduty

Grand Canyon
My Landmark did something of the same you are talking about..

It turned out that when the batteries are drained down, from running my inverter, etc.. and I would start the generator, the converter was rated to charge up to 80 amps, the DC breaker was rated at 50 amps, after about 5-10 minutes of the generator running the 50 amp DC breaker would kick out. When that breaker would kick out, I lost everything,, Including all 12 volt power. I would reset it and all was fine for another 10 minutes. I finally just bypassed the DC circuit breaker until the batteries had enough charge and then I would put it back. The dealer said they have a 80 amp DC breaker, someday I will put it on...

Just something to check.