Dodge 2500 diesel question

We have a great 2004 Dodge 2500; 5.9L diesel,automatic and love it! We are contemplating the purchase of a 3670RL Bighorn. Will this combination work? And anyone have any pros or cons of the 3670RL...say 2008 or newer? We currently pull an older HR AlumiLite 30' @ 10K lbs with no problems. Thanks

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Check the specs for the RV and the specs for the truck. Your truck should be rated to tow the rating of the RV. Can u pull it...probably... Can u pull it SAFELY? You will have to answer that one.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
IMHO, a 3670 is a load for a "3500". Will a "2500" pull it...yes....will it stop it...maybe. Remember a "3670" is a Landmark Augusta less some of the frill's. The gross weight rating is 16K for the "3670".

lwmcguir

I know there are a lot of truckers on the forums. You guy sure don't depend on the Tractor to stop the trailer. Same goes with Coach's. If you don't have a good brake controller and good brakes on the Coach you are in trouble no matter what you have hooked on the front of it. You do need decent stability with good suspension and tires for sure on the TV but again if it is rated by the manufacturer it will work fine if it is well maintained. Most of my neighbors pull 24-28 ft GN with 12-14 1300 pound cows in them every week or so with 3/4 Ton pickups. The smarter ones use 450 or 550 units or semi tractors. However the majority have used the pickups for the past 40 years or so since GN were brought out. Comes down to maintenance and braking systems on the trailers and TV's.

2010augusta

With trailers of that size you should consider a dually, our Augusta weighs in at 16,500 and we're glad we have a F-450. Last time I checked the 2500 were not rated for a 16,000# trailer.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
I also had a '04 2500 dodge ram diesel truck and just traded it for a 3500 srw this past spring. One reason is because I wanted the jack brake and the 04 dodge transmission could not be adapted for it. The 04 transmission were still being made by dodge. The 2500 was fine pulling our Big Country but we also want to move up to a larger rig in the near future and felt that the 3500 was a better fit.

RoadJunkie

I'm actually asking myself the same question regarding my F250 (10K GVWR/3.73) and the 3670RL. I have read the threads in this forum and, it seems, there are two camps; those who have chosen to buy larger trucks and those who are towing this size rig with a 3/4 ton and feel confident while doing it. In the case of Ford, the difference between the 3/4 and 1 ton rigs is the overload springs on the rear axle...that's it. Oh, and the little sticker on the door. Engine, transmission, drive train, etc., are all the same. I feel that if you're not convinced your truck will handle the load you have two choices, buy a new truck or modify the 3/4 ton to handle the load. Some swear by air-bags for better control and load leveling and some have added the overload springs. Don't you imagine there are many 1 ton SRW and DRW rigs out there that are "overloaded"? In addition, one does not have to load the rig to the max GVWR of the trailer. In the case of the 3670RL you have almost 4,000 lbs difference between dry weight and GVWR! Be sensible in the loading and traveling habits (read, speed) and I think you'll do fine.

biggziff

IMHO, a 3670 is a load for a "3500". Will a "2500" pull it...yes....will it stop it...maybe. Remember a "3670" is a Landmark Augusta less some of the frill's. The gross weight rating is 16K for the "3670".

The brakes on the trailer stop the trailer. If you're worrying about if the truck can stop the whole rig, you better think again. No consumer pickup is designed to stop 23,000 pounds.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
The brakes on the trailer stop the trailer. If you're worrying about if the truck can stop the whole rig, you better think again. No consumer pickup is designed to stop 23,000 pounds.

You are right the trailer brakes should stop the trailer provided everything works okay on the trailer. Try stopping the trailer while towing at about 35 mph with just using the trailer brakes. How much luck will you have? Probably not too much in most cases. With disc brakes on the trailer you should have no problems. The truck brakes will assist in stopping the entire combined unit. Opt for safety. Your life and others on the road depend on it. MHO

dieselengineer

Charter Member
What is amazing to me is, of the 4 axles (two on the TV and two on the trailer) the trailer axles have more weight (load) then the TV axles. Example 7k trailer axles for a total of 14k versus 4k front + 7K rear TV axles total of 11k.

Then why are the OEM brakes basically smaller on the trailer axles then the OEM brakes on the TV? Trailer brakes should have more stopping power then the TV. Go for the Gold and get disks, the guy in front of you will appreciate your upgrade.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
If I am reading some of the posts correctly. Pulling a 40' 16K trailer is OK if you have a 3/4 tn truck. This "horse" has been beat so many times in the 3 years I have been on this forum it is just nuts. Adding air bags or overload springs does not increase the weight rating on your TV. That little "sticker" is what your TV is rated at....PERIOD I dont know about other states, but in California you had better have the correct endorsment on your license the pull anything over 10K. My rig's GCVW rating is 22K. I am at 20740# with a 3/4tn and a 34' Big Horn. That is 1300# under my GCVW. That is with empty holding tanks. PM "Larryheadhunter" about the ticket he recieved for not have the correct endorsment. Sorry guys, but I did drive semi's for a living and you are playing with yours and everybodies lives out on the highway by being over weight for your TV. Drum brakes 2" wide and wet wont stop anything and your TV with disc brakes might get it stopped in about 2 miles. A downhill stop at high speed will never happen. Disc brakes will get hot and fade and then what. I know for a fact that the trailer brakes on these rigs fade when hot. Even when you leave lots of room to stop, that will not always be the case. The roads are full of idiots in cars that do stupid things. If you want to pull overloaded, please post what day..time and highway so I wont be there. Putting my soap box away. Bob:D:D

caissiel

I have 7000Lbs axles on my trailer and when I set the controler higher I drag the tires and may damage the tires. When I try to brake with the TV and no brakes on the trailer the front truck wheels will drag and the antilock brakes just drrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr to nothing. I drive with the antilock brakes onhooked on the TV and set the brakes on the trailer to hold back, and in 16 years I have been in a few emergency situation that I had no problem to control. The best brake safety I found is not rushing and keep a safe distance all the time, look ahead and forsee the troubles is the best setup.

Jellystone

First of all--Happy New Year to all Heartland owners. On the topic of weight ratings for diesel trucks etc.,--ALWAYS FOLLOW THE MAX TOW RATING FROM THE MANUFACTURER & THE MAX GCWR. Those numbers are assigned for a reason (safety of people and equip.). There is no valid excuse or reasoning to overload your TV or camper. The risks are to high for yourself and others, period. Either buy a smaller camper or buy a bigger truck. Just my 2 cents worth.;)

rvn4fun

Pin weight

Maybe I don't understand pin weight. I was under the impression that if your 5th wheel has a pin weight over 2000 pounds, then you would be overweight even with a 3500 vehicle. I have always thought that most pickups were probably not legal to pull these big trailers, if the states ever opened up the scales to weigh recreational vehicles. Maybe I am wrong, just my thoughts.

branson4020

Icantre Member
Many dually pickups have payload capacities of 4000 lbs+. Payload would include the pin weight of the trailer plus the weight of the hitch, passengers, possibly fuel, and that box of donuts in the glove box. It is, technically, the GVWR of the truck minus the unloaded weight.

Jellystone

Branson 4020, your assessment is correct. For example, my TV has an actual payload capacity of over 4,000 pounds and the total extra weight I put on it is 3,400 lbs (pin weight,hitch,passengers,fuel,extra cargo, & coffee mug). I see you do your research also. Happy New Year to you.

caissiel

There is a lot of talk about the towing capacity of trucks and I always stand by the theory of the manufacturers recommended numbers are based on power train capacity. The braking is up to the towed vehicle. My Toyota Matrix extended warranty is void if I tow a trailer even if the brochure states I can tow 1500Lbs. So I will cancel the warranty because I want to place a hitch to tow my bikes. Manufactures protect themselves.
I have a single wheeled truck because I cannot see myself driving in 2 feet of snow with a dual wheeled truck. And the tires on the front are much wider for holding the added weight of the front end and braking.