SOHO Kit Questions

sprehoda

I am interested in being able to boondock as remotely as possible without going satellite. The 3gstore.com SOHO "Best" kit seems to fit the bill.

1. The amp will have to go in the overhead cabinet in front of the ladder per jpg. Wilson recommends a "well ventilated" area but I guess this will do. How do you connect to the omni directional antenna? Drill a hole behind the ladder straight into the cabinet and seal well? Has anyone been able to install a 12v outlet in the cabinet for amp power?

2. How do you rout the 20' cable to the panel antenna in the bath? Over the roof/ on the side/ through ducting? Ideally, I would think you would have the factory install it under the roof while your unit is being built to order.

3. Is there any concern that the panel antenna in the bath poses a radiation hazard while using the toilet?

4. How does the SOHO kit performance compare to Verizon's femtocell technology?

5. Will the existing SOHO kit be compatible with Verizon 4g LTE or will you have to upgrade?

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I am interested in being able to boondock as remotely as possible without going satellite. The 3gstore.com SOHO "Best" kit seems to fit the bill.

1. The amp will have to go in the overhead cabinet in front of the ladder per jpg. Wilson recommends a "well ventilated" area but I guess this will do. How do you connect to the omni directional antenna? Drill a hole behind the ladder straight into the cabinet and seal well? Has anyone been able to install a 12v outlet in the cabinet for amp power?

2. How do you rout the 20' cable to the panel antenna in the bath? Over the roof/ on the side/ through ducting? Ideally, I would think you would have the factory install it under the roof while your unit is being built to order.

3. Is there any concern that the panel antenna in the bath poses a radiation hazard while using the toilet?

4. How does the SOHO kit performance compare to Verizon's femtocell technology?

5. Will the existing SOHO kit be compatible with Verizon 4g LTE or will you have to upgrade?

Alex at the 3GStore can best answer most of these questions. Seems like Marc mounted his outside antenna on the rear cap and posted pictures and directions. Can't find the post right now though.

AlexSian

Mobile Broadband Consultant
i can't answer #1 or #2

#3. i believe wilson says the panel should always remain at least 18 to 24 inches away from people.

#4. a femtocell requires cable/dsl, so its more or less useless to RVers.

#5. zero chance the SoHo or any existing wilson gear will work with 4G.
(Sprint 4G is in the 2.5+ Ghz range. Verizon/ATT 4G is likely to be 700Mhz)