Savannah, GA

Dean

We are thinking of planning a trip to Savannah, GA in January for about 10 days. Anyone have any suggestions on campgrounds in the area or any do not miss sites while we are there?:angel:

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We have not pulled to Savannah but have friends who have gone down several times. They stay on Tybee Island. They have enjoyed it there and said they will probably return there in the future.

Tom of Ypsi

Try Hardeeville Rv Park, Hardeeville, SC about 7 miles north of Savannah, Ga. Nothing great but friendly owner that lets you wash your coach and truck. Price is less than $20 with Passport America and an easy drive to Savannah. Check out www.rvparkreviews.com for more info.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
We stayed at Skidaway Island State Park. It is very beautiful with all the hanging moss and such. There are a lot of trees but all are very large and not in the way of getting in and out of the sites.. They do have 50amp with all facilities including cable. The internet was not strong enough to work at the campsites but they have a table under a covered area by the office that you can use the WiFi with no problems..

I really liked the park...
Skidaway Island State Park

This is the reviews for Savannah.
RV Park Reviews for Savannah Georgia

When you stay at a park go onto RV Park Reviews and post a review. This is a good site for us to know how good the parks are for our use... I post to it on all parks I stay and I try to give good techinical information...

BC

ralphpam

Have lunch at Mrs. Wilkes' Boarding House. It is well known, so someone will be able to direct you to it. It is an experience as well as a wonderful and delicious family style lunch!

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
We stayed at Skidaway Island State Park. It is very beautiful with all the hanging moss and such. There are a lot of trees but all are very large and not in the way of getting in and out of the sites.. They do have 50amp with all facilities including cable. The internet was not strong enough to work at the campsites but they have a table under a covered area by the office that you can use the WiFi with no problems..

I really liked the park...
Skidaway Island State Park

This is the reviews for Savannah.
RV Park Reviews for Savannah Georgia

When you stay at a park go onto RV Park Reviews and post a review. This is a good site for us to know how good the parks are for our use... I post to it on all parks I stay and I try to give good techinical information...

BC
I agree that this park is very nice but watch out for the wild boars. (serious)

Tybee is beautiful. There is a private campground out on the island called Rivers End that is also very nice

Dean

Thanks so much for the recomendations. Don't stop now:). I'll keep checking back for further posts. Thanks again.

Mrs wilkes resturant is a wonder place to eat lunch. Get there early and stand in line. It is well worth it. We stayed at the KOA only because it was convient at the time. Only 1 road into and out of Tybee Island. when we went out there they had a crash with 2 people killed on the bridge to Tybee. We sat on the side of the road for 6 hours with hundreds of other friendly people while they investigated the accident.
Another place to eat is Paula Deans. Great food.
I will be going back this next summer because it is such a wonderful place.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Going to Paula Deens is a bit of a problem, or was for us. You have to get a reservation and then stand in line. There are a lot of people waiting to dine there.

Another place is Uncle Bubbas. Which is her Uncle's and it is very good also.

As for the Boars in the Skidaway Island campground, we never saw one or heard of one being around while we were there for two weeks.

The Wilks House is nice. I liked it better than Paula Deens. They seat about 16 people around a large round table and feed you all at once. You need to look for parking on Jones street and get in line there also. The line goes fast and you don't need a reservation. Check it out before you go there and go early.

There is also a nice theater downtown. We went to it also. Forgot what it was about but do remember we enjoyed it. It was fun to also ride the tour bus around town before you drive around. We ended up following one of the tour busses to see all the places. You have to go to the cemetery. Walk around and read all the grave stones. Don't miss the ones on the back wall..

BC

Fordsd250

Try Hardeeville Rv Park, Hardeeville, SC. Lots of room and trees. WiFi is good and the owner was great. Half price with campclub USA. Close to Savanah.

truknutt

Committed Member
If you have a DoD ID card there is Holbrook Pond Campground on Fort Stewart (Link)

$15 per day for electric & water on concrete slab sites. Dump station on premises.

jbeletti

Looking for a campground to stay at for up to a week in or near Savannah in mid-October. I have been on rvparkreviews.com reading reviews of CGs in and near Savannah. I have also read all the comments in this thread.

We like:
- long level pull-through site
- open view to south for roof-top satellite dish
- 50 amp power, water and sewer

Okay if they have it but we don't need:
- Bath houses
- Swimming pools
- WiFi
- Fire Rings
- Concrete pad

We don't need to stay in Savannah itself. We're okay with traveling in up to 15 miles.

Anyone know of a place that might meet these likes/don't needs?

We recently wanted to visit Savannah but could not find a campground that suited us. We ended up staying in Hilton Head, S.C. at the Hilton Head Harbor RV Resort. It was a short drive to Savannah and we could not have asked for a nicer campground. The staff was extremely helpful and the sites were some of the nicest we have seen. All of the pads are concrete with an additional pad for your tow vehicle. The sights are all back in but the roads are wide so you will not have a problem. The do have a number of water front sights and at least two pools. Good luck in your search.

Rodbuster

Jim, Fran and I stayed at Skidaway Island State Park and enjoyed it very much.
If I remember right, you can make a reservation, but not "site specific".

Hope this helps,
Dick

donr827

You might try the KOA in Richmond Hill, Ga. We will be there the last week of Sept. They said that the site they gave me was good for roof top sat. Never been there before so we will see how it is.
Don

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
Anyone have any updated thoughts/ suggestions on staying near Savannah? Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

scottyb

I wouldn't advise staying anywhere near the Savannah River for a while. I just received notice that our race on the Savannah River, next week in Augusta is cancelled. The lakes above, I believe Thurmon Lake, is full to capacity, and they will be making mandatory releases. The flow rate is usually around 6000 CFS and it's supposed to hit 68000 CFS tomorrow. The river is supposed to be 12' out of it's banks already. This would have been the 27th anual race.