Clearance

I recently bought a 2010 2900 mk this fall.The last fifth that I had was not as heavy and in order to tow it I had to take the blocks out under the rear leafs that were four inch and had them replaced with two inch and that leveled the truck out nice for towing.Now it is to low with this trailer and would like to put the stock ones back in,but I don't want to have to worry about clearance and hitting the under side of the fifth wheel with the box.I have a 2006 F-350 diesel crewcab.I really don't want to put air bags in.I was wondering if anyone else has the same truck trailer combo and what the clearance is like with the factory blocks in.

bighorn3370

2010-mk-2900, I do not have this setup. However, I do have a 20k Reese hitch, and it will adjust up or down with bolts, and the pinbox on my BH is adjustable. I think that you should be able to adjust them to be level while towing or after you replace your blocks. That's just my two cents.

caissiel

I always setup the height of the truck so as to have the top of the box parrallel with the trailer. Right now with my F250, stock blocks, and the springs straight when loaded the rear of the truck is just a bit lower then the front. The trailer is a bit low on the front, just enough that when I unhook the unit is level on the site. That way the clearance at the tailgate is a little more then the front. 5" or more of space surely is required to prevent scraping the top of the box to the belly of the 5th wheel. Mine has about 6" at the tail gate and a little less at the front. With the 2" spacers, one extra leaf and Camper Helper springs and the 5th wheel hitch as high as it will go I am perfectly setup for my confidence of not hitting the trailer. I still have one extra height adjustment on the pin box. The heartland 5th wheels seam to be higher then other trailers out there, made to fit the new higher truck setup. I think my trailer would be to high for a 2 WD F250.

lwmcguir

Something that I don't see on the post is the effect of the head light aim when towing. If you don't level the truck then you need to grab the screw/torque driver and adjust the head light aim so you don't blind the on coming traffic on two lane roads. That is why we have air suspension on all our TV's. We level the truck or have the rear slightly higher which is how we have the headlights aimed. This looks good, rides good, and keeps the lights out of the on-coming drivers wind shield. Just a thought as I don't like to have the on-coming traffic to have the light shooting up in the air. Really dangerous in fog or misty conditions as well as dark roadways. We start with adjusting the hitch/pin box to allow 6 inches of clearance at the back of the bed. Some Coachs may require additional height/length on the spring hangers or adjustments with the axles.