Bighorn heater and tank problems

frricke

I have a 2006 Bighorn Fifth wheel camper that we bought new. This week I found a few problems. The propane regulator started leaking, I had that replaced. The holding Tank 2 does not sound like it is emptying. The test gauge also shows that the tank is full. This morning I need to turn on the furnace and it would not start in. The fan would run for about a minute or 30 seconds and shut off. I had someone in this park take a look at it, but he could not determine the problem. I am spending the winter in southern Texas and sometimes the nights get chilly like last night. My husband passed away last winter here in Texas and now I need to try to figure out how all these things work. What could be wrong with the furnace? Need to know what to do. Does the furnace have any warranty with it? Please give me some answers. Franne

jimtoo

Hi Franne,

First welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information.

I moved your post to a better place for information from our members. Since your unit is an 06 it is very unlikely any thing would still be covered by warranty. Has the trailer been setting on location since last year or has it been used regularly? Does the cook stove work OK? Not out of propane? Also if the valve on the tank was opened fast, it could have activated the safety shutoff in the tank. You might try turning tank off and opening valve very slowly, so that the tank does not think there is a big leak someplace and shut down the propane flow to almost nothing.

The holding tank, when you pull the handle to open the drain, does it feel like it is still connected or does it move rather freely? Do you have a clear fitting on the drain so you can see what is coming out?

Give us a little more info and hopefully someone will jump in here and help out.

Where in southern Texas are you and will you be here for the winter?

Jim M

2010augusta

The problem with your furnace sounds exactly like what ours did when we ran out of propane, so have you done the obvious and checked that you do indeed have propane in the tanks? Next would be to check that the propane is getting to the furnace.

K

Kevin_Finn

This may be silly but make sure there is propane in the tanks and that the propane is turned on at the bottle. Try turning on the range top to see if propane is flowing.

jbeletti

Hi Fran,

Sorry to hear about the loss of your husband. You will find this forum friendly and helpful. That said, you will need some skills on your end to take advantage of some of the ideas you will get here. Or have access to someone with tools and skills that can follow advice given here.

While your RV is out of warranty, I would like you to gather the VIN and call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032. Please explain to them your situation (solo RVer and the issues you are having). Ask them for ideas on where to start on each problem. A good relationship with the Customer Service Rep for your area will be something you may find handy.

Best of luck to you and keep coming back to the forum. We are here for you.

Jim

caissiel

When I ran out of propane on one tank while the 2nd was shut off I hade to switch of the furnace and restart it in order to get it going after the propane line was presurized. I realized that the fridge did not start again untill I had to switch it back and fourth a few times. It not nice to roun out of propane in the north. I later took a shower and the water heater had not restarted also, so I switched it off and on and the burner started.

lwmcguir

With all of our campers in the past we always tried not to run out because of the previous post. When we did however, it was best to start the range and let it burn for 5 minutes or so. Then restart the fridge and water heater. Saved a lot of time for us but it may be different for some floor plans.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
I have a 2006 Bighorn Fifth wheel camper that we bought new. This week I found a few problems. The propane regulator started leaking, I had that replaced. The holding Tank 2 does not sound like it is emptying. The test gauge also shows that the tank is full. This morning I need to turn on the furnace and it would not start in. The fan would run for about a minute or 30 seconds and shut off. I had someone in this park take a look at it, but he could not determine the problem. I am spending the winter in southern Texas and sometimes the nights get chilly like last night. My husband passed away last winter here in Texas and now I need to try to figure out how all these things work. What could be wrong with the furnace? Need to know what to do. Does the furnace have any warranty with it? Please give me some answers. Franne

Where are you located in Southern Texas? If you're down in the RGV we can help you with you problems....:)

jimtoo

A post like this is what really makes me unhappy.:mad: A person comes on, makes a plea for help, and then never makes another post. And being a moderator, I know that this person has been looking at the forum as recently as 11am on Nov, 20, 2009, well over 2 days from the original post. I even sent an email and no reply. Why do people do this???:confused:

Jim M

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Don't know Jim...I've been checking this thread regularly, as we're very happy to assist...guess they got things fixed. Letting us know would have been nice....:confused:

jimtoo

Got email from Franne and she said she has contacted a repairman. Said no one in the park could help her.

At least she finally replied and I hope she gets things going.

Jim M

jimtoo

No Alan, She just said no one in park could do anything and she called repairman.

Hey,, did you get any of the bad winds and rain the other day?

2010augusta

The winds have not been real bad, but we can't leave the awning out. Might have to strap it down to have a dry area by the door. The rain has been about 2-3inchs a day, but today it stopped and things are actually dry. and man are the windows dirty:eek:.