King bed is too large

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Yes, a few people have and they turned out really nice. Look here.

Mark

lwmcguir

We are going to do the same. Gain the room beside the bed and make the overall room look much better. Tried to give away the odd size King with no luck so far. Odd you have to pay more for the Queen from the factory.

I have a 2007, 3670 BH and that was the first thing I have done; substitute the king size mattress for a queen. What a huge difference. You will need to trim the plywood on both sides of the box which is a no brainer. Good luck!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I like the king size bed in our 3670, just fine. We have a queen size bed at home, and when the LOML starts growling, I long for the extra distance. She says I snore, too, but I've stayed awake purposely and never heard it :D

wyleyrabbit

I agree with John. I love the king bed, especially since I added a 3" memory foam mattress topper to it. We have a queen at home, but king is way better. :)

lwmcguir

We like the size but not the loss of room around it. Going to take it out and gain the extra room. The retrofits we have seen appear to make the bed look much better which I know isnt the most important thing. Glad it works for some of you folks. We do have a brand new one to give away but it isn't worth much of a trip to take it or get it. As you noted it needs the memory foam to make it a good mattress.

Delaine and Lindy

One of the many factory options we went with was the Queen size sleep number instead of the King size. It will amaze you as to how much more room you will gain. Plus two night stands that you gain with the Queen size. We will in the spring downsize our King bed in the stick house. But we also Love the closeness. I believe you can down size youself to a Queen bed and for sure go with the Sleep number bed. We have had the King bed and want ever get another one. GBY...

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We love our king bed. We don't miss the extra room it takes up ... after all we don't live in the bedroom .. just sleep there. The king bed is one of the things that attracted us to the Landmark. We even had a king bed in our popup (years ago)

caissiel

It was the first modification I wanted to do on our unit. After having a sore back for 2 weeks and landing in the hospital for Hyatis Hernia attack. We bought a real good Queen Matress and I made the bed frame 12" smaller. I also raised the head of the bed so I sleep with the feet lowered. In doing this Mod. I increased the storage space by installing modified support for the bottom sheet that are 2" lower. We love the space around the bed and specialy the room at the back of the bed that have moved 6" away from the doorway.

2010augusta

I'm with Jim, I will take the King bed even if it means a bit smaller area around the bed. I can sit on a bed to get to stuff in the closet if that is what it takes. I have though about removing the sliding mirrors to allow more access to the closet, but I do not know what to do with 2 big mirrors.

fishinrvr

We literally took out the entire king bed and cut it down to a queen. With a little help from a cabinet maker friend it was a pretty simple project. We started by taking off one side then running the entire bed through a table saw…put it back together, added some reinforcements and voila! Ow…and we added a Tempur-Pedic mattress. It’s amazing how much more room we have. This next year I’m going to add a couple of small nightstands on each side.

beardedone

Beardedone
We ordered ours with a queen and we really like it. The benefit of that for us is that we didn't have to buy special bedding for the trailer.

Rockerga

Full-time WANNABE
The issue I see is the room is not not really meant for a King-sized bed. Look at the area beside it and you will see they are stuffed in-between the windows and it makes it quite difficult to get to the closet, try making the bed everyday!!!! OUCH!

Now, that is a personal observation as I can also see the need for some folks (as my son) have a need for a king due to their size. I just wish the manufacturers would allow for this in the design and engineering stages to give a true king-sized bed in a space that is made for it.

We are not large people but have issues with making it around the bed to the closets and yes we are anal so we like to make the bed everyday. We have a horrible time with our current model QUEEN (Making the bed) but are looking to upgrade rather soon so this is a serious consideration for us on "our" 5ver!

Neville

I made the modifications to convert from a king to a queen size bed. What a nice way to get extra walking space in the bedroom. It took me a full day to make the change over. I reduced all dimensions from the left side only, then moved the platform to the left as far as the slide mechanism would allow. Am wondering why the steel framework for the slide isn't centered on the slide floor.

fishinrvr

Hey Neville,

I was wondering the same thing in regards to the slide mechanism not being centered. What I ended up doing was cutting the frame of the bed to literally fit around the slide brackets. It may not seem like much but it gave another 3" in the front, which makes it just a little easier to get around.

wyleyrabbit

One could take this to the extreme and go down to a double bed and have even more room to walk around. I'd rather keep my quality of sleep at the highest level possible, but that's just me.

I still say I'd rather keep my king bed. To each their own, I suppose.

Draco Dog

When we purchased our 2010 Big Horn 3670, it had a king-size bed in it. @ home, we had a California-King, natural rubber mattress. That rubber mattress is so very comfy, I just couldn't part with it. So we had 4 men (because it is so heavy) carry it into the Big Horn. When we tried closing the bedroom slide-out, the mattress was too long and the slide-out wouldn't close without jamming the mattress up against the dresser. So, dear hubby, took a knife to the rubber mattress and changed it from a California-King to a king. We're lovin' it. Even if our bedroom is wall-to-wall-mattress.