Bulbs are failing

caissiel

My trailer is now only 3 months of ownership and the bulbs are failing already, I replaced a tail light and many 1141's inside and one 1156 on the security light. On the security light I put in an 1141 to drop the heat inside the unit. Lights the yard ok so far. The bulbs are all turning black, even the ones that are not burned out yet. I have been replacing the burned ones with Sylvania units from The Wally store, been buying them 4 at a time. Maybe It could be addressed, to supply better quality bulbs in these lights.

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
It hurts for all of us caissiel, and in 19 months we have burned out several so be prepared with plenty of replacements. You can tell early as the bulb turns black. Unless someone has a better idea for led lights instead, sorry thats the way it goes. good luck and safe driving.

Smokeater

Sorry to hear of your problem. A lot of times, the problem with bulbs burning out quickly, is the lack of proper voltage to the unit. 15 to 30 amp service to these large units is not enough.

lwmcguir

Check you voltage. Bulbs fail early due to high voltage. Appliances fail early usually due to low voltage. Either way check the voltage several times in several locations. Sounds like your converter may be putting out 16-18 volts. Something is wrong as it isn't normal to burn bulbs out that fast.

SLJKansas

SLJKansas
I had a couple of the 1141 bulbs fail within 3 weeks of buying the my Big Horn. I replaced them with the Sylvania 1141LL bulb (long life)haven't lost another one since.

lwmcguir

Long life bulbs handle high voltage much better and certainly are worth it. In all our years of camping, we just never hardly replaced any with many hours on them. Maybe they are using China bulbs?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Long life bulbs handle high voltage much better and certainly are worth it. In all our years of camping, we just never hardly replaced any with many hours on them. Maybe they are using China bulbs?

Is there any other kind??

JohnDar

I am still waiting for a decent price on the leb replacement bulbs myself. Then I will replace all of them with the led's.

Well, KaKampers got their 36-LED sets from here for a ridiculously low price http://www.virtualvillage.com/36-white-12v-led-circuit-board-rv-boat-light-bulb-1156-002510-281.html

But 36-LED's sounds kind of bright. These guys sell smaller sets, but their prices are higher. http://www.superbrightleds.com SkyGuy bought some from them and I bought one 9-LED set to try. It's nice, but pricey. And 1141 and 1156 use the same socket.

azbound

I haven't given it much thought but we haven't had any bulb problems and maybe it is because we have always been connected to 50 Amp service.

buckeyebob

my unit was an inside the showroom camper and it had 9 burned out units on delivery!!replaced 5 or 6 since last year.i never considered voltage problems,just thought it was cheap bulbs.i replaced the dim range hood bulb with another that worked real well(there was a post about this )cant remember the #offhand.caution these bulbs get really hot!!!!!!buckeyebob

jonesj2

Same problem here with our Sundance, we have replaced at least 10 bulbs over the summer. The bulbs I am replacing are also black and a few have been a real cloudy white color.

It sure is frustrating that this is happening. I have owned other units and never replaced bulbs.

lwmcguir

Unfortunately almost all of the LED's come from China as well. (same thing with most of the compact bulbs, some other country) They are still worth it at this point and I hope the US manufacturers can get into the game. Have found a couple that are made in the US. Folks need to remember that if our Congress and Senate continues to block the majority of new power plants then China will be the worlds manufacturer of most items. We have switched our home refrigerators and freezers to LED's. That has really paid off replacing the 60W Reveals that came with them.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Well, KaKampers got their 36-LED sets from here for a ridiculously low price http://www.virtualvillage.com/36-white-12v-led-circuit-board-rv-boat-light-bulb-1156-002510-281.html

But 36-LED's sounds kind of bright. These guys sell smaller sets, but their prices are higher. http://www.superbrightleds.com SkyGuy bought some from them and I bought one 9-LED set to try. It's nice, but pricey. And 1141 and 1156 use the same socket.

they are not as bright as you would think they are. We tried some with less LED's you could hardly see anything. They are whiter, but I don't think they are as bright as incandescant bulbs...JMHO.

lwmcguir

As your post states most all of the LED's for interior lighting leave a few lumen's to be desired. They are gaining on this and China is in the lead. The energy savings is tremendous and they will be the lighting of the future until something better is invented. We go with fluorescent where we need more light.

JohnDar

they are not as bright as you would think they are. We tried some with less LED's you could hardly see anything. They are whiter, but I don't think they are as bright as incandescant bulbs...JMHO.

Could be different LED's. The 9-LED unit I bought is almost as bright as the 1141 bulb I replaced, just not as harsh to look at.

We've never been connected to anything but 50A service and still popped several 1141's over the summer, mainly in the kitchen. Those tend to be used more than the rest.

wdk450

Tremendous Savings

As your post states most all of the LED's for interior lighting leave a few lumen's to be desired. They are gaining on this and China is in the lead. The energy savings is tremendous and they will be the lighting of the future until something better is invented. We go with fluorescent where we need more light.

The government departments that maintain traffic lights figured this one out 5 years ago. The universal switchover to LED bulbs in traffic lights saves a lot of energy, and better yet saves a lot in frequent bulb replacement labor costs. Somebody got a BIG beneficial suggestion award on this one.

Northern Virginia
A loose neutral (or negative wire for DC) will cause a bulb to burn out fast. I have never figured out why but know for a fact that this is true.

A few years ago, my front porch light at home would burn out once a month and it drove me nuts. I was commenting on this to an electricain friend one day and he said I bet you have a loose neutral wire somewhere in the circuit. Sure enough, the neutral in the switch box was loose in the wire nut. Twisted them together tight and the bulbs now work for years. Who knew!

John

caissiel

All nice replies, my concern was that the new fictures installed in our trailers must have cheap Bulbs that will eventualy get replaced. I like the Idea of the 1141LL will try to buy some. I worked for a home supply store for a summer and truly noticed the inferior quality of products we build homes with. Its hard to find the realy good quality product unless we pay what they are worth, which is much more then the Chinese product.