Buying Big Horn

If you had to do over again what would be the must haves and what you could do without options. I know the big horn almost comes with everything you need as standard equipment.

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
We ordered ours with dual pane windows, fireplace (you might be surprised how many CGs do not have fire rings or permit fires), gen prep, prep for 2nd air in bedroom and slide out storage.

Depending upon your intended use, see if you can get dual batteries or at least a second box (our next change will be to install 6V Trojans), a 5500 watt generator and a battery disconnect switch ( I was amazed that this did not come on the unit).

Been very happy with our comfortable unit that accommodated four adults for several weeks in Florida this past winter.

HappyKayakers

I would do without the slideout storage drawer in the basement. It's pretty heavy and reduces the available storage area. Since most of my stuff is in plastic bins, it would slide out easily without the drawer.

jpmorgan37

I wouldn't do without my slideout drawer. Invariably, what I want is somewhere in the middle and it sure makes it easy to get to without having to move containers. Two A/C's with heat pumps. When the outside temperature is above 35 degrees, the heat pumps do a great job of heating the coach.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
If I had to do it over

I would definitely have dual pane windows. Our 3500RL came with the kitchen island and we love it. Would order a Fantastic fan for the bedroom and the central vacuum. I woudl also prefer the 12 gal hot water heater. I would also like to have the automatic awning like the Landmark.

Anyway, that's just me.

Good luck,

Mark

nhunter

Our could not do withouts are bedroom fantastic fan, central vac, Dual pane windows, fireplace. We use our fireplace for heating the rear all the time and have a 1500w thermostat heater in the bedroom. I thought all Heartlands came with a 12gal H20 heater?

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Our Bighorn came with a 10 gallon. Early 2006 model from dealer inventory.

Maybe next time we will order our unit and specify all our desires.

jbeletti

One late night in the trailer after all were asleep, I sat there with my laptop and started to create my dream trailer, using my current unit as a starting point. What a long list I created. Unless I start playing the lottery, there's no way I could afford the trailer and the TV needed to pull it. But it's fun to dream!

If I had to pick just 3 quick upgrades I wish I had now:
1. Dual Pane Windows
2. Second AC (but keep the bedroom Fan-Tastic vent by relocating it)
3. Automatic Hydraulic Leveling System (Bigfoot/HWH)

Costs being a factor, #3 would not become reality for me.

Jim

bking

Having recently had the opportunity to "upgrade" to a 2007 Landmark, here are 3 things that I chose to add/change:​

1. Dual pane window. We're hoping this will help reduce the need for a second AC in the bedroom. So far so good given the humid 95+ temperatures of the past week. Thermostat set at 78 and is keeping coach cool without AC running all the time.
2. Euro chair recliners with ottomans. Previously we had the bulky and cumbersome swivel rockers. The Euro chairs actually give us more "living" space since we don't have to pull them out as far from the wall. Plus, they are much easier to put in place for strap down.
3. Primary AC with heat pump. We ordered our prior coach with a second AC with heat pump, but it wasn't installed until early last fall. By them we had gone through the summer and several days of humid 90+ temps with no problems keeping cool and had decided we did not need the second AC. But after it was installed, we really liked the heat pump on cooler nights in the fall. I've already used the new heat pump and it did a great job of warming up the entire coach.

Trap

Unfortunately Jim I think your a lot like me, no matter what I have it dosen't take long to want more, however then reality sets in and I learn to appreciate what I have (for a liitle while anyways) But it is nice to be able to dream.;)

Trap

dieselengineer

Charter Member
I agree with the above (thermo windows, 2nd A/C, etc.

However, the one option that I check off as a "oh well" that I have really grown to love is the central vac. The floor sweep is so handly that I will always have one from this point on. I am always tracking dirt in to the coach and with a quick sweep it is bye bye to the dirt. The other option is the power rear jacks. The power drill was always needed recharged with the jacks half way down. Now just push the switch and the job is done. :rolleyes: