Location of converter/charger on BC3500RL

Elevatorman

OK folks, need some help! I have done the stupid! A late night battery install to move the 5er, and I have found out I hooked the battery up backwards. (I remember a spark, but I assumed I had a light on or something). Right now I'm on a 110v 20a shore hookup and all outlets are polled correctly and working. The fridge also works fine. Had to reset the bedroom GFI. Usually the battery will charge when hooked up like this. I don't seem to be charging, I'm only seeing 12.78v on the battery, it was at full charge when installed. Slides work fine also. Where is my converter located so I may check for a blown fuse on the charger? None of the house breakers or fuses are blown. Thanks.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Eman, if you hook your battery up reverse polarity for just an instant, you will blow the three fuses on your converter. Hence no charging. Get at your converter and on the side you will see three fuses. Change them all. I don't remember, but I think they were 30 amp. Don't ask how I know this stuff.
Oh, on edit, I am not familliar with the Big Country, but remove the bulkhead in the basement and you will see it somewhere around or next to your stair to the bedroom.

Peace
Dave

gmc

Reitired - California-Central Chapter Leaders
your converter should be on the doorside big access door. remove the panel just inside the door on the left,you should find it there

jbeletti

Not sure if your converter is Progressive Dynamics. If it is, not sure if it's the 9260 or not, but here is what I found on Progressive:

They are ATC style fuses and are 30 amp each.

From the Progressive Dynamics website:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]9. What are the fuses on the front of the converter designed to do?
These fuses protect the converter from damage in the event the battery is connected to the RV in reverse. A reverse battery hook-up is the only thing that will blow these fuses. Before replacing a converter suspected of being inoperative always, check these fuses first! These are standard automotive type 30 amp fuses.
[/FONT]

Elevatorman

Thank you

Time and time again I've seen how wonderfull the Heartland family is, and again I have seen just why I bought a Heartland 5th wheel! I really think the support we get from other owners and Heartland employees on this forum is what I would call "priceless"! From post to repaired-1hr.
Thank you all for your help. It turned out as you said, all three fuses on the converter were blown. They were 25 amp. I replaced them, all is well. I think a small light in the battery compartment might be in the works next, to prevent bonehead moves like I just did! Must have been a senior moment!
I must say that there will also be some velcro on that wall to eliminate the screws, I have a feeling I'll be back in there again. So much is behind that wall. I was also able to fix a disconnected mechanical ground that came loose while I was there. Thanks again to all of you!! J.

caissiel

I have installed a single bulb light to light the batteries and the Hydraulic valves. Its a dangerous spot for a light because of posible battery fumes, The light is kind of hiden but can light the enclosure well, So I wait a bit after I open the access door before putting on the light

Elevatorman

Good thought about the fumes! I even thought that one of those stick on battery powered lights would work in there and eliminate wiring one in.

wdk450

Light and compartment access

Time and time again I've seen how wonderfull the Heartland family is, and again I have seen just why I bought a Heartland 5th wheel! I really think the support we get from other owners and Heartland employees on this forum is what I would call "priceless"! From post to repaired-1hr.
Thank you all for your help. It turned out as you said, all three fuses on the converter were blown. They were 25 amp. I replaced them, all is well. I think a small light in the battery compartment might be in the works next, to prevent bonehead moves like I just did! Must have been a senior moment!
I must say that there will also be some velcro on that wall to eliminate the screws, I have a feeling I'll be back in there again. So much is behind that wall. I was also able to fix a disconnected mechanical ground that came loose while I was there. Thanks again to all of you!! J.

Elevatorman:
For lighting that is used infrequently, the stick on LED, battery operated, hockey puck style lights are really convenient. WalMart has 'em.

For my compartment, I installed small hinges that you can pull the pins out of. Pull the pins, and you can remove the panels.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Eman, the LED ights work well. Bought them at wally world. Forget the sticky stuff....use a small screw instead. Found out the hard way, they wont stick for very long on wood or plastic.

Jwain

Elevatorman is not the only person who connected the battery backwards. I am glad I came across this forum. I think it is going to save me $100 on my warranty copay. I will check it out tomorrow.

Jwain

Sure enough. All 3 fuses were blown. Once I was able to get to the converter, replacing the fuses was a breeze. Took the advice of others and relocated the converter to a better location. Thanks for the help.