Slide Seals

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Hello!

Well, we are new to the forum and looking to you experienced owners for information!

We started RVing only 5 years ago with a 30ft Springdale 5th wheel. Our only regret was waiting until nearly age 60 to start the adventures! Anyway, we recently sold the Springdale and are looking to upgrade early this spring. We really like the BC 3355RL. We also are considering the Cougar 326MKS but the product just doesn't seem to measure up to the Heartland.

I have two questions about Heartland slide rooms...1) They advertise a double slide seal, one inside and one outside the room. Is this a significantly better sealing method than say Keystones T-tracked bulb seals? And 2) How is the outside edge of the roof sealed to the roof. This is of particular interest since our Keystone leaked at this outside edge where the rubber roof lays under a metal molding (in a stealth fashion) and literally destroyed the slide room ($7000+) to repair.

Many thanks!

jimtoo

Hi SJH,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information all willing to share and help.

The seals on the slides are what I call a bubble, round seal inside on the facing of the slide that seals to the wall when it is extended. On the outside of the slides are a wiper type of seal that keep rain or water from entering and this is on top and both sides.

I don't think you will go wrong with a Heartland unit.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

jnbhobe

I've had both, I didn't have trouble with either. I do think the Bighorn has less wind or air leaks. The rubber roof on the slide out is lapped over the side and held down with a metal strip. The top edge has an Eternal Bond tape strip at the outside edge.That stuff don't come loose !!!!! JON :cool: :cool: :cool:

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
The rubber roof on the slide out is lapped over the side and held down with a metal strip. The top edge has an Eternal Bond tape strip at the outside edge.That stuff don't come loose !!!!! JON :cool: :cool: :cool:

No kidding! I used Eternabond to seal the front cap of our old rig and also to repair the slide leak! Funny...on the Keystone, the rubber roof was not over-lapped down the front outside wall. It was simply butted up to the edge and covered with a metal molding! Not very leak resistant! The slide leaked there and at the top corners.

Thanks for the info!