Interesting reading-draw your own conclusions

SilverRhino

Very Interesting Results

Very interesting results........same type of thing would probably happen if other after market "items" were put to a true side by side comparison.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Another reason not to muck with our GM trucks :D. But then, the "others" may need improvement. I'm heading for the bomb shelter now.

2010augusta

it is a good read but the link does not load any of the data or charts/graphs/or pictures. or is this an IE7/8 issue?

ChopperBill

I have serviced and repaired many ATV's and motorcycles over my life time. I have a part time ATV service business. I quit using K&N and other oiled filters years ago. Found too many machines with a powering of dust inside the intake of those using those after market filters. I always recommend that the owner go back to a good pleated paper filter. Show the tests and their intake and they pretty well are convinced to back to OEM filters. Some tell me how much more power they get with them. Without calling B.S. I just shrug my shoulders and let them do their thing.

Delaine and Lindy

After market Gadgets ????

I used the K&N filter on one trip, just to much dust getting thru. Read those same results, and I'm convinced the OEM filters are the best. Actualy all the GM Duramax/Allisons we have owed I found the D/A combo doesn't need any after market gadgets. We have owned several GM Duramax/Allisons and never really had to go back to a dealership except for those very few recalls. GBY.......

caissiel

Ford and GM use the best airfilter available (Donaldson's), the only change might be the piping and fittings. The Ram uses a paperfilter that is much more restrictive. Who cares the Ram has plenty of power anyway. I use to change my old Air filters at every oil changes, now I have the Ford unit that has been there for 30,000 Miles.

boatdoc

I learned ion's ago, 35 years actually, that K&N's were trash. Wrenched for Yamaha on motocross bikes and wouldn't of believed it if I didn't see the dirt with my own eyes that those filters let thru. Now people put them on their 15K diesel engines and think they get more performance. That's marketing for you. Stock is best.

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
Used them for years

Have used K&N for years on almost everything I own that has an engine. We live in farm country and have much dirt in the air and never have I seen dirt on the inside of the throat. 225,000 on the work truck and 175,000 on the puller and never a problem.:angel:

SilverRhino

Similar study was done a year or two ago....Turbo Diesel Regester....for the Cummins engine in Dodge pickups. The filtration on the K&N filters did not meet the specifications requiered by Cummins!

lwmcguir

Best to stay with the Ford Super Duty filters as well. They are a very good filter and should be as they are very expensive.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
My only comment on this issue is on the GM vehicles. If the owner oils the K&N filter to much, the oil is sucked into the MAF and will set codes. Our dealer does not recommend using them. They let TOO much dirt into the air intake. My 2cts. Bob:D:D

suark

Yep, I've been a Polaris mechanic for 20 years and every atv that comes in needing a valve job or has excessive oil consumption has a K&N on it. We realized it years ago when the fuel injected engines came out, the injector is between the engine and the throttle body, therefore the throttle body stays dry of fuel, on these the amount of dirt build up in the throttle body is unbelievable with a K&N. We don't sell them anymore either.