Direct TV (Satellite) With NC 22FB

My heartland North country 22FB has a single exterior input marked "Cable". It does not appear that this input is compatible with Direct TV (Satellite) TV. I've tried it with the booster function in both the on and off position ... same result ... no satellite signal reaches the TV.

As a test I direct connected the Direct TV Satellite receiver box to my dish (cable through the door from the dish) and it worked fine.

Does anyone know if this is a common occurance or if perhaps I have a "fault" present in the wiring in the coach? I have used the "Cable" connection on a number of occasions when available in campgrounds with favorable results ... it just doesn't seem to work with the Satellite.

I've noticed that on other Heartland products (Sundance 5th wheel0 that the exterior input connection contains a connection for both "cable" and "satellite".

Before I install a separate input I wanted to double check to make sure I'm not dong something wrong with the present system as pertains to my attempts to hook up to satellite TV.

thebraunds
HOC 1096

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Ditto what Jon said. Thats why the other units have a separate satellite input.

Peace
Dave

jbeletti

Hello braunds,

The issue with feeding satellite into the cable input is the satellite frequencies can't make it past the amplified, switching wall-plate inside the RV.

You can however create a work-around. I will give you some very basic instructions as to what I would do. Think these steps through for yourself before considering this. It involves a little wiring and drilling but pretty basic none-the-less. However, you will be on your own. This is not a factory-sanctioned modification - just "what I would do" :)

1. Turn off the DC power to the RV (disconnect the battery)
  2. Find the wall-plate that has the red-button and red power-light on it. This is your cable/antenna switch and power supply for the amplifier in the TV antenna.
  3. Remove the wall-plate and identify the line that comes "from" that cable jack on the outside of the TV. Label and remove that line.
  4. If the removed cable is not connectorized, terminate it with an RG-6 F-connector.
  5. Purchase another wall-plate with a single F-81 double-female connector (splice) in it.
  6. Drill/create a 1/2" hole a couple inches away from the existing wall-plate. Pass the Cable input line through that new hole.
  7. Connect the Cable input line to the F-81 on the back of the new wall-plate. Screw the new wall-plate to the wall. Mark it Cable/Satellite.
  8. Using a coax jumper, you may now connect the new wall-plate to the input of your satellite receiver and viloa!
  9. If your satellite receiver has a TV antenna input, you can also connect a coax jumper from the original TV antenna wall-plate to that jack. Other options:
    - Connect the satellite receiver to the TV via HDMI, Component or Composite video/audio
    - Connect the TV antenna wall-plate to the TV via the RF/Antenna input jack
Have fun.

Jim

2010augusta

The cable wiring will NOT work with satellite systems. Satellite signal CAN NOT pass through splitters. You will need to bypass all the splitters or add a wiring for the satellite system.

On edit: Wow a lot of people responded fast.

jimtoo

Hi thebraunds,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share.

Yes, you will need a separate dedicated cable for you satellite. Your satellite will not feed through your amplifier or a splitter.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

(Man,,, I must be getting slow. I OK'ed this post, being your first and Jon replied before I could even get my finger off the OK button. So you see how willing and great the people are here on the Heartland Owners Forum.):D Wwhoooo... really slow...3 more before I could even get the edit on here.....:D

Jim M

jimtoo

Hey Alan... look at it this way... one just said (ditto) and the other with the looonnnngggg post just probably copy & pasted it,,, well maybe not,, he does type about 130 words a min.

jbeletti

Of course, I did have the benefit of typing my reply before I approved the new post. But when I submitted my reply, Mr. Quick Draw Jimtoo was already blowing the smoke off the end of his Moderation gun :)

We're all having fun tonight. Love it!

LookN4Ward

See this thread - //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=12913

It is pretty simple mod to convert the cable connection to work with satellite. All you need to purchase is a male/male connector from radio shack with a small nut, less than $3. Follow these steps:

1. Turn off the antenna power.
  2. Remove the tv cover outlet.
  3. Remove the middle coaxial cable.
  4. Carefully drill a 3/8" hole (or diameter of the connector) an inch above the factory outlet for your male/male connector.
  5. Insert the connector from the rear and screw on the nut to the protruding male connector. Tighten lightly.
  6. Attach the coaxial cable to the connector you added.
  7. Replace the cover.
  8. Begin watching TV

22FB and Satellite

Thanks to all for the quick response. The "that's what I would do" from Jim is an expecially intriguing solution.
Have a Happy Thanksgiving ... Y'all ...
From Alabama ... "The Heart of Dixie".
Bob Braund
thebraunds
HOC 1096

nemo45

The cable wiring will NOT work with satellite systems. Satellite signal CAN NOT pass through splitters. You will need to bypass all the splitters or add a wiring for the satellite system.

On edit: Wow a lot of people responded fast.

Yes it can. Anyway, Dish Network can. Here are pictures of my set-up and it works fine with the 2-TV DVR Dish Network. There are two splitters that I added and an A/B switch that I also added and the diplexer where the satellite signal goes into the DVR.

Attachments

• P1000437.JPG
    P1000437.JPG
    118 KB · Views: 40
  • P1000434.JPG
    P1000434.JPG
    160.2 KB · Views: 38
  • P1000436.JPG
    P1000436.JPG
    21.8 KB · Views: 78
  • P1000438.JPG
    P1000438.JPG