Florescent Lights

jimtoo

I know some of you have changed out the overhead lights to the 12v florescent fixtures. My question is, they are available in 16 watt or 30 watt, which did you install? I know the 30's will give off more light, but which is actually needed in your opinion? I guess I am asking which is about the same as the fixtures that are in the units now.

Jim M

thomasinnv

Jim, it's kinda hard to compare what is equivelant as far as florescent vs. incandescent. the florescent gives a different kind of light, which is fine for most but i have known a few people who didn't like the change and actually switched back. that being said, i converted a lot of the fixtures in my previous SOB to florescent. i found that the 16 watt were more than adequate in the larger areas such as kitchen/living areas that were attached at the roof/ceiling. in smaller areas such as over the dinette, at the vanity in the bedroom etc i installed the smaller 8 watt fixtures i happened to find that were the same shape and size as the oem single bulb fixtures. the florescent bulb in these fixtures was a u shape, and the fixtures looked really nice. couldn't even tell they were different until you turned them on.

in my opinion the 30 watt would be an overkill, but YMMV. to each his own.

pickuphunt

Florescent lights

I just replaced all the lights in the living room, kitchen, entry with florescent lights. I bought them on line at JC whitney. They are 12 volt, but the ballast converts to 110, so they use 110v lights. I bought the ones with two 13watt lights. I also switched out the light over the table with a circle florescent light. It was an easy swap. WFM (Works For Me)

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Jim i bought 2 of the 16 watts to try them out in the living area, i'd say their 20-25% brighter than stock. I then bought one 30 watt to install between the stove and table. We think this combo is just right. You are welcome to stop by and see how each looks for yourself. 27@ Rockwell w. Canyon.

nemo45

I bought 4 of each on Ebay. They were $17.50 for the 16W and $25 for the 30W, with free shipping if you bought a minimum of 4. If you do a search on Ebay you'll find them. The company was in Illinois. We put a 30W and a 16W in the living room, a 30W over the kitchen, a 30W over the dining area, 2 -16W under the cabinets in the kitchen, a 16W in the entryway and a 30W in the bathroom area. We left the two incadescent lights in the bedroom and the one in the commode room. We also left the icandescent lights in the closets. I could not find a price any cheaper than on Ebay, which is less than half the price of Camping World.

tweber

Founding Wisconsin Chapter Leader-Retired
Jim, I put the 30W in our BH above the kitchen area, and DW is please with the amount of light.

jimtoo

Thanks for all the replies. Probably will get some of both and try it like that.

Thanks again.

Jim M