Colorado Trip

Two Hands

We are planning a trip to Colorado in about late August and September, 2010. One of the places we plan to stay is Golden Gate Canyon State Park near Golden, Colorado. I have an "Official Map to Colorado Scenery and Adventure" and it shows the route into this state park to be very winding. Would you Colorado folks, or anyone else who has been there, be kind enough to tell be about this road. Is it a road that I should avoid with our Big Horn 3055RL?

SmokeyBare

I'll be following this post as well... We have yet to visit Colorado and have plans to make the trip this next Spring... Any information on Colorado will be very helpful.

lwmcguir

Make a point to see Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs. Several good camp grounds in the area. Take a trip up Pikes Peak in the TV and do the Cog Railway (need reservation) while you are there. If you like fine dining hit the Broadmoore hotel resort as well. Rampart Range road is a great drive in the TV if you don't mind gravel roads.

skyguy

I have lived in Colorado Springs for much of my life, and never been to Golden Gate. One of my sons works near there, I'll check with him over the Thanksgiving weekend.

I have been up Pikes Peak! (Worked up there for 15 years, long before Aramark took over the concessions...) One suggestion for seeing Pikes Peak, if you have enough folks, is to split the trip, send some up the cog, some up the road, and trade places at the top, so you get to see both sides of the mountain. It is an unforgettable trip!!

Don't forget the Colorado / Rocky Mountain Rally in May, at Gunnison if you can make it. There will be another Rally come late August as well.

I'll be happy to answer more questions!

Al S.

Delaine and Lindy

Garden of the Gods !!!!!

We haven't stay at the Garden of the Gods, however will be having our Rally there in June 2010. We are looking forward to going back to Colorade. Was in different parts of Colorado in 2006 and actually bought a new GMC 3500HD in Colorado Springs. Get ready for some long pulls if you go across I-70 it made the Duramax hum. GBY.....

Two Hands,

It's been 7 or 8 years, but DW & I have been to Golden Gate Canyon ST Pk. And you are right about County Rd 70 (Hwy 46) coming out of Golden, CO. We were taking DW's horse up to the park for some trail riding and took that road pulling a two-horse trailer. It's a lot shorter and about a foot narrower than a 3055RL. We actually pulled up there twice, one with me driving and the other, my wife. Both times were NOT enjoyable. The portion of the trip coming out of Golden is the worse.
You might try coming in on hwy 46 from hwy 119 (from the west). I think that route is more open. Anyway you look at it, it's a lot of mountain driving on 2 lane roads.

Happy traveling,

2010augusta

I lived in CO for 27 years, so I will chime in with a few places to visit in Colorado that might not be very common.

Bishop's Castle: near San Isabel, it is a hand built castle built by one man.
Calhan Paint Mines: near Calhan, it is a geologically beautiful place, stunning colors and many Who-doos to walk around, but it does require about a half mile walk on a path.
Manitou Springs and Garden of the Gods: Neat old town with lots of shopping and another geologic wonder, The DW and I got married in Manitou Spring and had our reception in Garden of the gods, so both are special to us.
Old stage road and Phantom Canyon Roads, Near Colorado Springs and Cripple Creek, nice drives.
Ouray and surrounding areas, Fantastic stuff too much to list but you need 4wd or a rental jeep to get to some of the areas. great in mid-July.

lwmcguir

Bishop's castle is definitely one of the oddest interesting places I have ever been. He was working on installing the bell when we were there. Amazing work but the light gauge walk ways are a bit scary. Certainly worth seeing. Michael Garmans gallery is one of my favorite spots in Old Colorado City. We enjoy Manitou and stay at the Blue Sky's Inn if we don't have the camper. Great suggestions.

OwensMom

Colorado trip

I agree with 2010Agusta. All of those sites worth seing but they are all on the front range(except ouray-pronounced You-RAY) Come to the western slope and experience a more authentic of what Co was. Absolutely go to Durango to ride the Durango-Silverton Narrow Gauge Railway-stunning. Then come over the pass to Ouray and the hot springs. See Telluride just to say that you did. The Dallas Divide is beautiful. Eat at the True Grit in Ridgeway. See the Uncompagre Plateau and Grand Mesa-largest flat top mountain in the world(I think I'm right about that?) Grand Junction is a great small city and the Colorado National Monument is just west. If you are here in summer come to the North Fork Valley(Hotchkiss, paonia and crawforn) For the best fruit you have ever eaten. Sweet cherries in June!! This is also winery country and you can tour our vinyards and wineries. See the Black Canyon of the Gunnison and tell me if you don't like it better than the Grand Canyon. On Mothers Day weekend we have the Hotchkiss Sheep Camp Stockdog Trials. See working(from ranches) border collies compete on range bred ewes. So much to do so little time. And there are literally MILLIONs of horse trails to ride. I'm exhausted!! Call us if you get here!! Lynn

lwmcguir

Sure agree with those sights. We have really enjoyed them. Pulling up out of Ouray be sure to have things in place and have at least 1/2 tank or more of Diesel. Hard pull but beautiful drive. The train is a bit dirty but sure worth the trip. If you are headed that way take in the sights on both sides of the divide and if you have time going over run down to Cripple Creek for a day or so.

buckeyebob

cave of the winds,and garden of the gods in mantou springs,pikes peak,we stayed at colorado heights campground in monument.beautiful front range view and the nicest people you would ever want to meet!!!!!!we needed a tire repair and when i went to pick it up at the firestone dealer in colorado springs he said no charge!!!!colorado is wonderful,take enough time to see it,buckeyebob

plumberdude

hello twohands
dw and i agree with info you have been sent,
we ride the roads on our motorcycles and try to vist all the places.
on 11/19/ we took home our 09 cyclone toy hauler we are going to pack-up and try other roads in this wonderful country of ours and to meet more great people.
ride safe and enjoy.
pat lori

cgunn

I agree!!!

Visit the Western Slope for sure...
I lived in Ridgway (Has No E) and worked for the School District for a year.
My daughters family lives there and she works for the local dentist.
We lived in the Weber RV Park just South of town,towards Ouray.
If you stop in,say hello to Marvin from Charlie & Joyce.
You might have to shoo the deer or elk from your RV spot.
Everywhere you look is a "Picture Post Card".
We bought our Bighorn in Durango at Tarpley RV from
Barney Miller,no not the one from TV...
Son-in-Law works for the power company in Telluride.
There is a LOT to see in this area..
There IS ONE RED LIGHT in Ridgway....
It is the ONLY ONE for THREE COUNTIES!!!!
Population 850!!!
You will enjoy this area....Check out the Trout fishing ...

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Right close to Colorado Springs is Cripple Creek and the Cripple Creek KOA. That KOA is at the highest elevation of any one in the US. We stayed there several years ago and was a great place to stay. If you like slot machines Cripple Creek has a large concentration of them. Also you can travel Gold Camp road but dont travel it in a large vehicle as it is gravel and one lane that hugs the edge of the mountains. A neat drive. An don't forget 7 falls...beautiful.

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Hi everyone and Happy Thanksgiving,
On our 2008 summer trip we went thru Colorado and Caves of the Winds was awesome as described below and wouldn't miss it. IMHO, it was far superior in color and easier to traverse than Carlsbad Caverns, which we experienced as well, so don't miss this option if you have the chance.
Cave of the Winds near Denver, CO

The Cave of the Winds near Denver, Colorado is a unique experience and one that will allow the whole family to leave in awe.&<!-- marker --> The Cave of the Winds is located in the historic Manitou Springs and provides for an amazing view of geology as you may never have seen before. In fact, the cave is considered to be one of the United State's more important show caves. It has been in use, providing an amazing view like this to visitors for over 100 years. It is named as it is due to an old legend which what told by Jicarilla Paches that migrated through the area well back into 1000 AD. These stories tell that a Great Spirit of the Wind resided in a cave in this particular area. Yet, the cave itself was not what it is today. In the late 1800's two brothers named George and John Pickett found these caves and helped to develop it into something magical.
Visitors can venture into the caves on foot, by horse and carriage (as they used to do) or by car and RV as they do today. The tour takes place on a 54 degree cavern. The tour, called the Discovery Tour, takes you inside the location and takes about an hour and a half to complete. You will be able to see about a mile of stalactites, flow stones, and stalagmites, just to name a few of the items found here.
Guests are encouraged to bring their cameras as well as a warm outfit as temperatures will dip to about 54 degrees in the cave. You will want good walking shoes and be comfortable!