shower leaks, again

HappyKayakers

Has anyone else had problems with water leaking underneath the shower enclosure? DW originally noticed it when she sprayed water directly on the faucet assembly. The leak would appear on the floor under the door, definitely not dripping from the open door. I checked the faucet assembly and found it was loose. Removed the 4" access plug and tightened from the back so the gasket is firmly in place. Still leaked. Applied plumbers tape to the threads on the access plug, still leaks, but not as much. Is it possible the water is coming from the ends of the grab bar just above the faucets?

ct0218

Try using plumbers putty under the flanges on the faucet. The grab bar screws are probably not accessible now, may try clear silicone caulk around the grab bar where it meets the shower wall.

Uncle Rog

Nope, nope,nope the leak is from the tub access not fitting flush with the shower wall, mine leaked from stripped threads on the mounting collar. I went to #10 screws, even then there was a gap. OSI, bath and tub caulk did the trick. I even think that was what was filling the liner with water......

svd

I'll bet the glass enclosure wasn't properly caulked where it meets the shower stall. I used clear silicone and haven't had any problems.

HappyKayakers

Our dealer recaulked all of the glass panels where they meet each other and the shower walls. That corrected the majority of the leaking. Now, it just appears to be coming from the area around the faucets and access plug. I ran a bead of silicone sealant entirely around the access plug and I'm still seeing a small leak. Will visit camping world this weekend and get a new faucet assembly.

lesjoy

we have a bighorn 3055rl that leaks everytime we use it, started with a lack of silicone around approx 1/3 of the sides and base(from factory}. since then I have siliconed every thing I can but still cannot keep water in the shower
Lesjoy

Wild Wind

After the first week of leaking, I used (every thing must be clean and dry) Clear Silicone caulked around all of the following:
1) all glass rubber seals, and maded sure to rub it into the seals with my finger, only do a small stratch at a time and have paint thinner with you to dip your finger in for lubrication.
2) Caulk where metal framework meets the plastic walls and floor pan
3) caulk from 9:00 o'clock around the top to 3:00 o'clock, the faucett, the access plate, and the grab bars or shower head brackets.
4) replace shower door gutter at the bottom of door, see my other posts on shower leaks.
You will not have any leaks if this is done properly, but if you still still do have a leak check the water lines and connections behind the shower.

Last edited:

GaryB

Question to Jim the Moderator - are problems discussed in this part (and others) of the forum seen by Heartland staff (I know they monitor the "Ask the Factory" portion)? Hopefully they keep a running list of issues reported in ALL parts of the forum so they can take corrective action on future units. I'm thinking of buying a BigHorn and don't want to be tinkering around fixing many of these problems myself (unfortunately I'm not very handy, either by choice or circumstance :( )

Thanks
Gary

jbeletti

Gary,

Great question. The answer is some but not all.

I have the factory auto-subscribed to receive an email each time a new thread/post is made to any of the Ask The Factory (ATF) forums. They do not get notifications of posts to any other forum.

However, I understand that from time to time, Scott, Coley and others from the factory peruse the forum.

Another opportunity for the factory to get input on what is happening to units out in the field is when they get calls for warranty service work approvals from dealers. I cannot say what their process is for collating all that information and instituting process improvements. I can only hope that they do in fact listen to all channels (this forum, other forums, dealers and customers) and improve what they do.

As a prospective owner, I urge you to take 10 minutes and give the factory a call. Ask for Scott Tuttle and ask him what's on your mind.

Take care,

Jim

DougLynne

retired Alberta Chapter Leaders
Jim, I had a the same thought, as we have a 3055RL on order. I'm thinking I should give Scott a call as the list is growing on things to check. Really hoping the the factory and the dealer do a good job of QA and PDI before I take possession.../Doug

jbeletti

Doug,

Also consider downloading a comprehensive PDI list to use yourself. Have a flashlight, a clipboard and your list. Plan on 1 to 2 hours to give everything a test.

While at your dealer, nothing is too tiny to have them fix/adjust. You're there and you still have your check. Check gets handed over when you're happy.

Hope everything goes well for you.

Jim

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
We went to pickup our 3055 with our own PDI checklist, that we got on the internet form one of the other 5th wheel forums. Took along my creeper to have a look underneath the unit. We took our time going over the unit, put bright blue masking tape on the things that we wanted fixed.
They were very acommodating and said yes to all. We waited until the next week to pick up our unit and hand over the check.
Our dealer has been great with all of our defects. We are paying the money,so nothing is too small to be fixed

jbeletti

rand,

The creeper and blue tape are great ideas. 3/4" orange dots from office supply may be good too. Thanks for the tips. Great also to hear that your dealer stepped up and did the right thing. Holding onto that check until you are comfortable in accepting the unit is the way to go.

Jim

Uncle Rog

The factory contacted me..............

When I posted the pictures of the uphill plumbing I was offered a quick repair date, however it wasn't my rig, and the owner was a second buyer so no warranty applied..........

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
hi Jim
Orange dots work ok, but when I put 6" of bright blue masking tape there was NO excuse for missing the problem and also I could write on it to point out the problem, if they could not see it themselves. Also numbered each one for a cross reference to the list we made for ourselves.

ChopperBill

Uncle Rog said:
When I posted the pictures of the uphill plumbing I was offered a quick repair date, however it wasn't my rig, and the owner was a second buyer so no warranty applied..........
Sorry but I think the factory should cover that kind of deal, second owner or not. It is really not a warranty issue it is a poor product issue. Could only help company image by making it right. Good for the company and the customer.