Tire Chains for Sundance 16" Wheels????

vtails35

I have a 2009 Sundance 3200ES and love it. I will be traveling from Washington State to AZ, during the month of December and I see that both OR and CA require that the "trailer" have chains if the trailer axles have brakes. According to the website, although not new rules, these rules will now be enforced.:mad:

My Sundance has ST235/80R16 tires. Good luck trying to find a chain that will fit. :( Remember most of us have a clearance problem with the tire and skirt, so I really was looking for a cable chain. The cable chain or standard link chain needs to meet the class "S" requirements, which means they fit snug for close clearance vehicles. They also need to have a anti-slide slip device, such as Z cables (not ladder) or center chain down the middle of the tire.

Diamond makes a link chain with anti-side slip, but it is huge. The ST tire seems to be the problem. Passenger cars never use this big of tire, re; 16" and large radius.

Has anyone used chains on their 16" tires? :confused: Who was the supplier and manufacturer? This is going to be a big deal now for those of us who live in or pass through snow areas. Any help would be appreciated.

:eek: Oh, by the way, the factory has no idea what to use. They recommended our gourp for the answers. Thanks.

lwmcguir

http://www.tirechain.com/

We had enough clearance on the curb side but not enough on the Drivers side with the original spring/shock set up. With the Center Point there is enough clearance for the Diamond Chains on both sides.

bill40

If the autosock is legal it would be your best bet for the problem with clearance on the trailer. I have used them on our Vue RL due to the large tires. Have a set for the BC just in case we get caught. I do use chains on the truck.

sunflower

A comment or 2 please.I have a friend that will be travelling south through Mont.Idaho,Utah in January and there always is a bad pass or two and usually a storm.He has disconnected the front axle brakes on his fifth wheel tandem and now only has rear tandem axle braking due to some I feel bad advice.He said it is safer that way and the unit won't go into a slide on the ice.He does not use chains.His tow vehicle is a 250 Dodge diesel pulling a light weight 26' Puma.

2010augusta

From the CA DOT website:

If you are towing a trailer on icy roads, go slowly, especially downhill. Use the lower gears. You may be able to gain additional traction for the tow vehicle by moderately releasing the tension of the load equalizing hitch. Always readjust the hitch after the icy road condition has passed or vehicle stability may be affected during normal driving conditions.

and from Wheel Life

"Driving on ice is universally regarded as bad news. If the gain on the brake controller is set properly, I would suggest leaving it alone. Be sure to review the recommendations in the information provided with your controller as to adjustment. Normally the brake controller is set so the trailer brakes lead the tow vehicle brakes slightly and then actuation progresses with the brakes on the tow vehicle. If the gain is backed off the controller to a significant degree, you are in danger of the tow vehicle being pushed by the trailer, almost certainly leading to a jack knife or at least an increase in heart rate. Dialing the gain on the controller up may result in the trailer sliding on the road behind the tow vehicle. Even with the best controller, the towable brakes are never perfectly coordinated with the tow vehicle.
"Remember, when wheels are locked, control goes out the window, so nothing is done suddenly. You may also want to review the laws in any states where you might be caught on icy roads. Some states require chains on the tires of both the tow vehicle and the towable depending on weight. Oregon, for example, has a law specifically applying to chains and RVs on icy roads. Speed on ice and snow is always determined by braking ability, never acceleration. Four-wheel drive in no way helps with braking.
"If I had been caught on ice, I would have done exactly what you did. Slow way down and rely on 4-wheel drive to keep the truck pulling. I would also shift down and leave the transmission in a lower gear to help retard my progress. That way I could rely less on the brakes. Allow as much room as you possible between your tow vehicle and the vehicle ahead of you and slow gradually to get a feel for the road, when coming to a stop. If you panic and lock the wheels, you won’t even be able to pick which snow bank to hit! Don’t forget to breathe and relax your hands on the steering wheel.
"When it's all said and done, driving in bad weather increases the risk of an accident. If there were a foolproof method to avoid loosing control on ice, you can be sure that the 'big trucks' would have made use of it long ago. Follow their example. Get off the road, if you can. If you can’t, slow and easy is the word from here."

vtails35

Thanks for the response. Very good advice, but I still need to obey the law and chain up. I think I might have found a source that will make Z cable chains for me for these tires. I'll post the source if it comes through.

Thanks again.