Rally location ideas - 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbeletti

Hello all,

Do you think it's too early to begin planning a 2012 rally? Not for me :)

Our North American Heartland Owners Rally is held "on-the-road" every other year on the even-numbered years.

2012 is no exception. This thread serves two purposes. First, as a long-term reminder to those interested, that the 2012 North American Heartland Owners Rally will be held "on-the-road". And second, that I am soliciting input from you for a location.

For reference, in 2008, this rally was held at the KOA in Branson, Missouri and in 2010, it will be held at the KOA in Nashville, Tennessee.

I have no particular affinity for KOAs as they relate to our North American rallies, but in Branson and Nashville, they were the best fit based on our evaluation.

That all said, I would like you to nominate a city and a campground for the 2012 North American Heartland Owners Rally.

Factors to keep in mind as you consider your nominations:

• The campground must be able to easily hold 100 to 200 Heartlanders. This means they must have at least 300-400 sites. So a larger campground is your target.
  • We "desire" full hook-ups at the campground (water, power "and" sewer".
  • We "prefer" 50 amp power for all sites, although not an absolute requirement (unless you want to run two air conditioners!)
  • We "prefer" to have a high percentage of our sites to be pull-throughs.
  • We "prefer" the host city/area to have something to offer in terms of sightseeing/historical value for those who like to explore the area
  • From a geographical perspective, I would favor a location that is the "most inclusive". By that, I mean a part of North America that affords more Heartlanders the opportunity to join this rally based on the chosen location. I realize this is a tough call for anyone to make. I also realize that having it near one coast, excludes the other coast and having it central, may exclude both coasts. Point being, no matter where we ultimately choose, it "will not" work out for all North Americans. So be mindful, yet not too hard on yourself for your suggested location.
With all that in mind, please make your city/campground recommendations.

When doing so, please also state why you feel your location/venue would be a good fit for this rally.

Thank you,

Jim Beletti
President, Heartland Owners Club

rjr6150

How about looking a little further west than before. Don't have a certain place in mind though

branson4020

Icantre Member
We would glady travel 1200-1400 miles to attend a national rally. From up here in the great north-left, that makes Colorado a good candidate, but I don't know of any facility large enough. 300-400 sites - yikes!

jbeletti

We would glady travel 1200-1400 miles to attend a national rally. From up here in the great north-left, that makes Colorado a good candidate, but I don't know of any facility large enough. 300-400 sites - yikes!

Bob and Joyce,

Thanks for your feedback. I too have been "thinking" Colorado.

The reason I tossed out 300-400 sites is it's really hard to completely "own" an entire campground for a rally. They'd have to clear their calendar and other reservations. As the club gets bigger, it will get harder to find campgrounds to fit us.

This is where some state fairgrounds can be the answer. This is why I visited the Kansas State Fairgrounds in Hutchinson. That and it's somewhat central. But man it sure is windy there. All the time too as I understand it.

Keep the ideas coming.

Thanks,

Jim

davebennington

Jim,

You haven't seen wind until you been to Hatteras. It was so bad last time we were there I had to pull the slides in.

Dave

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
How about Gillette, Wyoming at the Cam-Plex...great facility and those west and north have an opportunity to attend. Those of us in the south go north that time of year anyway. Plenty to see there too....remember the Escapade there Jim?

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
The Fairgrounds at Redmond Oregon has had the Good Sam rally and FMCA ralley's. Lots of room for 1000+ rigs with dry camping.
I know that dry camping is not everyones's cup of tea, but it only for a few days...

rjr6150

Jim
Kathy and I would be willing to travel 1000-1200 miles. If the CO. WYO. area is chosen and you need assistance with anything let us know.

Been to both the Garden of the Gods area and Wyoming both places would work out I believe for out needs.

katkens-DW

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Jim,

Kenny and I were thinking maybe the Smokey's, I found one camp ground that will hold 200 sites for clubs. River Plantation RV park looks real nice 9 miles from Gatlinburg Tn. The camp ground is in Sevierville. There is another that has over 200 sites Clabough's campground. Kathy:)

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
Jim,

Kenny and I were thinking maybe the Smokey's, I found one camp ground that will hold 200 sites for clubs. River Plantation RV park looks real nice 9 miles from Gatlinburg Tn. The camp ground is in Sevierville. There is another that has over 200 sites Clabough's campground. Kathy:)
Thanks for suggesting Gatlinburg and River Plantation RV Park Kathy. I've stayed there before. It's a nice park and I think it would accomodate the size of our group.

Gatlinburg sure has the sights to see as well with Great Smokie Mountain National Park and Pigeon Forge which are very close to the campground. Lots to see and do.

And for those of us who like to ride 2-wheels, the Tail of the Dragon is an easy ride to get to. We could get a group together and all "slay the dragon." I'd even be willing to coordinate and lead the ride to the Dragon. However, once we get there you are on your own to ride the 386 (I think) curves in 11 miles, at your pace.

Keith

Keith

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I was thinking further west so those folks out west can make a rally...Cam-Plex in Gillette, Wy has over 1000 full hook-ups.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I like Gillette, Wy also. There are many in the east that get to go to the Rally every other year in Goshen. The 2010 is in Nashville.. 2011 back in Goshen. Lets get togeather with those in the West Coast.

That is my 2¢ worth..

BC

wdk450

Alternate Central and Non-Central Sites

Jim:
It would be nice to re-think how to make the rally most accessable to the most people. Do we want to have a central midwest site every year that is closest to the most Heartlanders to the exclusion of the distant Heartlanders?

How about a policy of 1 year near Elkhart, and the alternate years' rally alternating around the more distant areas of the U.S.? My medical equipment professional's group does this. Their headquarters is in Washington D.C., and every other year the convention is in a nearby major East Coast city, but the years in between they have the convention on the West Coast, in the NorthEast, in the South, in the SouthWest, in MidAmerica. Using this model every other year some of the people left out from the MidAmerica rally can have a realistic chance of attending the Heartland national rally.

Status
Not open for further replies.