PDA

View Full Version : Rally location ideas - 2012

jbeletti
11-26-2009, 09:23 AM
Hello all,

Do you think it's too early to begin planning a 2012 rally? Not for me :)

Our North American Heartland Owners Rally is held "on-the-road" every other year on the even-numbered years.

2012 is no exception. This thread serves two purposes. First, as a long-term reminder to those interested, that the 2012 North American Heartland Owners Rally will be held "on-the-road". And second, that I am soliciting input from you for a location.

For reference, in 2008, this rally was held at the KOA in Branson, Missouri and in 2010, it will be held at the KOA in Nashville, Tennessee.

I have no particular affinity for KOAs as they relate to our North American rallies, but in Branson and Nashville, they were the best fit based on our evaluation.

That all said, I would like you to nominate a city and a campground for the 2012 North American Heartland Owners Rally.

Factors to keep in mind as you consider your nominations:

The campground must be able to easily hold 100 to 200 Heartlanders. This means they must have at least 300-400 sites. So a larger campground is your target.
We "desire" full hook-ups at the campground (water, power "and" sewer".
We "prefer" 50 amp power for all sites, although not an absolute requirement (unless you want to run two air conditioners!)
We "prefer" to have a high percentage of our sites to be pull-throughs.
We "prefer" the host city/area to have something to offer in terms of sightseeing/historical value for those who like to explore the area
From a geographical perspective, I would favor a location that is the "most inclusive". By that, I mean a part of North America that affords more Heartlanders the opportunity to join this rally based on the chosen location. I realize this is a tough call for anyone to make. I also realize that having it near one coast, excludes the other coast and having it central, may exclude both coasts. Point being, no matter where we ultimately choose, it "will not" work out for all North Americans. So be mindful, yet not too hard on yourself for your suggested location.

With all that in mind, please make your city/campground recommendations.

When doing so, please also state why you feel your location/venue would be a good fit for this rally.

Thank you,

Jim Beletti
President, Heartland Owners Club

jolar3329
11-26-2009, 10:02 AM
Go back to Branson. It is centrally located.

rjr6150
11-26-2009, 12:20 PM
How about looking a little further west than before. Don't have a certain place in mind though

jbeletti
11-26-2009, 01:26 PM
How about looking a little further west than before. Don't have a certain place in mind though

I appreciate your request. I need ideas though. How far from CO are you willing to travel to a large rally?

Thanks,

Jim

branson4020
11-26-2009, 01:48 PM
We would glady travel 1200-1400 miles to attend a national rally. From up here in the great north-left, that makes Colorado a good candidate, but I don't know of any facility large enough. 300-400 sites - yikes!

jbeletti
11-26-2009, 01:52 PM
We would glady travel 1200-1400 miles to attend a national rally. From up here in the great north-left, that makes Colorado a good candidate, but I don't know of any facility large enough. 300-400 sites - yikes!

Bob and Joyce,

Thanks for your feedback. I too have been "thinking" Colorado.

The reason I tossed out 300-400 sites is it's really hard to completely "own" an entire campground for a rally. They'd have to clear their calendar and other reservations. As the club gets bigger, it will get harder to find campgrounds to fit us.

This is where some state fairgrounds can be the answer. This is why I visited the Kansas State Fairgrounds in Hutchinson. That and it's somewhat central. But man it sure is windy there. All the time too as I understand it.

Keep the ideas coming.

Thanks,

Jim

davebennington
11-26-2009, 02:02 PM
Jim,

You haven't seen wind until you been to Hatteras. It was so bad last time we were there I had to pull the slides in.

Dave

jmgratz
11-26-2009, 02:45 PM
How about Gillette, Wyoming at the Cam-Plex...great facility and those west and north have an opportunity to attend. Those of us in the south go north that time of year anyway. Plenty to see there too....remember the Escapade there Jim?

2010augusta
11-26-2009, 03:23 PM
I too have been "thinking" Colorado.

Keep the ideas coming.

Thanks,

Jim

There is Garden of the Gods Campground (http://www.coloradocampground.com/) in Colorado Springs Colorado with 325 sites. I have stayed there in the off-season, but it has group areas and full hook-ups. Colorado Springs has pleanty of sight seeing opportunities locally.

kkamshop
11-26-2009, 03:25 PM
I second Gillette WY - gives us a good reason to go back to Yellowstone or Glacier!

sailorand
11-26-2009, 04:07 PM
The Fairgrounds at Redmond Oregon has had the Good Sam rally and FMCA ralley's. Lots of room for 1000+ rigs with dry camping.
I know that dry camping is not everyones's cup of tea, but it only for a few days...

rjr6150
11-26-2009, 06:47 PM
Jim
Kathy and I would be willing to travel 1000-1200 miles. If the CO. WYO. area is chosen and you need assistance with anything let us know.

Been to both the Garden of the Gods area and Wyoming both places would work out I believe for out needs.

katkens-DW
11-26-2009, 07:16 PM
Jim,

Kenny and I were thinking maybe the Smokey's, I found one camp ground that will hold 200 sites for clubs. River Plantation RV park looks real nice 9 miles from Gatlinburg Tn. The camp ground is in Sevierville. There is another that has over 200 sites Clabough's campground. Kathy:)

klindgren
11-26-2009, 11:14 PM
Jim,

Kenny and I were thinking maybe the Smokey's, I found one camp ground that will hold 200 sites for clubs. River Plantation RV park looks real nice 9 miles from Gatlinburg Tn. The camp ground is in Sevierville. There is another that has over 200 sites Clabough's campground. Kathy:)
Thanks for suggesting Gatlinburg and River Plantation RV Park Kathy. I've stayed there before. It's a nice park and I think it would accomodate the size of our group.

Gatlinburg sure has the sights to see as well with Great Smokie Mountain National Park and Pigeon Forge which are very close to the campground. Lots to see and do.

And for those of us who like to ride 2-wheels, the Tail of the Dragon is an easy ride to get to. We could get a group together and all "slay the dragon." I'd even be willing to coordinate and lead the ride to the Dragon. However, once we get there you are on your own to ride the 386 (I think) curves in 11 miles, at your pace.

Keith

Keith

jmgratz
11-26-2009, 11:18 PM
I was thinking further west so those folks out west can make a rally...Cam-Plex in Gillette, Wy has over 1000 full hook-ups.

TXBobcat
11-27-2009, 12:59 AM
I like Gillette, Wy also. There are many in the east that get to go to the Rally every other year in Goshen. The 2010 is in Nashville.. 2011 back in Goshen. Lets get togeather with those in the West Coast.

That is my 2¢ worth..

BC

DougLynne
11-27-2009, 10:40 AM
My vote would be Gillette as well so that more of the western folks can attend. Doug

jgallego
11-27-2009, 12:02 PM
I would also like to see it in Gillette.

Jaime

loafer
11-27-2009, 12:14 PM
Gillette works for us too allot closer for us in the west. Just my .02 cents worth
Bill

wdk450
11-27-2009, 12:40 PM
Jim:
It would be nice to re-think how to make the rally most accessable to the most people. Do we want to have a central midwest site every year that is closest to the most Heartlanders to the exclusion of the distant Heartlanders?

How about a policy of 1 year near Elkhart, and the alternate years' rally alternating around the more distant areas of the U.S.? My medical equipment professional's group does this. Their headquarters is in Washington D.C., and every other year the convention is in a nearby major East Coast city, but the years in between they have the convention on the West Coast, in the NorthEast, in the South, in the SouthWest, in MidAmerica. Using this model every other year some of the people left out from the MidAmerica rally can have a realistic chance of attending the Heartland national rally.

jbeletti
11-27-2009, 01:16 PM
Bill,

What you are describing is exactly what we are trying to do - so we're on the same page :)

Suggestions on specific locations and campgrounds is what I am after?

Keep them coming...

Jim

bill40
11-27-2009, 01:24 PM
I agree with Bobcat make it in the center so it is convenient to all be nice to meet some of the west coasters.

slmayor
11-27-2009, 04:29 PM
CO or WY would certainly be a more likely place for us. We'd love to see either.

jayc
11-27-2009, 05:41 PM
I think we'd like either Colorado or Wyoming.

ann1951
11-27-2009, 10:30 PM
We like either Colorado or Wyoming to.

hcriddle
11-27-2009, 10:50 PM
I need a good excuse to go to Colorado or Wyoming too! Can't think of a better reason than the 2012 rally.

62cwil
11-28-2009, 03:07 AM
Jim, I know of two spots but they are more in the West than Central. I have been to both and they can accomodate anything the club would want.
1. Oasis RV Resort in Las Vegas
2. Beaudry RV Park in Tucson AZ. Monaco was just their and had around 500 rigs.

bill40
11-28-2009, 11:27 AM
If you have it at the right time of the year I could leave the chains home and head to Mont. after the rally, Jer and I always wanted to go there.

jmgratz
11-28-2009, 12:31 PM
Jim, I know of two spots but they are more in the West than Central. I have been to both and they can accomodate anything the club would want.
1. Oasis RV Resort in Las Vegas
2. Beaudry RV Park in Tucson AZ. Monaco was just their and had around 500 rigs.

Beaudry is a beautiful park and even has some sites with private hot tubs.:D

TXBobcat
11-28-2009, 02:23 PM
I don't mean to be redundant, but we for one go north in the summer to keep away from the heat. Planning a rally in June or July in Arizona will most likely be pretty warm, while in Colorado and Wyoming or even in Montana would be in the west and a lot cooler climate.

Searched google and found this on Answers.com:
June in Tucson is pretty much high 90's to mid 100's during the day. Overnights are about 65-75.

FWIW..
BC

2010augusta
11-28-2009, 02:59 PM
I don't mean to be redundant, but we for one go north in the summer to keep away from the heat. Planning a rally in June or July in Arizona will most likely be pretty warm, while in Colorado and Wyoming or even in Montana would be in the west and a lot cooler climate.

Searched google and found this on Answers.com:
June in Tucson is pretty much high 90's to mid 100's during the day. Overnights are about 65-75.

FWIW..
BC

That was my thoughts too. I can't imagine going to Las Vegas, or AZ in the summer. I think CO or WY would be a much more enjoyable climate that time of year.

cookie
11-28-2009, 06:42 PM
I agree with Bobcat that northern states would be best in summer for a rally. I love The Rocky Mountains. But beware, just so you know it can get toasty there as well. In mid June, a few years back, we were in Hardin Montana for Reenactment Days. The temp was 105. But then again the next night at a higher elevation in West Yellowstone it was 27. So you never know what you are going to get.
One other thing worth mentioning is that I searched for larger RV parks in the areas mentioned and could not find one large enough, or one with a convention center to accommodate our size requirement.

Peace
Dave

OwensMom
11-28-2009, 07:55 PM
Believe me you do not want to be in Tucson or LV in summer. Hot, hot, hot. In Co or Wy can be warm but in June not usually in the 100's. And the nights cool off so that you do not need air conditioning. I cannot think of a campground large enough to accomodate the entire club here in CO. Maybe WY is the place. Hope you can come west, Lynn

mrcomer
11-28-2009, 08:14 PM
Well I hate to be a party pooper but Colorado or Wyoming may be too far for us. Hate to think we would have to miss a National Rally. Of course we would be there in spirit. I know others are more fortunate than us to be able to travel so much more and I hope that we get our turn someday.

Mark

boatdoc
11-28-2009, 08:34 PM
Well I hate to be a party pooper but Colorado or Wyoming may be too far for us. Hate to think we would have to miss a National Rally. Of course we would be there in spirit. I know others are more fortunate than us to be able to travel so much more and I hope that we get our turn someday.

Mark

I, we, hear you Mark. Although, there are are bunches of us out here, on the West Coast that would love to go to a national rally and when they are all back there it leaves must all of us out and has. Some of us talked about this at the Oregon rally last year. The rocky mountain states are very doable for several of us out here. Way back there, not a chance.

loafer
11-28-2009, 09:17 PM
Mark
We are looking forward to coming to your 2010 rally. The only reason we could make yours is we are going across Canada and will be down that way on the way back going to Nashville after your rally. we just bought our Sundance this May and retired so we are looking forward to joining the crew at both Rallys.Will be doing our own BC rally in september up here >Wy or colorado are do-able from here. we are on the west coast of canada
regards bill

jmgratz
11-28-2009, 09:26 PM
Check out this link for the Cam-Plex in Gillette, Wyoming. It is a beautiful facility with plenty of RV sites and plenty of space for seminars and get-togethers. Even has a rodeo arena. http://www.cam-plex.com/

cookie
11-28-2009, 09:55 PM
Wow Jim, that place is huge. That'll hold us for sure.

Peace
Dave

jmgratz
11-28-2009, 10:05 PM
It is a beautiful facility. We attended the Escapade there in 2008 in July and it was great. Weather was wonderful. It is close enough to be able to take a day tour to Devil's Tower National Park, Little Big Horn Battlefield, Mount Rushmore, and many other areas of interest. There are also several huge coal mines there that are available to tour. We toured one and it was very interesting. These are above ground coal mines. More coal comes out of Gillette than any other place in the US. Over 1000 train cars a day. Anyway the Cam-Plex was built to accommodate RV rallies and other large gatherings. Too bad every state doesn't have one of them.

Robert-n-Marion_Wengler
11-28-2009, 10:35 PM
Hi Jim ,I looked this rv park up in the Woodalls campground directory .
Golden Eagle Ranch Campground & Rv Park in Colorado,500 sites

Hope this helps

Edd and Janet
03-15-2010, 01:28 PM
Colorado Springs would be my first choice
Gillete WY 2nd Choice

ziggy
03-15-2010, 05:09 PM
I haven't looked at the CO places yet, but the Gillette location is huge!!! It could handle a couple of our Nationals at the same time! Its between 1300 and 1400 miles for us, so it would take 3-4 days for us to get there and the same to get home. It would need to be late June or July for us to have even a chance to make it.

TXBobcat
03-15-2010, 05:28 PM
I just had a thought. We should have it somewhere in ALASKA.

Couldn't you see it. 150 Heartland RV's going North to Alaska. Wouldn't that be a CONVOY... Wahoo Headem up, Movem Out.. LOL

Couldn't Resist...

BC

netters1
03-15-2010, 05:56 PM
Wyoming would be great for us as a first choice. We also like Colorado.

Bob&Patty
03-15-2010, 10:27 PM
Gillette Wyoming would work for us. Then we could go visit our deer in Montana. They miss us. Bob:D

bill40
03-16-2010, 10:41 AM
I just had a thought. We should have it somewhere in ALASKA.

Couldn't you see it. 150 Heartland RV's going North to Alaska. Wouldn't that be a CONVOY... Wahoo Headem up, Movem Out.. LOL

Couldn't Resist...

BC
Although Gillette would be great I'm going to vote with BC. 1. The trip would be great and 2 Just to see if the Chebby would do it.:angel:

jgoddardg
03-17-2010, 07:11 AM
Wy and Co are both a long haul from WV, but both are beautiful states. Co Spgs has a lot to offer with all the georgeous scenery, but it takes a lot to match what Wyoming has with Devil's Tower and Yellowstone. I've worked both areas and would love to bring Debbie to show her around either state. Actually, would probably hit both no matter which site was selected for the rally. Mt Rushmore and Badlands are within easy driving distance of Wyoming, too. Count us in!

hart1369
03-25-2010, 07:43 PM
we dont plan on attending either the 2010 or 2012 ralley and have not made plans for 2011 but i think closer to the left coast would be nice for the total heartland base

Bighurt
03-25-2010, 08:26 PM
I'd definitely take leave to attend a Co or Wy event!

Is there an information page on Rallies, as a newb to the heartland family. I'm sorta in the dark how they work? Cost?

jbeletti
03-25-2010, 10:51 PM
Bighurt,

Rallies are listed in a couple of places. First, scroll to the top of this page and click on the Events menu item on the navigation bar. There will be a long list with brief descriptions of what's coming up. For a friendlier list, again at the top of this page, towards the left, click on Portal. On the Portal page, on the right side, you'll find an Events listing. Here are all the Heartland Owners Events with a little more detail. Each is clickable.

Hope to see you at a rally soon!

Edd and Janet
04-09-2010, 01:39 PM
I vote for Gillette WY

Janet Sanders
Magnolia, TX

Big Al and Donna
04-09-2010, 02:07 PM
Donna and I like Gillette, Wy. It is also close to Yellowstone and Mt Rushmore and the beautiful Black hills.
Hey Ziggy, you folks could drive to our home and spend the night and then 2 days to get to Gillette. I have hookups at the home. We could caravan to Gillette. Just a thought.

ziggy
04-09-2010, 08:04 PM
That sounds like a good idea if this actually happens. Thanks.
Kristy

Cimriver
04-10-2010, 08:07 AM
Gillette sure looks like it's got what you need.

RoadJunkie
04-11-2010, 10:25 AM
We had a motorcycle (BMW) national rally at the Gillette facility and I found it to quite nice. But beyond that facility, the city infrastructure (restaurants, etc.) was not on par with somewhere like Colorado Springs.

bar20
05-02-2010, 03:35 PM
I don't want to be a party pooper but an eye opener. I live near San Francisco, CA about as far West as you can go. The distance between my city and Goshen, IN is 1915 miles. To Branson, MO it's 1566 miles. To Gillette, WY it's 960 miles. Someone in Ohio said Wyoming would be a hardship for them, it's 1186 miles from Columbus. Maybe it would, however I did mileage from Columbus, OH to Goshen, IN and it's 185 miles. So every other year a drive of 200 miles gets you there, for me it's over 1900 miles. Washington DC which is on the Atlantic Coast is 500 miles to Goshen. So if you live between DC and Goshen you are within 500 miles from attending a national get together every other year. I belong to a national motorcycle club which holds a yearly convention. They think the center of the USA is the Mississippi River, it's not, it's much further West. Even going to Gillette I have to drive over the Sierra Nevada and the Rocky Mountains. You do neither coming from the East. I vote for Gillette.

Do you want to check mileage between two locations?

http://www.symsys.com/mileage/index.php

Steve

62cwil
05-02-2010, 06:22 PM
I agree with distances. I would like to go but it is just too far for a few day rally. I live in the San Diego area which is probably little bit farther.

gasman
05-03-2010, 12:23 AM
If anyone was at the Great North American RV Rally in 2000, you will recall that there were few if any problems at Cam-Plex. The lack of restaurants was addressed by having food vendors set up temporary facilities on site. That rally had tons more rigs and people than we would have so the surrounding area may not have too many problems. Score my vote for Gillette.

shmily76
07-11-2010, 10:30 PM
I'm not a member yet (we just bought our MPG a month ago), but ran into JimB and his wife over the weekend at Jellystone in IN... and told us about the forums. Here's my 2¢, although being a newbie, I may stick my foot in my mouth.

I have to agree. We're in Chicago, and just drove to NC. That in itself was almost 2000 miles round trip. I would think it's only fair that if the odd years are in IN, that the even years be maybe somewhere in the middle from west to central one year, then from east to central on the next even year. Although if it were west, we'd most likely be out of that rally (we only get two weeks vacation as we are only in our 30's. Ahhh to be a retiree! I would LOVE to go see Mt Rushmore and such, but we'd be limited on our time.

Just my thoughts. Nothing specific and no answers to JimB's question, but food for thought.

I must say the Heartland Owners are a great welcoming group of people and we will definitely be planning on the rally in 2011!

Recovered from 25-May-2010
07-27-2010, 09:29 PM
I'm not a member yet (we just bought our MPG a month ago), but ran into JimB and his wife over the weekend at Jellystone in IN... and told us about the forums....

Hi Ronnie & Deborah,

It was great meeting you and the girls at the Jellystone. Happy to see you got online and read in another thread that we took care of that bowing issue you had in the front of the unit.

Speaking of rallies, if you can swing it, try to make the Springfield, IL rally if you can.

Thanks for your rally input and hope to see you guys again. For sure in Goshen in 2011!

Jim

wdk450
07-28-2010, 04:19 PM
I agree with distances. I would like to go but it is just too far for a few day rally. I live in the San Diego area which is probably little bit farther.

How about making the long trip East and back a pre-post mobile mini rally? Circle the wagons in the Sacramento area, over the Sierras to overnight (or 2 nights) in the Reno area (lots of attractions/dining opportunities), on to Salt Lake City for one or 2 nights, and finally on to Gillette. Same path back from Gillette.

slmayor
07-28-2010, 05:54 PM
Bill, I think we'd definitely be up for a trip like that. Great idea! As of now, we are planning on going if the rally is in Gillette.

PS: Bear's Den park was great. We'd love to move to Grangeville. They were doing construction while we were there, so a little noisy and dusty, but great as a base to sight-see the area.

sharmulst
07-28-2010, 06:44 PM
We vote for Wyoming in 2012. I think it is only fair to have it in the west so that people from Calif. and other west areas can attend. We had a great time in Nashville.

MrsSouthernNights
07-28-2010, 08:06 PM
LOL... is there a road from South Carolina to Gillette????? (joking!)
That sounds like an adventure for sure!!!! :)

Razorback
07-28-2010, 09:06 PM
Another vote for Gillette Wyoming! We also enjoyed our first Nat'l Rally in Nashville.

TXBobcat
07-28-2010, 09:21 PM
I like Gilette Wyoming also. That is in my old Stomping grounds.

BC

Ray LeTourneau
07-29-2010, 08:40 AM
I like the idea of Gillette also. While we were in Nashville, we seldom had time to get out and see the sights. When we're at a rally, it seems we spend most of our time at the rally site. Since there isn't much tourist stuff in the Gillette area, it shouldn't be a problem. In fact, it will make it easier to meet and greet more Heartlanders.

sailorand
07-29-2010, 10:22 AM
It would be great if the Rally in Gillette could be set so we can go to the Good Sam Rally in Redmond Oregon, then head for Gillette or the opposite. Maybe we could have a Heartland train going or coming back...

talley
07-29-2010, 10:33 AM
Time to go west... fits well with our longrange travel plans. Diane and I have made the last two Heartland International Rally locations the core of a 6-7 week trip. This had worked well for us. We have not visited that part of our country and Gilette, Wyoming would be a good fit.

Gilette, Wyoming in 2012

Thanks

07-29-2010, 10:50 AM
Should Gillette, WY be the place we select, Nancy and I plan on adding a week or two after the rally for seeing the area between Gillette and back East. Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Black Hills etc. What else of significant interest between Gillette and Chicago/Tennessee are must sees? I assume we'll make the trek on I-90 mostly. So things north and south of that route would be good.

Jim

cookie
07-29-2010, 11:24 AM
Jim, somewhere around the third week in June, Hardin Montana has Reenactment Bighorn Days (http://www.custerslaststand.org/). Might fit into your schedule. Don't know the dates for 2012. The reenactment is cool, and the town hosts a bunch of fun events. Good food at benefit dinners at churches and schools. A parade, and who could miss the Bed Races?
The last time we were there, it was 106* at the reenactment in the plains. Of course two days later in Yellowstone it was 30*.

Peace
Dave

jimtoo
07-29-2010, 07:32 PM
You want to be sure and visit the Corn Palace, (http://www.cornpalace.org/) and also Wall Drugs. (http://www.walldrug.com/) Both in S. Dakota and both have parking for RV's. Well worth the time to visit.

wdk450
07-30-2010, 11:10 AM
Should Gillette, WY be the place we select, Nancy and I plan on adding a week or two after the rally for seeing the area between Gillette and back East. Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Black Hills etc. What else of significant interest between Gillette and Chicago/Tennessee are must sees? I assume we'll make the trek on I-90 mostly. So things north and south of that route would be good.

Jim

Sounds like another possible Heartland Wagon Train!

07-30-2010, 11:14 AM
Great ideas. Keep them coming. At some point this winter, I should have a chance to create a comprehensive list in the 2012 rally forum so everyone can access it and consider some of the points of interest listed.

Jim

gasman
07-30-2010, 07:57 PM
The Harold Warp Pioneer Museum in Mendon, Nebraska is a must see. It is a little bit south as it is about 10 miles south of I-80 in Eastern Nebraska. They have a nice RV park on site. We spent two days there and could have taken another day.

jmgratz
07-30-2010, 11:33 PM
Don't forget to go to the Little Big Horn Battlefield just northwest of Gillette. Just north of Sheridan WY. Fascinating place. Oh yeah and don't forget the Corn Palace in South Dakota. Same town as Wall Drug.

Tom of Ypsi
07-31-2010, 07:37 AM
Jim,

Wall Drugs is in Wall SD and the Corn Palace is in Mitchell, SD approximately 220 miles east of Wall. Both are worth seeing but not in the same day unless you like rushing through things and driving like a madman to se everything.

kakampers
07-31-2010, 07:45 AM
Don't forget to go thru the Badlands, just east of Rapid City....

jmgratz
07-31-2010, 09:34 AM
Jim,

Wall Drugs is in Wall SD and the Corn Palace is in Mitchell, SD approximately 220 miles east of Wall. Both are worth seeing but not in the same day unless you like rushing through things and driving like a madman to se everything.

u r right. It was just we saw them both on the same day and it sometimes seems like everything is in the same place after seeing so much. And 220 miles is just a minor drive after driving around in Texas where you drive 75 miles just to go get a gallon of milk. Remember everything is bigger in Texas LOL

jbeletti
08-04-2010, 04:36 PM
Here's a static image of a map with some POIs on it between Crossville, TN and Gillette, WY. Click link below map for a current version.

9626 (http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=102395720798360567231.00048d0592e8cf00593d1&ll=40.178873,-93.845215&spn=9.666482,27.224121&z=6)
(click here (http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=102395720798360567231.00048d0592e8cf00593d1&ll=40.178873,-93.845215&spn=9.666482,27.224121&z=6))

BillyJoeJimBob
09-05-2010, 03:07 PM
West Coast Caravan to the National Rally Gillette, WY in 2012 (Tentative Plan)

Caravan originates in Sacramento, CA

Other rigs can can/will join us somewhere along I-80

Planned Route: I-80 east to Rawlins, WY, north onto Highway 287 to Highway 220 N to I-25 N to I-90 E to Gillette, WY

(Distance: 1250 mi Time: 18 hrs by car)

First Day

Start time: 8:00am

Sacramento to Winnemucca, NV (Trip distance: 300 mi…Time: 5 hrs)
Possible stop for rendezvous in Reno/Sparks, NV
Lunch stop: 68 miles east of Reno
Rest stop: 143 miles east of Reno
Spend night at the Model T RV Park http://www.modelt.com/ (http://www.modelt.com/)

Second Day
Start Time: 8:00am

Winnemucca, NV to Kimball Junction, UT (Trip distance: 385 mi…Time: 7 hours)
Possible stops in Wells or Ely, Wendover, Salt Lake City, NV
Spend the night at Park City RV Resort http://www.parkcityrvresort.com/contact-us.html (http://www.parkcityrvresort.com/contact-us.html)

Third Day

Kimball Junction, UT to Casper, WY (Trip distance: 391 mi…Time: 7 hrs)
Possible stops in Evanston and Rawlins WY
Spend the night at Fort Casper (Passport America place) http://www.ftcasparcamp.org/ (http://www.ftcasparcamp.org/) Passport rate $18.25 or
Casper RV Park http://www.caspereastrvpark.com/

Fourth Day

Casper, WY to Gillette, WY (Trip distance: 182 mi…Time: 3 hrs)

Please keep in mind that this is a tentative plan and it will be refined as input is received from other members.

sgtbigb
09-05-2010, 04:43 PM
Okay Texans, let show them what a real Heartland caravan is like! Somebody get its started:=)

jbeletti
09-05-2010, 08:45 PM
Jim - I like your detail in planning the caravan.
Gene - You know the Texas contingent will not be under-represented at a rally. They never are :) Thanks for getting it started there.

To all - when we nail down the 2012 location for certain, I can move the caravan discussions into their own threads in the 2012 rally forum. So each stands on its own (CA, TX etc.).

I am flying to Gillette on the 27th of this month to do a final look over of the venue before I make a the final decision and sign a contract - so we'll know soon.

Jim

62cwil
09-09-2010, 02:22 AM
Jim, might be easier to start out at the Oasis in Vegas and go up 15 thru Salt Lake. Lot's of nice campgrounds and beautiful drive. We have gone that way two years in a row up to Idaho and then Yellowstone. I think distance may be to much for lot of us each day. 250 or so a day easier or the bottom and legs nowadays.

BillyJoeJimBob
09-21-2010, 12:35 PM
Chuckles,
A lot of the Southern California and Las Vegas members will probably transverse up I-15 and team up with us in Salt Lake City.
Below is the scenario if we cut the distance for each day down to 300 or even 250 miles.

West Coast Caravan to the National Rally Gillette, WY in 2012

Scenario #2.

First Day

Sacramento to Winnemucca, NV (Trip distance: 300 mi…Time: 5 hrs)
Possible stop for rendezvous in Reno/Sparks, NV
Lunch stop: 68 miles east of Reno
Rest stop: 143 miles east of Reno
Spend night at the Model T RV Park http://www.modelt.com/

Second Day
Winnemucca, NV to Wendover, NV (Trip distance: 233 mi – about 4 hours)
Spend the night at Wendover Nugget RV Park http://travelnevada.com/hotels-lodging/info/wendover-nugget-rv-park.aspx

Third Day

Or Wendover, UT to Rock Springs, WY (Trip distance: 305 miles….Time: 5 hours)

Fourth Day

Rock Springs, WY to Casper, WY (Distance 226 miles…5 hrs)

Fifth Day

Casper, WY to Gillette, WY (Distance 183 miles…3 hrs)

I prefer spending only 4 days on the road and leisurely taking a lot more time getting home since there is a lot of things to see while we're in that neck of the woods...

Here’s a partial list of sights to see…

Buffalo Jurassic Thermopolis, Wyoming http://www.elderhostel.org/programs/pd_printFull.asp?DId=1-4NL855
Spearfish Canyon http://www.spearfish.com/canyon/
Deadwood http://www.deadwood.org/
Badlands National Park http://www.nps.gov/badl/
Cody Firearms Museum http://www.bbhc.org/firearms/index.cfm
Crazy Horse Memorial http://www.crazyhorsememorial.org/
Devils Tower http://www.nps.gov/deto/
Grand Tetons National Park http://www.nps.gov/grte/
Cloud Peak Skyway http://www.wyomingtourism.org/overview/Cloud-Peak-Skyway-Scenic-Byway/2757
Wind Cave National Park http://www.travelsd.com/placestogo/caves.asp
Jewel Cave National Park http://www.travelsd.com/placestogo/caves.asp
Laura Ingalls Wilder http://www.travelsd.com/placestogo/laura.asp
Sturgis http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sturgis,_South_Dakota
Custer’s Last Stand
Yellowstone

jmgratz
09-21-2010, 08:45 PM
Believe it or not the Escapade (national Escapees rally) will be at the Cam-Plex in Gillette Wy in 2011. It is a great facility.

chief190
10-27-2010, 10:15 PM
As a new Bighorn owner I'd like to see it close to home. I have ties to Napa County Fair in Calistoga CA and could help with info to anyone who needs info we are located in the Heart of the Napa Valley and The middle on the California wine country. There are spas in town that offer a large range of mud baths and other spa services also a nine hole golf course on premisses. We have had Fleetwood rally here and have acomidated up to 200 rigs at times. also Country Coach is planning a rally here in 2011. There are plenty of Restraunts and historic down town with day trips to San Fransisco and close to Sonoma county. If you need more info about the Fairgrounds the web site is www.napacountyfair.org (http://www.napacountyfair.org) . I am on the Board of Directors of the Napa County Fair and can help with info.

62cwil
10-28-2010, 01:32 AM
Welcome to the Heartland family. I am an owner just like you but have been following the location of rallies just like you. Many of us have pleaded for a more centralized rally rather than back in Ind and East. From what I have heard and read on other threads is looks like the one at the Cam-Plex in Gillette Wy may have already been selected but I don't know for sure. Their is a CA Chapter leader who is planning a West Coast Regional Rally in Sparks NV. the first week of July. Their is also a Central Ca leader who holds rallies up that way. Hopefully one of them will chime in on your suggestion. Look forward to seeing you at a future rally.

jbeletti
10-28-2010, 11:13 AM
Hi gang,

Thank you everyone for the feedback since this thread was started. The location has been selected. It will be in June in Gillette, WY at the Cam-Plex. I am just now coming off the road for the rest of the year and will be able to create a thread/announcement on the 2011 and the 2012 rallies. I will also start one on asking for locations for the 2014 rally. The 2013 rally, like all odd-year rallies is planned for Elkhart County, Indiana.

Thanks,

Jim

wfwilson
10-28-2010, 12:25 PM
Gillette Wy Sounds Great!
Regards Wayne

back2nature
10-29-2010, 01:55 PM
Chuckles,
A lot of the Southern California and Las Vegas members will probably transverse up I-15 and team up with us in Salt Lake City.

I agree. Since we are in the Los Angeles area, we would probably do the trip from L.A. thru Las Vegas to Salt Lake City and meet up there. Lots of pretty country going thru Utah. We've done the trip up thru central Calif. so many times, we're a bit bored with it. Keep me posted on this section of the caravan. Sounds like fun.

klindgren
10-30-2010, 06:09 AM
Hi gang,

Thank you everyone for the feedback since this thread was started. The location has been selected. It will be in June in Gillette, WY at the Cam-Plex. I am just now coming off the road for the rest of the year and will be able to create a thread/announcement on the 2011 and the 2012 rallies. I will also start one on asking for locations for the 2014 rally. The 2013 rally, like all odd-year rallies is planned for Elkhart County, Indiana.

Thanks,

Jim

Jim, Since Goshen in 2011 will be our first National Rally, I don't have any experience to draw from, thus the question: Are sob's allowed at the rally? Our camping buddies own a sob and we are planning an "out west" trip for 2012. I'd really like to incorporate Gillette and the National Rally in our planned travel, but don't want to "impose" on the Rally if sob's are not welcome. Knowing the HOC members that I do, I can't believe that would be a problem, but just don't want to assume (you know what that does).

Thanks,

Keith

jbeletti
10-31-2010, 08:40 AM
Keith,

SOBs are not able to join the National rally of the Heartland Owners Club - sorry.

Jim

grizzlygiant
10-31-2010, 10:54 AM
Gillette for us!!

klindgren
11-01-2010, 09:40 PM
Keith,

SOBs are not able to join the National rally of the Heartland Owners Club - sorry.

Jim
Well, that OK, I just need to work on them and get them into a Heartland before 2012. Her brother is an HOC member from Reno, so if the two of us work on them to leave the Dark Side and come to the Light, then they'll be able to join us.

ziggy
11-01-2010, 10:21 PM
We'll do our best to be there too!

jbeletti
11-02-2010, 07:35 AM
Well, that OK, I just need to work on them and get them into a Heartland before 2012. Her brother is an HOC member from Reno, so if the two of us work on them to leave the Dark Side and come to the Light, then they'll be able to join us.

You can do it Keith! Thanks for understanding too. Each year, the question comes up. And it's valid to ask. I am just appreciative for the understanding of my position. This is a once a year, very special rally for Heartland product owners and the cost to Heartland is very high versus the cost paid by attendees. Rather than charge SOBs 2x or 3x the fee to attend, we will keep it exclusive to Heartlanders.

See y'all in Gillette!

Jim

DougLynne
11-02-2010, 10:52 PM
We plan to be there. It sounds like a lot of folks are planning on being there, sure hope there is room for us all. Will push it at our next Rally..../Doug

jbeletti
11-02-2010, 10:54 PM
This one will probably be capped at 100-125 rigs. Most of the on-the-road ones are at about that level as they are more expensive than the back-home ones. Only got so much budget :)

Jim

62cwil
11-19-2010, 02:42 AM
Count me in

Bob&Patty
11-19-2010, 12:43 PM
JB, I'm not sure now if I said that Pat and I would be there in a previous post. But unless the sky falls...we will be there. Can't wait to get my hands on a few people. GRRRRRRRRR.

jbeletti
11-19-2010, 12:50 PM
Awesome Bob. Who will I need to hold down for you? Let me guess... KENNY!

Jim

katkens
11-19-2010, 03:20 PM
Awesome Bob. Who will I need to hold down for you? Let me guess... KENNY!

Jim

WHAT !!! It couldn't be me , my old buddy , pal , bestest , more better friend Bob is for a fact.
I can't wait to hear Bob sing his favorite song , here he is at his best a singing......... Kenny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8c7Gx70aO7g&feature=related

jnbhobe
11-19-2010, 03:32 PM
Looks just like him Kenny, wish I had sound on this computer!!! Well maybe not.

Bob&Patty
11-19-2010, 03:36 PM
OK..OK. Just remember you 2...OLD GUYS WILL GET EVEN. OH, BTW, Dave could be one of them also.

Kenny, are you sure that is not you?? Been recording stuff while looking into your bathroom mirror?? I know you have a hat like that.

cookie
11-19-2010, 04:14 PM
Looks just like him Kenny, wish I had sound on this computer!!! Well maybe not.

No you don't Jon.

Peace
Dave

Jim Posz
01-26-2011, 01:57 PM
I know it's on the website someplace, but what are the exact dates for the 2012 rally in Gillette? I've got a wife who hasn't got around to retirement yet.
Jim P.

jbeletti
01-26-2011, 10:11 PM
Jim,

The dates are: June 14-17, 2012 - Cam-Plex in Gillette, WY

funntheson
01-27-2011, 11:20 AM
We would love to attend this ralley, but the annual rallies are scheduled in such a way that those of us with school aged children are out of luck (that will probably be the last week of school). Maybe the date should fluctuate as well as the location? I'm guessing we are in the minority, but there must be others in the same situation.

jbeletti
01-27-2011, 11:39 AM
Larry and Jodi,

We've actually tinkered with the date to be more inclusive of those with school aged kids or those who are educators. But I hear ya, that even 15-June can be too early for some districts.

We also vary the date based on availability of the selected venues.

For the on-the-road North American rallies in the even numbered years, depending on where we have it, we will have to seriously consider timing based on weather conditions. For example, if we hold it well south, summer heat can be really bad. That said, I fully expect some spring and fall North American rallies within the next 10 years. Unfortunately, that can likely exclude most educators and students.

We'll keep tinkering with it, knowing no matter when or where they are held, not everyone can make it.

Thanks for the feedback!

Jim

funntheson
01-27-2011, 01:54 PM
Yeah, July and August are beautiful in Wyoming. The average temperature in June is in the 60's. That's almost cold for us Southern Californians. I used to have a Great Uncle that lived in Hoback Junction (14 miles south of Jackson Hole). I have been to that area, including Yellowstone, many times.

ElkStalker
01-30-2011, 06:12 PM
WY sounds good to me, and hopefully I will have a Cyclone by then!

gmpoirier
01-30-2011, 06:33 PM
We'll be in Colorado so Gillette is a perfect location for us to attend our first Rally. Gillette is a winner.

harleyriders35
02-19-2011, 04:25 PM
I also suggest more of a northwestern location. We live in Central Alberta, Canada and would love to attend a national rally, but unfortunately with only 2 weeks vacation, the drive down to southern US is pretty hard for us.

loafer
02-19-2011, 04:56 PM
We are planning to be there.Looking forward to seeing our Heartland friends we met from Ohio and Nashville rallies from 2010.
Also looking forward to meeting new freinds from the forum here.
God willing we will be there
Bill and Maureen

JohnDar
02-19-2011, 05:28 PM
Were there any tentative dates for the 2012 Gillette Rally yet?

ullabill
02-21-2011, 05:33 PM
Jim,

My wife and I are looking forward to attending our first National Rally. We live in Sparks, Nv and will try to tie in with the Ca. caravan when they come through on their way to Gillette.

Bill and Ulla Burgess
Sparks, Nevada
2011 Sundance 3000RK

jbeletti
02-21-2011, 09:52 PM
June 14-17, 2012 - Cam-Plex in Gillette, WY.

Save the date :)

Jim

jbeletti
02-21-2011, 09:54 PM
Closing this thread now the location and date is set. See this discussion thread (//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/22597) to continue discussing this rally.

Jim