My Travels & Heartland Sightings

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
We left last Friday from Houston to the IRV2.com National rally in Sevierville Tennessee. We saw a Landmark fifth wheel being pulled by a black Ford pickup on I-40 but it was going the other way. We arrived at Lebannon Tenn. and found a Bighorn fifth wheel at the I-30 Travel park but I didn't get a chance to talk to the owner before we left. These are the first I've seen on the road.

Allgyer1

You saw me. I was on my way home to Wimberley, Texas from Gatlinburg. TN.
We we on our last leg of a trip that started with Champaign, IL, Sturgis, MI., West Libery, OH, Gatlinburg, TN and back home. 4300 miles.
We had a great time with one exception, we had three flat tires
on the 5th wheel.//heartlandowners.org/images/icons/icon7.gif

Midastouch

:( on the flat tires! I hope I don't have that issue when coming home with the new GC from Knoxville to Shreveport!

Speaking of Gatlinburg .... haven't been there in YEARS! Any recommendations or advice about that area you could give ... we were thinking about staying there for a couple days BEFORE going to take delivery on the GC on the 5th of September ... I really would just like to hang out and take in the sights, shop a little, etc... was looking at staying at a local motel in Gatlinburg but not sure about the accomodations or if there are even areas there that are NOT VERY DESIRABLE!

jimtoo

Allgyer1,,,Tell us about your tires. What brand and rating were they and if you can tell if they just came apart own their own. What kind of trailer do you have?
Thanks
Jim

Allgyer1

Tires on my GC

I have had my GC about 8 months with less than 5K miles. The tires are
Load Boss 235/85R16 "G" load.
First of all I am not a tire expert, however; it looks to me like tread
seperation. I blew one tire in OH, one in TN and the last one in Austin, TX.
Both tires on kitchen side and one on dinning room side.
My dealer ExploreUSA in Kyle, TX is working the issue with the factory
and I have total faith they will resolve the issue as so far their service
has been outstanding.
I will keep you advised as to what I find out.
Thanks for asking.
Paul Allgyer
Wimberley, Texas

jayc

Allgyer1, we have some very good friends that live in Wimberly that are in the RV club with us. They could not attend our national rally, but we will probably see them soon.

Midastouch, the Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge and Sevierville area of Tennessee has become one huge traffic jam. The area is very pretty, but the traffic is horrendous all day long. If you come, be prepared to deal with it!

I wish you good luck with the tire issue. I had a recent blowout on my trailer and replaced all four tires before going on vacation. I put BF Goodrich commercial grade 10 ply tires on and so far they have done fine. A buddy of mine had a blowout just outside of Nashville, but he got his replaced here in Sevierville.

tinkers

Full timers
Midas, when we went to Gaitlinburg last July, it took 2:45 min to go the 24 miles from I-40 to Gaitlinburg, and we found out that was fast!!! It is HORRIBLE with traffic. If you leave the park and go as far as Dollywood, about 6 miles, it could take 2 hours to get back, especially on the weekend. We won't be going there again during the summer, that's for sure.

We will be leaving St. Louis tomorrow morning headed for Cody, Wy and Glacier, Mt. So will be heading up I-29 to I-90. Glad to be leaving here! Two MAJOR storms this week, trailer actually ROCKED! Power out with temp over 100! But we were lucky, over 400,000 people still out of power. We have enjoyed all this we can stand!! Wave & say hi if you see us. We have a cb, also.

Logan & Pat
Big Horn 3400RL #455

jayc

We made it home from Tennessee today. We left yesterday in the rain, and it rained on us off and on most of the way home.

I didn't see any more Heartland trailers on the way home but will keep on looking. I did get over to RV's for Less in Knoxville and met Karen. She is very informative and spent about an hour with us, even though we told her that we were just looking, answering all of our questions. She gave us a brochure on the new Bighorn model 3670.

jpmorgan37

Hi jayc;
Glad you met Karen. She and Butch are really great people and are the best to deal with. I drove from Temple, TX to deal with them and it was certainly worth my time and I feel like I made a couple of good friends in the deal.

Phil Smith

Retired South Carolina Chapter Leader
Bighorn Sighting!

Spotted a Bighorn, West bound on I-90 on the Mass. Pike about 11:00 am on Saturday, July 22nd. It was near the I-291 exit. Was it YOU?

BluegrassMan

Hi All:
We'll be leaving PA, Mon.AM heading for Louisville Ky (via 70 &71). Then down and over to London Ky area(in-laws), then back to Pa. Taking our good ole time 3wks. This is my last vacation from the day job, retirement in 1-07. Then I MAY get to use the ole Landmark more.

slaytop

Following the Rally my wife and I travelled up to Green Bay, WI area then north to Duluth, MN. We took US Rt 2 west to Glacier Park and then worked our way north as far as Jasper, AB. We then drove east on Canada 16 and 1 to Winnepeg, MT. Then back down to Duluth, MN and US Rt 2 across the Upper Penninsula to Mackinaw City. Then down through Michigan & Indiana to Indianapolis and back home in Ohio. Trailer distance just under 6,000 miles and 7,500 miles on the truck. We got back home on July 10th.

During the trip, on June 30th, we saw one Big Horn about 20 miles east of Manistique, MI. It was parked in front of a motel and hitched to the truck.

tinkers

Full timers
We changed our plans and headed east instead of to the hot, hot, hot weather in Montana. We are now in Ludington, Michigan and going up to Petoskey and spend the next month going across the UP and down the east side of Wisconsin. Saw several Landmarks & Big Horns leaving Elkhart and headed west on I-80, but none in any parks so far. If you're up in this area, drop a note...maybe our paths will cross.

Logan & Pat
Big Horn 3400RL #455

jgilbert

We just got back from Michigan, Wisconsin and Minnesota a couple of weeks ago. Petosky, Michigan and Mackinaw City, Michigan were the highlights of our trip. If we had it to do over again, we would definitely spend more than two days in those areas!!

Joe