Locked NAV GPS while driving

PUG

Pug
I just purchased an 09 Dodge 3500 Megacab, short box, dually to pull my 3950 Cyclone.
The first thing I figure out on the new pickup is most NAV functions are locked while driving. I guess this is true on most cars and other pickups also. I understand why but the wife does that kind of stuff while we are driving as pulling a 42 ft fifth wheel takes most of my attention. I hate it that these features are blocked.//heartlandowners.org/images/icons/icon9.gif
Doing investigation I found there is a device you can buy called Lockpic. Depending on the radio you have (mine is the REC unit as shown on the lower right side of the radio) you can purchase a Lockpic that unlocks these features on the unit and allows for up to two backup cameras. The first thing I had to do was pull the radio out (quite easy, pull plastic surround off around radio, etc. controls and undo four screws) You have to have a white three prong plug on the back for the Lockpic to work. If you look on the manufactuer website they show a photo of this. Mine had it so I went ahead and ordered the device. It is suppossed to unlock the Nav functions, be able to add up to two cameras that can be viewed at any time and if you don't have the VES system in the rear you can play an ipod or dvd and view it on the dash screen. Mine has the VES system so viewing a DVD movie it not available but that is fine. If the old lady wants to watch a movie she can get in the backseat and see it on the VES system and not bother me. If you search for REC Lockpic it will give you the site for the REC radio. If you have the Mygig radios this site will also direct you to this information. You can call these folks and ask questions. They are Coastaltech and their number is listed on their website. I just ordered my Lockpic and will let you know how things work.//heartlandowners.org/images/icons/icon10.gif

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
Glad you're getting the nav system all worked out...but, if I called my DW 'the old lady' - the nav system would be the least of my worries! Good luck! :D

caissiel

I have an aftermarket TV,DVD,GPS 6.2" unit in my dash and use it all the time. Just flip a switch and have rear cams on. I usualy can set the nav on/off from the GPS program settings. After market units are very efficient, and cost under $400.00. My GPS is a seperate unit from the radio and powered and controled on the radio IR. It stays on unless I swith it off with the remote, so when I am parked it keeps on rolling with the GPS location on instentaneous. We have a small unit in the car and it takes forever to get the gps position to come on after we turn it on.

PUG

Pug
As previously mentioned I was in the process of getting a Lockpick from Coastaltech. I received it and installed with not to much problem but have had intermittant problems with it not showing the reverse camera . They are quite unresponsive and hard to get ahold of. Look elsewhere for a product that unlocks everything.