LT & ST Tires

Tom of Ypsi

As some of you may know I had door side suspension problems in which I ended up with two new tires. After all of the trouble I had with my dealership all I wanted to do was get out of their. I checked the tires to make sure they were the same size, which they are. Today checking air pressure and torque before I leave for 5 days I noticed the new tires are LT and the original tires on the other side are ST. Does this pose a problem or should I be good?

BTW I will be at Hayes State Park, SE Lower Michigan from 7/20 to 7/24, stop by if you are in the area.

ct0218

I thought all tires on an axle were supposed to be the same. Are the load ratings the same?

Tom of Ypsi

Clark and Gail,
The load ratings are the same, G rated. I also thought the tires should be the same on each axle but I am not sure. General RV here in Michigan, my dealer, claims they had a hard time finding tires:confused: .

L'l John

It is my understanding that ST tires are speed-rated at only 65 MPH. I don't know what LT tires are rated at but think that they are rated for much more speed.
That would limit your safe speed to 65 or under.

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
fireflipper

Tom
I would go on the tire manufacuters web site and see what the difference in the LT and ST are. Usually it is a speed rating, If the LT's are a better tire move them to the same axle, again the manufacturer should be able to tell you the best way to handle this, give them a call.

phranc

well ,if nothing else. rotate the tires so that the LT' s are on one axle ,say the rear one , and the ST's are on the front axle..

ct0218

A lot of the foreign tires have no info available (such as Trail America OEM tires from Heartland), so, as above, move to the same axle. I would also check the number of plies, etc., if the plies and capacity are close it would probably be OK.

jpmorgan37

I found this on the internet. I don't know if it applies to Heartland products but it is interesting reading.

Limited Warranty and Tire Adjustment Policy

Eligibility

All new Trail America Trailer Use Only Tires, obtained through JCA Corporation bearing the Trail America Name and the D.O.T Identification Number on tire.​

Adjustment Policy During the First 25% of Tread Wear.

During the first 25% of a tread wear or a period of one year from the date of delivery to the original purchase thereof. Trail America Trailer Tire distribution are authorized, subject to terms and conditions of the limited warranty, to replace, free of charge, any eligible tire that, in the opinion of Trail American/JCA Corporation becomes unusable due to defects in workmanship or materials.​

Adjustment Policy During Last 75% of Tread Wear.

Tires becoming unserviceable due to defects in workmanship or materials will be warranted on a pro rate basis down to the 2/32nd of the original usable tread. Some exclusions may apply.​

Exclusions

This limited warranty does not apply to: tires older than one year from the date of delivery to the original purchase thereof. Tires used for racing purposes. Tires branded "N/A" (non-adjustable) or "NRA" (no ride adjustment). Tires on which the brand name or serial number has been obliterated. Tires submitted "OUT OF ROUND" that are worn irregularly or worn prematurely, whether from wheel misalignment, improper mounting, worn shock absorbers or brakes, improper load or inflation, faulty valves, damaged rims, accident, abusive driving practices, and vehicle malfunction.​

Conditions

ELIGIBLE TIRES under this limited warranty are Trail America Trailer Use Only tires, obtained through JCA Corporation and which are presented for the LIMITED WARRANTY coverage to an authorized TRAIL AMERICA/JCA CORPORATION ASSOCIATE DEALER. The amount of credit is to be applied to the current price and the customer pays the difference plus all taxes and dealer services. All Trail America tires not covered by the warranty will be adjusted on a PRO RATE basis, which is based upon the actual tread depth worn, expressed as a percentage of the original tread depth to the tread wear indicators (2/32nds) multiplied by the original purchase price (as verified by customers invoice). APPLICABILITY of this Limited Warranty is contingent upon [a] the subject tire not being older than one year from the date of delivery to the original purchase thereof, the subject tire not having been mounted on any other vehicle than the vehicle on which it was first mounted, [c] the claim being presented by the original purchaser of the subject tire, [d] presentation of the original invoice. ADDITIONAL CHARGES for taxes, mounting, balancing, or a higher priced tire accepted as a replacement, shall be paid by the consumer in connection with all claims under this Limited Warranty

DISCLAIMER

EXCEPT AS EXPRESSLY PROVIDED BY THIS LIMITED WARRANTY, NO WARRANTY, EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, IS MADE AND ALL WARRANTIES ARE DISCLAIMED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. TRAIL AMERICA/JCA CORPORATION SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGE SUFFERED OR INCURRED BY THE CONSUMER OR THIRD PARTY, WHETHER BASED ON CONTRACT, TORT, WARRANTY, STRICT LIABILITY OR ANY OTHER THEORY. SOME STATES DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF DAMAGES, SO THIS LIMITATION OR EXCLUSION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.​

Trail America

Wild Wind

Tom, The Airstream Forum has a good section on tires(www.airstreamforums.com/forums/f40/lt-versus-st-tires-trailer-1392.html) and they got much of their information from The Cooper Tire Web Site.
The difference seems to be that ST tires have stronger side walls to control flexing while turing the trailer and more UV Inhibitors for trailer storage. Therefore, I would think that for sway and control you would be setting up an unsafe condition with stiff sidewalls on one and flexable sidewalls on the opposite side of the trailer.
It seems that alot of RV'ers have had trouble with ST & LT tires. I plan on getting rid of the junky ST Mission Tires that Hartland struck us with, and getting Michelin E Rated Truck tires $$$$. Buyers should have the option of better tires and a warning about ST & LT tires.

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
St & Lt

IN British Columbia the Highwys Dept. and RCMP look for the ST rating on the 5th wheels and trailers.......

fe

jimtoo

"IN British Columbia the Highwys Dept. and RCMP look for the ST rating on the 5th wheels and trailers....... "

Sailorand,,, do you know why they are looking for the ST rating on the tires?

Trap

I think when we get readyto order our new 5'er a condition of sale will be that it comes with Michelin Xp Ribs,. There's just to many problems on the net about cheap trailer tires. It'll be either Bighorn 3055RL or 3400RL or equivalent.

Trap

Last edited:

ct0218

The highest load rating I have seen for the XPS Rib is E, and I need G. That leaves a very expensive Goodyear G series trailer tire or the Trail America as my 2 options.