2011 Road Warrior Question

winger1955

We just took delivery on a 2011 Road Warrior 305. I have read the owners manual but could not find an explanation for the lighted (when on) red light switch that is located in the control panel area. I think it energizes the holding tank anti-freeze system. Can anyone confirm this?

I'm sure other questions will come up as we go through the trailer.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

2010augusta

Mike welcome to the Heartland Forum and the Heartland family. the red switch will be either the tank heaters as you said or one of the two switches for the electric water heater with the other being in the water heater. hope this helps you.

jimtoo

Hi winger1955,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and help if needed.

I am sure your red lighted switch is for the electric water heater element. You must be sure your water heater has water in it before turning it on. The element if not in water will burn out in a matter of seconds. Also on some (most) units on the water heater itself (outside, necessary to remove cover) is a small black switch, usually with a safety pin through it, that must be turned on before the heater will work. Once it is on the heater can be controlled from the inside with the red lighted switch.

Your dealer should have given you this info in your PDI. But if you have more questions, we are here for help.

Moving this to the correct area also.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

winger1955

Thanks, that makes sense. Where is the control for the tank heaters?

Sorry for posting in the wrong area.

Thanks again,
Mike

porthole

Retired
Thanks, that makes sense. Where is the control for the tank heaters?

Sorry for posting in the wrong area.

"heated and enclosed underbelly" is not the same as "heated tanks.

Unless you specifically ordered tank heaters from your dealer all you have is a heated underbelly.

The heat is a "spill" of the main furnace-heat system you have in your trailer e.g. a duct off the furnace into the underbelly.

winger1955

Porthole,

You're probably right about that. The system you described is what we had on the Cougar 302RLS that we just sold. We did not special order heated tanks on this trailer, the salesman stated that it had heated tanks. Not that big of a deal to us, I was just trying to find the method to turn them on and off.

Not having the rear cargo compartments is a much bigger disappointment since storage space is at a premium on this trailer. I was also surprised to see that the trailer doesn't have underbed storage. That was a very handy storage area in our last trailer.

I also see that you and I share the same profession. I'm about to complete my 31st year. Retirement is just around the corner. Its been a great career!

Thanks,
Mike

dwolczuk

We found that the "heated" Tanks only worked with the generator on, or if you have 110 shore power. The dealer added a 12 volt system, that includes a seperate switch for 12 volt. We also had a solar panel added along with 2 -6Volt batteries. This works well. The dealer went as far as to add insulation behind the "basement" wall and added a small furnace duct to the space enclosing the water pipes. Previous to this the tanks stayed thawed, (with the generator on) however the pipes froze at minus 10 celsius.

porthole

Retired
Mike,

I must have missed your reply and just found it today!

You can order the under chassis storage from Lippert. I am considering ordering a second set. There is enough room to move the factory included bins back and add a second in front of it. They turn out to be very convenient.

I am in the process of making my under bed a storage bin. There is enough room under the bed without doing anything other then adding a hinge to store the the couch insert and cushion. I will be adding a platform above the slide stuff though which looks like it will give me about 3-4" of storage, enough for sheets and stuff

Mike Aplin

That sounds great. Just keep in mind that when we eliminated the storeage bins here many months ago that we also moved the spare tire assembly forward. This wouldn't apply to your coach but for anyone looking to add them after the fact, this may be an issue that you would want to take into account. Thank you for your great posts. Take care, Mike

porthole

Retired
Good point Mike. If someone is interested in the storage bins, they are availble with 1 or 2 bins and a spare tire winch. My thought it to get the 2 bin kit and add a third bin where the spare tire goes. Would be a great place to keep an extra length or two of discharge hose etc.

winger1955

Porthole,

I did install the rear compartments which included the spare tire carrier and it has worked out great. I would be interested in your under-bed storage since thats my next project. Let us know how it turns out.

Thanks,
Mike

porthole

Retired
Porthole,

I did install the rear compartments which included the spare tire carrier and it has worked out great. I would be interested in your under-bed storage since thats my next project. Let us know how it turns out.

Thanks,
Mike

Will do.
But for starters you could get some cheap stick on floor tiles and cover the bed platform. That will allow the mattress to move around much easier when making the bed etc.
I got some nice parquet imation wood tiles for .79 each at the Depot.

Get yourself a 5' piano hinge while you are at to allow the right half of the platform to be hinged.

Mike Aplin

All great ideas for customizing your units. This is what it is all about. I really enjoy seeing our customers interacting with each other and sharing so many of your great ideas and experiences. Remember to check out our Road Warrior and Cyclone Facebook pages where you can post your memories of your journeys out on the road. Take care, Mike