Adding Insulation to the underside of the slides

2010augusta

As winter approaches and the temperatures being to fall. I was thinking that it would be nice to have the floors in the slides a bit warmer. Has anyone added foam insulation under the slideouts? I have thought about adding a skirt, but that is not an option right now as the RV skirting place is not coming to the NW anytime soon, and the park may not allow them anyways. I am just trying to figure out a good tempary adhesive to hold the sheets in place, or should I just use screws and large washers in to the floor?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
As winter approaches and the temperatures being to fall. I was thinking that it would be nice to have the floors in the slides a bit warmer. Has anyone added foam insulation under the slideouts? I have thought about adding a skirt, but that is not an option right now as the RV skirting place is not coming to the NW anytime soon, and the park may not allow them anyways. I am just trying to figure out a good tempary adhesive to hold the sheets in place, or should I just use screws and large washers in to the floor?

Possibly attach the foam panels using double-sided carpet tape. Look for the better stuff with the woven fiberglass media, not paper or plastic. But getting it off when it warms up may be messy. Alternatively, use the carpet tape to attach heavy-duty velcro strips to the foam and the underside of the slide and let the velcro hold it in place.

beardedone

Beardedone
Using the foam is actually already close to the top of my list also. I am also thinking of putting in on the roof, under the awning. Another idea may be to see what the price of insulated tarps would be, like they use for hoarding. Then you could just strap them in place. I might have to get the bosses approval on the last one!

jbeletti

Alan,

Seems to me I recall someone adding the foam panels to the floors and roof, on the outside of the slide rooms. Not sure who it was. Last year or 2 years ago maybe.

Maybe for the 2" foam panels under the floor, used some 1 foot square plywood sections spaced at maybe 4 foot intervals, held up my slide room jacks that have a fine adjustment to "just" hold the wood/foam up.

You guys are a smart bunch on this forum - someone will come up with a great way to temporarily add insulation that is non-marring, works without mastic, can be used for more than one season and can be stored for travel.

Jim

irvin56

What about velcro on slide sides, velcro on syrofoam

Just to hold it place, a couple small pieces in diff. places.

Then use the tie down rachet straps to wrap slide and hold it all in place.

Take off everything and store, put in slide and go. Cut the syrofoam in managable sizes so you can stack and store in basement. Number and then you know which belongs where.

Just a thought.

I use rachet straps to go over and hold my awning down for wind resistance.

caissiel

When I was parked in Canada before I came to florida we stayed in our trailer with constant weather under freezing down to 22F and the only cool place was the big slide as we were always sitting at the table. I used 1.5 in cheap foam insulation and cut 4ft sections that fit snug under the floor then I used 2 pieces of strapping and pushed the Foam tight agaist the floor. I used my 2x6 blockings to support the strapping shimmed it with cedar shingles. Then I closed the Slide hydraulic valve so that we would not accidently close the slide. The only freeze point that I had to cover in the cold was the fresh water tank drain. I build a 12x12 insulated box and pushed it over the drain and supported it with a car jackstand. The top of the box was open to the cover and it never froze. The only problem was while traving in the New England States while we had all water in the freah tank and this line was exposed. I am planning to install a shut off valve above the cover. A normaly closed 12V soleniod valve is in the plans.

scotty

Don't know if this is for you, but I'm camped in NJ for the winter with several other campers and what we did was go to Lowes/Home Depot and picked up a 100' roll of the construction silt screen, the black stuff that contractors use to retain dirt from blowing onto the road. Only cost $20.00 a roll. Comes with wooden stakes spaced every 10 or so feet. Took off the stakes, wrapped the screen around the BH and used duct tape to hold on camper and inserted the little meal stakes, look like large staples into the ground. This really helps to keep the wind from under the slides and camper. Works for me.

Last edited: