Engine Problems

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
My '02 GMC 2500 D/A (LB7 engine) has been giving me fits for the last couple of months. I noticed lowered oil pressure and oil spots under my truck and found that the blowby tube was the culprit of the spots. I saw continuing lower oil pressure before figuring out that for some reason, diesel fuel was somehow draining into the crankcase, thus diluting the oil, causing the oil pressure problem. I thought it was a bad injector(s) but could not tell on my own.

When I returned to Houston I put the truck in the shop and found that the diesel fuel return lines were the problem, not an injector as I first feared. The work was done and now, almost two months later, it is doing exactly the same thing. I took the truck back to the same shop and he found one injector that is leaking.

I hope that this takes care of this problem but am wary of the injectors. The extended warranty has expired about a year ago so any repairs to the injectors are on me.

Has anyone else had this problem?

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Me Too... I have my F250 in the shop. Every year this time I take my truck and put it into the shop to have a few things done. This time I told them about the cooling fan running a lot. Seemed that the computer had it come on even on flat ground and low outdoor temperature.

Just got a call that the EGR Cooler had a leak and my coolent was going out the tail pipe. I have a 200,000 mile warranty for a deductable of $100 so it is not going to be a big hit.

I am going to have the tranmission looked at because of a viberation when I take off under load up to about 12mph..

Rather get it fixed now than have a break down on the road...

Always a job keeping maintenance up and things working.. Part of things that goes with the lifestyle..

BC

Netem

Jay I also have a 02 Duramax. When I start having problems with the injectors I'm going to have them all replaced because the early D max has alot of tear down to get to the injectors and I don't want to pay the labor for the tear down more than once.
Good luck

MurrayN.

I have a 2003 Duramax that has only 50000 miles on it and has never been in the shop. I am probably outside of the extended warranty period already. I'll just keep praying that my injectors hold on as I have been told that you can spend up to $10000 having all your injectors replaced in a shop!:eek:

jayc

Neil, you're right about the warranty, it's 7 years/200,000 miles. My warranty ran out last year in November. I know it's cheaper in labor to replace all the injectors at once, but they're over $400 apiece. I'll have to chance it on the rest of the injectors holding up.

nscaler2

Me too

Me Too... I have my F250 in the shop. Every year this time I take my truck and put it into the shop to have a few things done. This time I told them about the cooling fan running a lot. Seemed that the computer had it come on even on flat ground and low outdoor temperature.

Just got a call that the EGR Cooler had a leak and my coolent was going out the tail pipe. I have a 200,000 mile warranty for a deductable of $100 so it is not going to be a big hit.

I am going to have the tranmission looked at because of a viberation when I take off under load up to about 12mph..

Rather get it fixed now than have a break down on the road...

Always a job keeping maintenance up and things working.. Part of things that goes with the lifestyle..

BC

Same thing happened to our 06 350. EGR cooler developed a leak and the truck was blowing white smoke. It must be a pretty common thing with the 6.0L engine. If I could afford it I would trade for something else. But can't. We have had way too many problems with our F350. Tranny went out at 28000 miles. The EGR valve went at 40000 and then the EGR cooler follower shortly thereafter. I'm just waiting for the next shoe to drop. Not a secure feeling while towing the BH in the middle of nowhere. :eek:

egnors

as far as the 6.0 goes, i think a lot of the bad EGR valves were more from crud blocking the valve from closing correctly, than an actual bad valve. the whole idea of EGR, along with the PCV dumping oil vapor right back into the intake stream makes for a guarantee of blockage or grief. the PCV is also why a lot of owners had to get new CAC pipe boots replaced because they kept blowing off. the PCV is piped into the intake right before the turbo, so it powers that vapor right through to the intercooler. the oil soaks the soft joint hoses, and they end up sliding off under boost. that same oil also is coating the inside of the intercooler, and heading back into the intake manifold, rolling right by that EGR valve. so then you get oily soot caking up on the EGR. luckily, the EGR is pretty easy to remove and clean. if you get a CEL, and the code mentions EGR failure, pop that thing out and clean the valve body up with some carb cleaner. just be sure to take the gasket and O-ring off before you hose it down with solvent.

PS, sorry for the hijack.

jayc

Well, I went and picked the truck up this morning. He found a couple of other items that needed replacing, upper and lower radiator hoses, serpentine belt etc, so I'll drive it some more to see how long it lasts this time. As my mechanic told me, there's no way to tell when any of the other injector(s) will go out.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Good luck....hey Jay...how about giving yourself a Christmas present...a new truck? LOL

Tom of Ypsi

Jay,

Just man up and tell Stella you are buying a new truck. When she hits you make sure you are facing a little southwest so Jim & I can try and catch you.

jimtoo

"Just man up and tell Stella you are buying a new truck." Yea,,, right,,he may be brave,,, but not that brave or silly.

jayc

Jim, thats exxactly what I was thinking when he said to man up......yah right!