Diesel Onan Genset

kbar350

Anyone thought of using a Diesel Onan Genset in the generator prep compartment. I know the weight is a bit more little less then double. More dependable and long lasting. Any thoughts?

lwmcguir

Uses a lot less fuel which is the reason I was looking at it. Less stale fuel issues as well and should start easier after sitting. We have a larger portable that has been great but wasn't sure due to the 375 pounds or so for the RV. Diesel fuel is safer with less vapor issues around the camper but gasoline has been used for years with mostly carb and starting issues. Curious to hear what other folks think or have done as well.

2010augusta

the Diesel Onan generators are very heavy, loud, and vibrate a lot. My parents Class-A has a three cylinder 7kW in it, and it will power everything, but you can hear and feel it in the bedroom and it is mounted 30' away at the front of the coach. With the LP unit in the Landmark I have easily slept through the night with it running; even though the generator is right under the bed, you can not feel it and can barely hear it running. Additionally a diesel may require a higher reserve capacity to the batteries just to get it started. All I'm saying is that for the type of camping my DW and I and My parents do, they wish they had a good LP generator instead of their diesel unit.

lwmcguir

LP motors will run as many or more hours than a diesel so that is an advantage for sure as well as the less noise and vibration. I have been kicking around putting a 50 gallon LP tank I have (twin cylinder off an LP pickup) under the tool box. Then connecting it to the Landmark when parked and still hooked up. Would be an easy way to have more propane for cold weather camping and to run the generator. Hadn't really thought about the vibration in a smaller generator, thanks for posting. I know the portable moves the ground a bit when it is loaded up.

lcdrdean

We have an Onan 5.5 KW propane generator in our unit. I am amazed at how quiet it is ... plus I can power both air conditioners at the same time. Now I have to admit we haven't used it extensively, so I don't know the fuel consumption.