The Gray tanks

New to rv'ing and need an explanation of the gray tank system. When the #1 gray tank fills up....does it automatically open up the #2 gray tank. Or do different areas flow into the gray tanks? So if the indicator on the #1 gray tank shows full..........does it need to be dumped immediately or do I still havge the #2 gray tank to use. Hope this makes sense. Thanks so much for your help.

4ever

The two gray tanks are not connected to each other. One gray tank is for the bathroom shower & sink. and the other for the kitchen sink. You need to dump the tank when the indicator says it is full.

Ted

2010augusta

Ted is correct but I'll add that the washer is also on tank 1, and that creates a big mess if the washers drain cycles on a nearly full tank. I know:D

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
There is a way to "connect" both grey tanks...we use it when we're boondocking to help with conserving.

If you add a Valtera Blade Valve to the end of the dump valve, just prior to where you connect your hose, you can then close the blade valve and open both grey tanks. This allows one tank to "overflow" into the other and they level out. When both are full then you just open the external blade valve and dump both greys at the same time.

One word of warning when you do this...make certain that the black tanks stays completely closed...you don't want black water backing up into either of the grey tanks...:)

caissiel

I have accidently left the both gray tank valves open with the cap on the drain. and when I went to drain I closed the both valves , and just put my drain hose in front of the hose cap on the 3" cap, and opened it, the little bit of water drained in the hose, remove the 3" cap and I connected the hose. It was mostly washer clear water anyway. This might be a good emergency system, Its mine anyway.