bumps and booms

Mariposa

We were east bound on Highway 58, near Mohave. A big boom shook the trailer and truck. "Oh No, Now what" Of course, we stopped and check things out, and realized it was a jet or something, breaking the sound barrier, from the near by air base.
Bob

rick_debbie_gallant

Was sailing my sailboat from Bay City to Rogers City once on Lake Huron when we were buzzed by a couple of jet fighters. Boy was they close, and loud. This was in the late 80's. They must have been on some training missions. Sure was cool.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Hey Bob! I've seen a few videos through e-mails that show the air surrounding a jet as it goes Supersonic. It is an awesome sight. A close boom can scare the crap out of ya if you're not expecting it. BY the way, I moved this thread into the Non RV related section. Merry Christmas too!

SilverRhino

I have to agree.....Love the "sounds" of Freedom!

Had the pleasure of knowing a F18 Squadron Commander in Florida....got to visit the base on numerous occasions and stand on the flight line as they did touch and goes.......What a Feeling.

We all need to stop and thank the Almighty for the brave people that put their lives on the line so that we can sleep safe at night!

wdk450

Was sailing my sailboat from Bay City to Rogers City once on Lake Huron when we were buzzed by a couple of jet fighters. Boy was they close, and loud. This was in the late 80's. They must have been on some training missions. Sure was cool.

A lot of us have experienced this at airshows where the Blue Angels or the Thunderbirds do demonstrations. They like to sneak up from behind the crowd line. At one airshow the announcer said that this can be a battlefield tactic to startle the opposing ground troops allowing our good guys to take advantage.

Two Hands

A few years ago the wife and I were riding bikes across the Golden Gate Bridge when a flight of A-10 Warthogs, I'm not sure that is the correct designation, came in from the west and flew very low over the bridge. One peeled off and showed off some moves. The group then split, flew around the bay, rejoined and flew back over the bridge and out to sea. People on the bridge just gaped in awe and applauded. It was a memorable experience.

Taz Devil

Theres nothing like watching aircraft launch at night. You can see all the rings in the flames from the afterburners. Totally awesome. Got to see a lot of that during my days on the flight line.

Kevin