Drafty Trailer

I purchased a new 2009 3285. The climate is around 43 degrees. I run my heater to warm up the trailer and as soon as the heater shuts off it feels like it is really cold. Like there is a draft in the trailer. Any ideas? Any problems other Big Country owners noticed.

66Vettster
2009 Big Country 3285rl
2006 Ford F350 Diesel

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Yep.. The return air vent...

I put a piece of cardboard in front of the vetn. Just to check take a piece of paper and hold it about a half inch in front of the vent...

I don't use the propane heater in my trailer. I use electric heaters. I put 2 150Watt bulbs in the basement with silver aluminum reflectors. Right now the temp outside is 36* and it is 71* in my basement.

BC

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Hi Vettster

I assume by your name you have a 66 vette. Cool vehicle.

Anyway, we have a 3250 BC. While ours is not drafty, it does not retain heat like a house would.

Here a few things I have noticed on ours-not sure if yours is the same but something to look at.

Single pane windows do very little to stop heat transfer. You can actually feel cool air a couple inches away from these large windows.

The floor always feel cool. Even though they are "sealed" and have bubble inslulation above the corrugated panel, that is far from very efficent. When I dropped my underbelly, I found the rack from one of the slides had pulled the duct for the rear register off of the register so the heat that would have come out of the rear register was going into the underbelly. That inturn left a "hole" for cold air to come staight into the trailer.

I have read that there is no insulation in the slides. I have only been in one slide on my trailer and yup-no insulation. I do not know if this is a fact on all the trailers.

The inslution on my back wall did not begin until about a foot above the floor. I do not know if this is by design or just a fluke on my trailer.

My bedroom stays warm but it does not have some of the same issues as the main living area. eg- bedroom is over the basement which means the floor is protected a little better than the main living area. There are also no large windows in the bedroom.

One other thing I have done is staightened out all the duct work underneath for better airflow from the heater.

All these things are pretty typical for any trailer.

Some of these guys that full time or camp up north will have better ideas on what to do. I just put on fuzzy slippers. :)

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Another thing you can do to distribute the furnace heat better is change the floor register to the adjustable type. You can get 4x10 registers at Lowe's that fit the openings. We reduce the air flow into the bedroom and bathroom since they sit right above the furnace. Close the vent in the kitchen and leave the two rear vents wide open. Otherwise the bedroom is like an oven and the rear of the trailer is a meat locker.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
66V, check all the slide seals and make sure they are tight to the body. I had one that did not seal at the top. Boy did it let the cold air be sucked into the coach. I did modify the underbelly heating system. I also installed 2" block foam insulation in the beams under the BR. I could send you a PM of how to install better heating in the underbelly. Not hard, just time consuming.

Larry, "come on man"...........pink fuzzy slippers with ears and eyes. Post some pix. We are all dying to see them. :cool:

Bob&Patty

66V, look at the link Freckles posted. I buy all my stuff from them. Alot cheaper than Lowes or any other RV store. BTW, they supply HL with all there stuff. Bob:D:D

JohnDar

66V, look at the link Freckles posted. I buy all my stuff from them. Alot cheaper than Lowes or any other RV store. BTW, they supply HL with all there stuff. Bob:D:D

Take a closer look, Bob. The 4x10's they sell are plastic, not steel. The one's I got at Lowe's are steel, same brown color, and I was able to get them by taking a short drive on a rainy day at the campground when the wild hair (man, I gotta quit with these body references) tickled me to do it. The registers were not all that expensive. The wife's hummingbird feeders, hanging poles, and "Oh, let's have lunch at Ruby Tuesday's" was.:(

Thanks All for the advice. I will try try the adjustable air registers and try some of the other suggestions. They sound like good suggestions.

caissiel

Here in Canada I always use the furnace in combination with electric/Fireplace heaters to circulate air in the unit. Space heaters are spotty and leave cold drafts. The ceiling fan, while in reverse and slow will feel cosy

JohnDar

John, they do sell metal registers. Mine came last week from D&W. Bob:D

Musta missed it. I saw the 2x10's, but did not see any 4x10 ones with dampers in them. Anyways, they sure help to regulate the heat distribution.

Bob&Patty

John, you might be right about 4X 10's. My BH uses the 2X10. I did find that they have stuff that is not on the web-site. I have called them and ordered stuff. Bob:D

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
66V, check all the slide seals and make sure they are tight to the body. I had one that did not seal at the top. Boy did it let the cold air be sucked into the coach. I did modify the underbelly heating system. I also installed 2" block foam insulation in the beams under the BR. I could send you a PM of how to install better heating in the underbelly. Not hard, just time consuming.

Larry, "come on man"...........pink fuzzy slippers with ears and eyes. Post some pix. We are all dying to see them. :cool:

I'll bet you look really, really CUTE in those Larry!:eek:

http://
crazyforbargains_2082_34490962.gif

Boy, I tell you it's getting bad when people make fun of your slippers.

PSF513

LARRY: Those are great. I can not wait to see you model them. That would easily be worth telling Keith about it.

Hope you and Sam have a Merry and Safe Christmas.

Bob&Patty

WOW!! Larry, those are really cool dude :cool:. JC Pennys or Wally World. Did you once say that you were 6'4" and #240 ??? Well a middle line backer can wear anything he wants....... :eek: