Medicine Question for Fulltimers

tmax264

We have been fulltimers for about 3 months. We are currently in Gulfport MS. We tried to fill a Class 3 prescription at a local Walgreens and was told that Mississippi law does not allow them to fill a out of state Class 3 prescription. Since we are traveling all over the US we are wondering if there are other states that will not fill this prescription. Does anyone know of a website that list these states. Fortunately Alabama does fill them and it was only a hours drive to get it refilled. But we would hate to be stuck somewhere that would be a day or longer to refill this.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We have been fulltimers for about 3 months. We are currently in Gulfport MS. We tried to fill a Class 3 prescription at a local Walgreens and was told that Mississippi law does not allow them to fill a out of state Class 3 prescription. Since we are traveling all over the US we are wondering if there are other states that will not fill this prescription. Does anyone know of a website that list these states. Fortunately Alabama does fill them and it was only a hours drive to get it refilled. But we would hate to be stuck somewhere that would be a day or longer to refill this.

Why not use a mail order pharmacy? You can get a 90 day supply cheaper from a mail order pharmacy. I have not heard of that law however maybe if the doctor faxed the script to the pharmacy that might work.

DMitch

Tmax, I don't have any help to offer on the state laws but, my wife and I use a mail order pharmacy. If you google "mail order pharmacy" you will see a bunch. Walmart, Walgreen etc. I am sure if you called one of them and explained your circumsatnce they would work with you. Just an idea that my wife an I used for a while, hope it helps. Safe travels.

All the best,

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I don't know why Mississippi won't fill a prescription from a doctor in another state, the doctor's license is federal and should be good nationwide. At least you got it filled and are taken care of.

Been full timing for a year and haven't run into this yet.

Tom of Ypsi

We use Walgreens and have never had a problem in any state we have visited. We have been with Walgreens for 3+ years and before we started fulltiming. If this is your first perscription being filled at Walgreens this may be the problem.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
I think they're referring to a Schedule III drug, which is a controlled susbstance, i.e, amphetamine or a depressant. These types of drugs are highly regulated and each state carries their own restrictions on such prescriptions...don't know if a mail order pharmacy would be able to fill, or not. It's worth looking into.

cjbearden

Visitor
We were recently in CA where the Class 3 drugs are restricted the same as in MS; however, we visited a local M.D. and got new prescription for DH. We always ask for prescriptions to be written for a 90-day basis with 3 refills so we have enough for a year before we have to see a doctor again. We also use Walgreen's and have not had any problems. C.J.

tmax264

Glad to know that CA has the same state regulation as we are headed that way slowly but surely. Wish there was a website that showed the states restrictions. We will be getting three months at a time from now on.