Fridge on propane?

ChopperBill

Had the fridge on propane because we were dry camping. Later on in the day I saw the "check" light was on. Shut off the unit and turned it back on. Heard a couple of huffs and puffs and it started running again. The next day same thing. While on AC from the generator it ran great. Took a look and adjusted the igniter a little closer and saw a moth laying at the bottom of the burner cover when I removed it. Though it might have been the culprit. For three days it ran great on propane and thought it was cured. Then came in and saw the check light on again. Re started it and had the same 3 or 4 huff and puffs and it started up. Got to thinking: :eek: We were camped at over 9000 feet and I know some times you can have trouble lighting a propane lighter. Suppose this could have the same effect with the fridge?

Paul & Nan

We run our fridge on propane often without problem. Maybe moth, maybe spiderweb? Have had rv's since the 60's from coast to coast, and rarely had a problem with fridge in any setting, inculding the Rockies.

jpmorgan37

Hi Bill;
I doubt that the altitude was the problem. We camped at 11 mile reservoir that is about the same altitude and ran the refer on propane for about a week without any problem. Could be a thermocouple or something in the circuit board. If you can get somebody to help you, try watching it when you turn it on propane to see if it is a smooth light or why it huffs and puffs. It also might be something in the line to the refer.

ChopperBill

Yes guys, never had a problem with the NorCold in our other truck campers at any altitude. Cant figure out why it worked for three days in the the middle of its temper tantrum. While on the subject of fridges: We have a 6 foot NorCold in our Snowriver and the wife said the 8 footer in the Bighorn would be plenty. And a grand extra for the 10 footer as an option is a real heart stopper! Well wife went to put in ice trays. Darn things wont fit in length ways like a normal fridge! Had to put them in sideways. Now how come our little 6 foot NorCold will take trays length ways and the big Dometic wont? Oh, and the little NorCold has a REAL led panel for fault codes and the Dometic has a silly little check light.