Locating Wall "Studs"

SilverRhino

I posted a question to the factory:

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=13456

concerning location of wall studs on a BC 3250. It appears that the new models have done away with the accordion door....which is okay...except for the latching configuration.

I would like to replace mine with a real door....similar to what is used on other models. My concern is mounting the hinge side to something substantial in the wall.

Has anyone tried using an electronic stud finder?? I would try.....but the BC is in storage.....thought maybe someone else has thought of this and tried it.

wyleyrabbit

I have a Zircon stud finder that has settings for wood studs, metal studs, AC, etc. I have to think it would work find to find the metal studs in the trailer.

SmokeyBare

If all else fails... have a look at the RV... early of a morning... when Mother Nature has provided a little Dew... often the RV will have the studs showing with a coating of dew... or moisture on them... caused by the warmth of the inside transferring to the outside of the RV... where the temp difference causes it to collect dew.

Marv

porthole

Retired
If all else fails... have a look at the RV... early of a morning... when Mother Nature has provided a little Dew... often the RV will have the studs showing with a coating of dew... or moisture on them... caused by the warmth of the inside transferring to the outside of the RV... where the temp difference causes it to collect dew.

Marv

And then take a picture or two

aatauses

My stud finder used in building works on density and it will indicate where the 'studs' are located in our rig. You can get one at Lowes/Home Depo---just be sure it works on density of the wall.
al

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Here's a "blue sky" idea. If the studs are not located exactly where you want to attach the door support, bridge the area by attaching a 3/4" plywood panel (stained, trimmed & finished to look nice) to the two studs on either side. Use that to attach the door frame. I would suggest bolting, not screwing, the side frame member to the plywood BEFORE attaching the plywood to the wall. Use a cabinet grade hardwood plywood, not the utility junk at the big box store.

SilverRhino

Good Idea!!!

John;

That's a good idea.....have to admit I had not thought of that. I'll have to looke into that this Spring.

Thanks

Randy

jgoddardg

BH 3670 hallway door

We are looking to do the same thing in our 3670. These are good hints and we'll try them this spring as soon as weather breaks enough to get out. Thanks!

MystrMagic

Magician
Hello everyone. I have the same problem... locating studs in the walls and ceiling of the garage of my 3914. Have tried two different Zircon stud finders, one low end model (about $10.00) and a much more sophisticated model (about $50.00) and while both are supposed to utilize density detection technology, neither one works in the garage... anywhere! These models are supposed to identify not only wood studs, but metal studs and electrical wiring.

They won't even reliably locate the stud that the 19" TV is mounted on. (I'm assuming they would have mounted that on a stud.)

Occasionally the devices will show a stud, then in a couple of seconds that same stud has magically vanished. I'm getting no consistency at all.

I'm wondering if there is an aluminum "sandwich" (for insulation purposes) on the interior of the walls that is interfering with detection.

Hate to keep buying more and more expensive units but I definitely need to locate the studs.

Called Heartland and asked for some sort of blueprint that would show exactly where the studs are and they refused saying that information is proprietary and they won't release it. They did say the studs are on 16" centers but that doesn't necessarily account for variations with window framing and I don't want to be drilling into the edge of a stud, I want the centers. I also don't know just how wide each stud is and, you know, 16" centers don't begin and end exactly at the corners of the room.

I'm installing steel shelving and movable storage compartments (on wheels in aluminum channel tracks) that really need stud attachment, not just molly bolts.

Now that I know the Zircon density stud finders don't work, does anyone have any more ideas for locating solid interior studs?

RoadJunkie

Other than Ground Penetrating Radar (GPR) you may be out of luck. If the cabinets are mounted to the wall, and you can see the mounting screws, I would probably measure 16" and you're probably going to be alright. But maybe not, too. Drilling a very small pilot hole, and a deep breath, you will be able to determine if you hit pay dirt.

wyleyrabbit

I have a Zircon stud finder that was the top-of-the-line a couple of years ago. Tried it yesterday and it seemed to work fine on our rig.

2010augusta

If you are trying to find an interior wall stud, they are only 3/4" wide, I mounted a shelf in the kitchen and was able to find them by measuring.

The exterior and slide walls are framed out with 2" aluminum studs. The Rear wall is 2" wood studs.

Everything is on 16" centers so once you find one you are good to go.

dynaguy

Does anyone have an idea as to how much weight the interior walls can handle? we want to hang a 2nd Tv?