Check your lug wrench!

ChopperBill

Having only about 200 miles on our BH I still decided to check the lugs before our trip home. I am "sure" the dealer checked them after its long trip from the factory. Guess what? my X lug wrench didn't have a correct size nor did my tool kit! Best check to see if you are carrying the right size wrench before your next trip.

K

Ken Washington

ChopperBill,
I also carry a long, heavy breaker bar with the right size socket to fit the lugs. I know that they are tight and would be a pain to get off!
Ken

ChopperBill

Did the lug nut check and my X wrench has the right size, 13/16. The outside diameter just wont go into the opening. My 1/2 drive deep well socket will however. Could grind down the X wrench or buy another breaker bar and socket to carry in the BH. Or I could just sit a wait for the road side assistance insurance to do the dirty work. ;)

nscaler2

Different sizes

I wonder if they are using different sizes on different units. A 7/8 deep socket fits mine like a glove.

ChopperBill

Tom do you have aluminum or the steel wheels? I have the aluminum. The 13/16 socket barley fits in the pilot hole.

sislv

Tom & Sharol
Lug Wrench

Bill......We also have the Bighorn 3055RL with aluminum wheels and I also found my X lug wrench would not fit in the indentations where the lug nuts are. I invested in an inexpensive long handle torque wrench capable of 120 ft. lbs. and a deep well socket that fit fine.

We do have AAA road service with Plus RV road service and it covers both our TV and Fifth Wheel for tire changes, so we don't have to worry about changing tires........only waiting for a response. Hopefully we won't need to call them. The Made In China tires we have do worry me though with what has happened to some on the forum.

Thanks for the heads up Bill on some of the QC problems you found on your 3055RL. I checked ours today on the black tank flush line. Ours seems to be connected as far as I could see. I didn't try to flush the tank, just looked for the hose to be connected.

nscaler2

Steel

ChopperBill,
That must be the difference. I have the steel wheels. I guess they use different lugs on them.

jpmorgan37

I carry a 19 inch breaker bar and socket to fit mine. I don't even think about a lug wrench any more. Not as strong as I used to be.

dieselengineer

Charter Member
Hey everybody, get a good torque wrench capable of at least 120 ft. lbs. I/2 inch drives go up to 150 normally. I use my 3/4 drive since it has a longer handle, and torque the lugs to specs. Over tighting is just as bad as to loose. I check my every trip or stop and it is surprising how loose they get sometimes.

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
I agree with dieselengineer. Lug nuts are supposed to be checked with a torque wrench and I do mine before leaving camp each time I travel (providing that it is not just a short distance). It only takes about five minutes to check torque and air pressure.