"Things you may want to address on your New Sundance

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
There seem to be a few common issues that could be addressed on our new Sundances. I believe correcting these areas will signifcantly improve your RVing travels.

1. Mark front landing gear jacks just shy of the maximum extension and mininum retraction limits. Passing these limits is easy to do and will blow the hidden inline electrical fuse behind the battery.
2. Seal the bottom seams on the UDS Universal Docking Station box, and add a low point drain. (drill 5/8" hole insert sealed 1/2" tube 6" long to release traped water). This will stop your cargo area from getting wet.
3. Replace factory tires with a higher rated quality tire like Michelin or Maxxis, you may have to get new wheels to hold the higher air pressures (i did).
4. Adjust your unit to make it level while pulling, there are a few ways to do this while mantaining clearances. (adding blocks/u-bolts, or air bags, ect)

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
This is one of the most useful posts I've read. Great Job!

grizzlygiant

I replaced the 30 fuse with a 30A plug in circuit breaker....saves a lot of fuss in the dark compartment.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Are they not putting adequate tires/wheels on at the factory?
Some people have had problem with Mission tires. (Search Mission if you have all day to read) .

Some of us have just advoided the problem and replaced them anyway.

In the process some have upgraded rims as well.

cashb

as we just ordered a new sundance 2900MK, thanks for posting this info.... we will use your suggestions ASAP after picking up our new rig!! And if you have any other tips, we would love to see them too...

cashb

as to your Farmall tractor, do you attend the flywheeler's shows? We have an old Case DO and Oliver 55.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
as to your Farmall tractor, do you attend the flywheeler's shows? We have an old Case DO and Oliver 55.

I saw this tractor sitting in the open farm land...I found a little older man working in his barn and ask him if he would sale it. He said "i recon so" and said the steel itself is worth $200, so i gladly gave him the money. This tractor is badly in need of a restoring. For now i just like looking at it!

Attachments

• PICT0186.jpg
    PICT0186.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 112

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Are they not putting adequate tires/wheels on at the factory?

We never had a problem with our Missions, i did have them balanced right away when they were new. I like a larger weight buffer zone from my tires so, I wanted E rated 15" tires but the factory wheels could only handle 60 psi., E tires require 80psi. I bought new wheels rated at 110psi along with new tires. The change out cost just over $1000 after selling the factory wheels/tires on Ebay.

cashb

Westx, any more ideas on issues to be addressed?? Those listed so far are very helpful, so please add more! Anyone else can definately chime in also! Thanks for the helpful hints.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Westx, any more ideas on issues to be addressed?? Those listed so far are very helpful, so please add more! Anyone else can definately chime in also! Thanks for the helpful hints.
Sure.... I ordered a furnace Fan thermostat/switch to operate the furnace fan only with an electric heater. This will allow automatic electric heating through the ductwork to keep the underbelly from freezing while saving propane.
The coldness froze the fresh supply line to the pump last trip so i insulated cargo door,propane container box to the cargo hold and 6' of the outside frame rail to stop transmitting cold to the water lines touching the frame. Support bracket on landing gear motor to stop the motor housing from cracking. Installed a lamp under the refrig aimed at the water pump.
(pics)

Attachments

• PumpHeat.JPG
    PumpHeat.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 161
  • motorSup.JPG
    motorSup.JPG
    156 KB · Views: 173
  • LptankInsul.JPG
    LptankInsul.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 168
  • FrameIsul.JPG
    FrameIsul.JPG
    89.4 KB · Views: 173
  • DrnHtTape.jpg
    DrnHtTape.jpg
    577 KB · Views: 185
  • CdoorInsul.JPG
    CdoorInsul.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 180

cashb

O.K., you have my interest in the furnace fan thermostat switch! How does it operate an electric heater to the ducts? This sounds like a needed mod in my book!

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
O.K., you have my interest in the furnace fan thermostat switch! How does it operate an electric heater to the ducts? This sounds like a needed mod in my book!

Mounted a thermostatic controlled electric heater to the table leg 4" above the floor, aimed it towards the furnace air intake grill.
Wired a double throw toggle switch to operate (fan only line voltage thermostat). //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=12665&highlight=gas+electric+switch

Attachments

• PICT0067.JPG
    PICT0067.JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 178
  • PICT0002.JPG
    PICT0002.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 156
  • EleHtDia.jpg
    EleHtDia.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 121

Del600

Iowa Chapter Founding Father
A couple of things with ours......
1. Look at the calk around the tub/glass enclsosure.
2. Ensure ALL fittings going in to the hotwater tank are tight.
3. If you see "Black Plastic" on the rugs near the slides, get them adjusted right away.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Your Universal Docking Center should be on the driver's side of the coach, inside the storage compartment. It's where your water hookups, phone/cable connections and dump valve handles are located. The big plastic lid at the bottom unscrews so you can feed the lines into it and close the door. Get yourself a piece of 2" thick soft foam and cut a gasket for it with a slot to pass the lines through (see photo). That will keep uninvited crawling guests from visiting. As for the tires, in the past there were problems with premature and catastrophic failure of Chinese tires on some rigs. Along with concern that they could not truly handle the load. This has created a general loathing of any Chinese made tire. Not sure when they stopped or started using Mission tires. My '09 BH3670 came with Freestar tires (also Chinese). I believe Heartland is now using Goodyear tires on the current production.
View attachment 7304

Bighurt

Your Universal Docking Center should be on the driver's side of the coach, inside the storage compartment. It's where your water hookups, phone/cable connections and dump valve handles are located. The big plastic lid at the bottom unscrews so you can feed the lines into it and close the door. Get yourself a piece of 2" thick soft foam and cut a gasket for it with a slot to pass the lines through (see photo). That will keep uninvited crawling guests from visiting. As for the tires, in the past there were problems with premature and catastrophic failure of Chinese tires on some rigs. Along with concern that they could not truly handle the load. This has created a general loathing of any Chinese made tire. Not sure when they stopped or started using Mission tires. My '09 BH3670 came with Freestar tires (also Chinese). I believe Heartland is now using Goodyear tires on the current production.
View attachment 7304

I like your UDC mod...I wonder why Heartland didn't plumb it that way....

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I like your UDC mod...I wonder why Heartland didn't plumb it that way....

Thanks, but I gleaned it from somebody else in the group. It does take a bit of space and the hose is just a tad stiff, which explains why it looks like spaghetti. If I find something more pliable, I might redo it. I think, at one time, HL actually used a water distribution manifold system to plumb the coach, but discontinued it due to cost. It was before my time, however.