Amana MW Convection Oven Vent Problem

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
In our new (to us) ’09 Landmark Pinehurst, my wife was Operating the Amana Microwave Convection Oven. I was outside and noticed the outside exhaust fan vent flapper was barely opening from the fan. I got out a ladder and open the vent cover and noticed the opening was covered by sheet metal from the inside. In the sheet metal I could see 2 - 1½ “ X 3” punch-out’s with 4 - 1/8“ holes in pairs in the bottom of the punch-out’s. I went inside and looked at the installation manual for the Microwave Convection Oven where the manual showed the removal of the punch-out’s before mounting the unit. I got some tools out and went to the outside vent and with a pair of diagional cutters cut between the pairs of 1/8” holes, and then I bent the punch-out’s in and out until they came loose. After I removed the punch-out’s the outside vent flapper now opens all the way on the lowest fan speed and also the fan is much quieter. Also I believe the Microwave Convection Oven will operate cooler and will last longer. See attached pictures of the punch-out’s and the outside vent after the punch-out’s have been removed.

I emailed Jim Belitti the same pictures and the information about the vent punch-out’s so it could forwarded to Heartland RV so they could check the production line. Within a day I received an email back from Jim that the production line was checked and all trailers with the Amana Microwave Convection Oven, was being installed properly.

Wow, what a fast response from Heartland!

If you have a Amana Microwave Convection Oven installed in your unit please check your outside vent to be sure that punch-out’s have been removed. The fast and easy way to check turn out the exhaust fan and go outside and the vent flapper should open all the way. If so your unit is OK. If not then you will need to remove the punch-out’s as I have detailed above.

Attachments

• Vent Punch Outs.JPG
    Vent Punch Outs.JPG
    235.9 KB · Views: 65
  • Vent Opening.JPG
    Vent Opening.JPG
    232.2 KB · Views: 66

jimtoo

Good catch Terry... might save Heartland some warranty dollars or Amana some overheated micro waves.

Jim M

Terry H

Staff member
Yes, I still am getting to know all the workings of this trailer. In about another month of playing Snowbird here in Florida I should have it down.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Terry, just curious as to whether that MW was the OEM, or if it was replaced. If it was replaced the knockouts may have been overlooked by the installer.
Nice coach by the way.......it's no Bighorn but it'll do. :):)

Peace
Dave

2010augusta

The Landmarks use different appliances than the others, Oue 2010 has an 1800 Watt Dometic Convection oven/microwave. I think it is because of the stainless steel finishes.

jbeletti

That was an awesome catch on Terry's part. I was at the plant a couple days after he told me about this. I had the guys show me how they install the Amanas. They assured me they pull those knock-outs, out but they would check with the team that installs them (plant was shut down except for a small crew, for the holiday). A couple days later, I received an email from the Director of production along with photos, showing me that they do in fact remove the knock-outs for the Amana and they felt mine was an isolated incident. That said, in the event it was not isolated to only 1 unit, Terry and I agreed it would be best to mention it on the forum so other LM owners with the Amana unit could check theirs and adjust if needed.

John, Alan is right, the LM comes with some different appliances. A full 30" convection microwave oven is one of those differences. Why Amana at times versus Dometic? I am told that when Dometic supply is constrained, we supply the Amana. I have had both for 2 years each and they both worked great.

Jim, yes, Terry and Carol bought my 2009 LM Pinehurst demo coach. Nice coach and it went to a nice couple :)

Thanks for sharing Terry!

Jim

Terry H

Staff member
Cookie, The MW is OEM.

Jim G., Yes, that was Jim B.'s Pinehurst. We bought it in early November.

JohnDar, In 2009 I believe the Landmarks were using Amana MW. The MW in our trailer is 30" wide. So I am guessing in the 30" wide applications HL used the Amana MW in 2009.

2010Aususta, Our MW is Stainless Steel also.

Jim B., Thanks for the additional information in your post.

2010augusta

Terry, You are correct, My wording may not be the best. I was meaning that the Landmarks and other trailers with stainless options use either Amana or Dometic MW because the Apollo's are not 30" or Stainless Steel.

Enjoy that Pinehurst and good catch on your vent.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
My lack of knowledge about the other HL products. I'm extremely biased towards my BH3670 :D.

Terry H

Staff member
John,

It is understandable being biased about the model you own. In fact that is great.