heat while driving

4ever

I will be heading south from Ohio to Florida at the end of the month. was thinking about having the heat on in the 5th wheel while driving. How many of you out there drive with the heat on in your rigs while going down the highway?

Thanks,

Ted

porthole

Retired
Cooling while driving I could see (providing you have an on board genset). But heating would seem to me to be a real waste of propane.

Just don't have the R-value coupled with the wind chill of doing highway speeds.

Now electric heaters and the genset maybe, but you take an added risk using electric heaters in a moving vehicle.

2010augusta

I find it only takes about 15-20 minutes to warm the trailer up after a day of driving, so we have never ran the furnance or heaters while traveling. During the summer we will start the Genset and both A/Cs about two hours before we stop so the trailer has a chance to cool down before we setup.

jbeletti

I have found that an RV that is very cold inside from sitting unoccupied for a long period, takes a while to really heat up. Once this year, about a half hour from my destination, at a rest stop, I fired up the on-board generator, turned on both heat pumps in my roof-top air conditioners and sure enough, it took enough of the edge off by the time I got to my CG, that I could tolerate it without a jacket and gloves. I kept an eye on the exhaust vapor coming out the generator as I traveled, so I would know if it went out on me or not. It stayed on :)

I have read where it is not advisable to run your propane furnace while driving. Setting aside some people's concern about traveling with propane on, I just don't think the furnace would stay lit with the draft put on the exhaust. Though I have never tried it.

Jim

ricatic

In a previous lifetime I owned motorhomes and also delivered motorhomes all across the country. A friend and I delivered 2 new 40 foot HR Endeavors to Quebec City in February. The temperature was 15 below zero. I ran the propane furnaces on both mine and the delivery coaches every winter. The engine heat would never keep up. I never had a draft induced furnace blowout that I ever noticed. Saying this, I have not tried to use the Big Horn in the winter yet, but I plan to. I would use the timing that JB used above to heat it for the last hour or so before parking for the night.

Ricatic

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
I had my furnace lit when traveling from Douglas to Buffalo, WY last winter...no problems. But then again...I do have the cream of the crop of RVs. Sorry! :D

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
I will be heading south from Ohio to Florida at the end of the month. was thinking about having the heat on in the 5th wheel while driving. How many of you out there drive with the heat on in your rigs while going down the highway?

Thanks,

Ted
I have the same question as you, we will be on the rode the last 2 weeks of Dec....we want to keep the inside of the unit (toilet water, fresh water tank, inside plumbing) from freezing while traveling. It often stays below freezing 24/7 in West Tx. I'm going to set my furnace at 50 deg. while on the road and see how it goes.

dtomlinson

We have had our Sundance for a couple of years and have allways traveled in the winter (going south) with the propane on and the furnace set to about 50 to 60 degrees. We have never had a problem with this (we do shut off before doing gas fills on road). This way we can run with water on board and trailer is warm for lunch and rest stops. We have been rving for over 30 years (with motorhomes before) and did same all the time. This keeps your refrigerator and water heater going also. I usually don't fill water if temps are going to be below 20 degrees.

jbeletti

dt,

Thanks for your insight on using the furnace while traveling over the last 30 years. Sure would be nice to have a warm RV upon arrival :)

I am glad to hear that it works but I do want to make sure that readers are aware that Suburban, and by association, Heartland RVs, does not recommend it.

From Suburban's website:
Question 5
Can I use my furnace while driving?
Answer:
No. Suburban does not feel this is a safe practice. Some states have laws forbidding the use of propane while driving. You should be sure all gas appliances are off and their ignition systems are off while the vehicle is in motion or being towed.
Jim

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
dt,

Thanks for your insight on using the furnace while traveling over the last 30 years. Sure would be nice to have a warm RV upon arrival :)

I am glad to hear that it works but I do want to make sure that readers are aware that Suburban, and by association, Heartland RVs, does not recommend it.

From Suburban's website:
Jim

It appears nearly all of their answers to questions is NO....i'm sure thats the 'safe' answer and protects them from law suits.
I guess its unsafe to run the refrigerator while driving also as it uses propane gas also.

jbeletti

It appears nearly all of their answers to questions is NO....i'm sure thats the 'safe' answer and protects them from law suits.
I guess its unsafe to run the refrigerator while driving also as it uses propane gas also.

I don't know much about lawsuits and how to protect against them. Don't think I'd ever want to be a party to one though :)

As for the refer - I don't know what Dometic or Norcold says on that - but I run mine while I travel. I like colder food and drink :) If I come across anything official, I'll pass it on.

Jim

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I have never heard any fire official say it is safe to travel with the propane on whether it is on for the heater, refrigerator or any other reason.

2010augusta

I have never heard any fire official say it is safe to travel with the propane on whether it is on for the heater, refrigerator or any other reason.

What about propane injection systems for diesel trucks, don't they require the propane to be on while traveling?

truknutt

Committed Member
What about propane injection systems for diesel trucks, don't they require the propane to be on while traveling?

Yes & so do straight LPG vehicles but, that is a "sealed system" as it goes from bottle into engine. I believe the issue is that reefers, heaters, & such have tubes with open flames. Flames go out and now there is raw gas escaping.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I was talking about the propane in the RV. I know there are propane fueled engines for motor vehicles and as such the propane in those have to have a propane supply. Have you ever seen a propane tank explode? I have and it is not a pretty sight. Yet I realize people will do what they will do and if they want to run their propane for their RV heater or fridge while going down the road at 60-70 mph so be it. I just hope I am not beside them if a mishap occurs.

caissiel

I have always done it it for the sake of keeping the trailer from freezing inside, we have all our belongings and do travel more then we sleep on the road south. I only travel at 60MPH and if the furnace cannot stand 60MPH wind, well I never saw it yet. Sometimes its below 0 deg f. The furnace needs to be on.

lwmcguir

With all of our earlier campers we have run the furnace as needed as well. You would hope the safe guards are better today.