Phone line

NWTFHunter

Past Missouri Chapter Leaders
In this high tech age with most folks and us using cell phones I have a question regarding the telephone line connections on my 07 Bighorn. Last summer we camphosted at two Missouri State Parks, both in rural areas with no cell phone service. The Park provides a land line connection at the host site. This was the first time I tried to use a land line phone. I hooked up the cable to the BH and pluged the phone up inside the trailer but did not have anything. Ended up just running the phone line in through a window but that was a hassle. I did look at the phone jacks and there are wires connected to them. Not sure if they are connected to the correct terminals but not sure how to know. Anyone have any thoughts on this topic? We are going back to host this park next summer so would like to get issue cleared up.

jbeletti

Michael,

Consider doing a test on the line. At the back of the UDC, unwire the red/green wires from the back of the jack and connect a 9 volt battery to the wires using a battery clip or some such. Pull the jack off the wall in the RV and unwire the red/green wires from the back of the jack. Using the DC voltage scale on a volt meter, measure across the red/green wires. This will help determine of you have continuity from jack to jack.

Do all of this very slowly as you may find a wire is NOT hooked up or a loose connection etc. Check also that the jacks are wires the same.

Finally, assuming your phone jack inside the RV is in a slide, perhaps the connection has been disrupted where the slide wiring harness mates with the chassis harness. Carefully remove part of the underbelly where the slide wiring harness enters it and look for the connections/splices made to the phone line. If they are bad, replace them with Scotch Lock connectors.

item-thumbnail-store7010-image10.jpg

Hope you get more ideas on what to try but my fear is - you will have to tear into this to figure out what is wrong. Please circle back once you have it figured out so your repair can inspire others that may find their phone jack inop.

Jim

NWTFHunter

Past Missouri Chapter Leaders
Thanks

Thanks for the suggestions Jim. Not sure if I'll get to doing before the holidays or not. Sounds like it might be a project to do after the first of the year when we are in Gulf Shores and warmer weather.

wdk450

Tracer/Tester

Gang:
A few years ago I picked up a tone/tracer set in the electrical tools section at Home Depot. I know they still have them, but they are not on the HD website.
I did a Google search and found a pic on the Smarthome website. The price is about what I remember. This is handy for tracing broken wires, or checking out circuits. It has connectors for telephone, cable, datajacks and alligator clips. Here is the link:
http://www.smarthome.com/90502/Wire-Tracker/p.aspx