Landing Gear Died

navyAZ1

Well this has been one bad year for us now our landing gear has quit:mad:. I was setting up to level things a little better since stuff had settled a little since setting up here a couple of weeks ago. Hooked up the truck reajusted things and unhooked from the truck, I needed to raise the front about 1½" it started to move then I hear this clunking noise and everything quit and got in a bind. When I look up inside I can see the motor torque some but the worst noise seems to come from the opposite side that's what seems to be binding. Anyone know if there is a Lippert drawing available that shows how this is assembled? Guess I'll get started unloading my stuff from the front compartment while y'all think about this. I'll tell you what we just have not had a good year first our TV died (ASA replaced free) that was great. Then our power converter died (mfg replaced for $100) that was great also. Next our furnace died and still no luck finding anyone who knows what to do to fix it. And now our landing gear has gone kaput! Glad this year is almost over!:eek:

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Here's a diagram (unfortunately not real clear) I got from Lippert. Mine was manufactured by Venture, but there are other manufacturers so yours may be different. I called Lippert Customer Service and got great assistance from them. It will help if you have your VIN number when you call. they can then immediately tell which manufacturer made your leg/gear. There are several gears, shafts, and pins in the assembly and if it is binding internally, any one of them could be the problem. You'll have to take the leg apart to find what is causing the problem (assuming it is internal to the leg). The good news is that you can take the leg out of the trailor and fix it yourself if you're just a little handy and have a good assortment of tools. I had to take the leg out to replace the gear shaft that attached to the cross tube that comes across from the drive side (Lippert calls them the lead and follow legs/gear assemblies). If you want to call me I can give you more details (703-409-9947).

Attachments

• ELG exploded view.pdf
    65.1 KB · Views: 109

navyAZ1

I think I'll give you a call I thought I could handle the fix since I saw on the Lippert site that they sell a repair kit for about $25. But I'm thinking it may be just a sheared pin or something like that. What I can't figure out is what holds the leg in there, on mine all I see is 2 channels or "U" shaped brackets that protrude past the side of the leg and a bolt is run thru that to hold the leg in place, what I can't figure out is how is the leg being held in place for it to carry the weight of the camper. These brackets are welded to the frame but it appears they are not welded to the leg and I can't see any other visible means of support for the leg:confused:. But, I know it has to be there somewhere. I have used a large jack they have at the park to raise the rig slightly and then placed blocking under the frame to allow me to take the weight off the leg so I can remove it. I really appreciate you help Gus.

Thanks,

Ron:D

Mariposa

landing gear?

Think I will join the crowd. Broke the landing gear while in Calif. and had RV parks with long pull throughs for the trip back to Texas. Didn't have to unhook.
Gus, thanks for LG parts diagram. My next step it to remove the landing gear, tube and all.
Ron, I have taken the power side off and worked on that. There is a couple of ears on the back side of the tube that help hold things in place.
Am waiting for a little better weather, as a few things have to set out side for a while. The park we are in has concrete pads, but the water doesn't drain off very fast.
The trip to Texas from Calif. was cold in a few locations with snow on the ground. But nice and toasty in the Big Horn.
Bob

boatto5er

Bob,

Have you resealed the opening where the leg came out through the bottom of the front compartment? If so, what did you use? I've seen a couple of foam type spray sealants at the H/W stores, but they appear to be for small jobs, like sealing electrical boxes, etc.

boatto5er

I think I'll give you a call I thought I could handle the fix since I saw on the Lippert site that they sell a repair kit for about $25. But I'm thinking it may be just a sheared pin or something like that. What I can't figure out is what holds the leg in there, on mine all I see is 2 channels or "U" shaped brackets that protrude past the side of the leg and a bolt is run thru that to hold the leg in place, what I can't figure out is how is the leg being held in place for it to carry the weight of the camper. These brackets are welded to the frame but it appears they are not welded to the leg and I can't see any other visible means of support for the leg:confused:. But, I know it has to be there somewhere. I have used a large jack they have at the park to raise the rig slightly and then placed blocking under the frame to allow me to take the weight off the leg so I can remove it. I really appreciate you help Gus.

Thanks,

Ron:D

Ron,

It was a pleasure talking with you the other day. Have you had any luck with the landing leg yet?

Jburks

I had to replace the non-power side leg on our 2900MK and I picked up a can of spray foam at Lowes, worked great, the only color they had was orange but who cares it sealed the gap just fine. After the foam was set I used a utility knofe to trim back the outside edge so that it could not be seen.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Bob,

Have you resealed the opening where the leg came out through the bottom of the front compartment? If so, what did you use? I've seen a couple of foam type spray sealants at the H/W stores, but they appear to be for small jobs, like sealing electrical boxes, etc.

Gus, you can get a spray foam made by Great Stuff. It does come in black, and it will expand to fill the gap. I have plans to do this and have the spray foam, but have not gotten around to it yet. Maybe next month. I will take a blade and run it around the leg once it is set. By the way, the black stuff is used for outdoor backyard ponds and can be found at building centers or garden centers. You may not find it till spring.

Peace
Dave

Mariposa

front landing

With help from Gus and the diagram, was better to pin point the trouble. A whole new landing gear had to be ordered. Had some assistance from Vance (Parts Advisor) at Ron Hoover, Houston
Bob

navyAZ1

Hey Gus, I finally got fit weather to empty the front storage and get in there. I pulled the leg off today removed the top cap and WA LA the horizontal bevel gear has about 3 teeth missing. Ordered the new repair kit from Lippert should be here Friday. Now if I could get my furnace figured out all would be good, we are getting close to freezing temps next week.:D

boatto5er

Glad everything is working out on the landing leg. Wish I had some ideas on the furnace, but I'm not familiar enough with those (yet). Have you tried turning the temperature up fairly high (80's) to see how long it would stay on? Let me know how the repair on the leg goes.

Gus

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
The lastest issue of Trailer Life magazine has an article about how to troubleshoot a suburban heater. It is very informative.

Mariposa

landing gear?

I order a replacement for the non-power jack. It was shipped from Lippert. Pick it up at the dealer yesterday. It was all wrap up for shipping. Today I unwrapped the jack and found gravel had been put into the gears before it was wrap. and after it was grease. The top drive shaft was on the wrong side. Everything is 180' degrees out. I guess an order for a different one will have to be made, but today I was up against EST, so will have to wait until next week.
Bob

navyAZ1

I order a replacement for the non-power jack. It was shipped from Lippert. Pick it up at the dealer yesterday. It was all wrap up for shipping. Today I unwrapped the jack and found gravel had been put into the gears before it was wrap. and after it was grease. The top drive shaft was on the wrong side. Everything is 180' degrees out. I guess an order for a different one will have to be made, but today I was up against EST, so will have to wait until next week.
Bob

Yikes, hope the parts I ordered arrive in better shape. Just a heads up for those of you who might need the repair kit for the landing gear. I priced it at Camping World $45 plus tax, from Venture the landing gear mfg they wanted $50 plus shipping, called Lippert cost was $27 plus shipping which was $10. Now don't you think that Lippert is getting the repair kit from Venture?:confused: Oh Yeah, I checked the gears on the motor leg and they were getting dry also just like the non powered leg that went bad. The grease was hard and dry on both legs so I'm giving them both a good shot of grease to make sure it all works smooth.:D

The question about my furnace "IT"S FIXED" WOOOOOO HOOOOO!!! You can read that thread in the "appliances" area.

Mariposa

landing gear?

I lose my cool at Ron Hoover parts, (still haven't had my money returned, $260)
PPL order landing gear from Venture and the right leg arrived. I installed it and have tested it. Everything seem to be working as it should.
getting the right parts was the hardest part and parts managers weren't much help.
Bob
Now on to the next project

TXBobcat

Fulltime
This is an intresting thread. I haven't had a problem with my landing gear yet, but I would like to grease the gears. How do I get to them. What grease sould I use? Are the gears plastic?

Thanks
BC

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Bob, if you look at the top of your landing gear legs, there is a metal cover. Pry it off and you will be able to look down in. You will see gears. I used a mirror.

Peace
Dave