Fire Safety

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
In preperation of our 2010 SC Rally where we will have a seminar put on about RV fire safety by the Director of Education for Horry Cty. Fire and Rescue, I was wondering what everyone does concerning this.

Anybody carry extra fire extinguishers, know which windows are the for fire egress, etc? Anyone ever try "escaping" through a window?

What about extra fuel and chemical storage? And of course generator safety.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
If you have ever attended a seminar by "Mac the fire guy" you are a believer in fire safety. After attending his seminar we bought 3 additional fire extinguishers which are "Class A" meaning they will put out anything. Also we opened the emergency exits so we knew how they worked and proved they did in fact work. We also lubed the window gaskets. If you have never opened them you should. As Mac told us in the average RV fire you will have 30 seconds to get out. Do you know where your emergency exits are and how to open them? We carry 2 fire extinguishers in the tow vehicle, two in the basement of the RV and 2 inside the RV. When we go to bed I always make sure the cell phone and tow vehicle and RV keys are in a place in the bedroom I can get to them in case we have to make a hasty exit. We also check all of the detectors for function monthly.

truknutt

Committed Member
Not to make light of this topic but, after hitting those buffets and pot-luck dinners I have wondered if we could "physically" get out of those emergency windows! It's a long way down, too!

I try to keep the area clear under those exit windows 'cause when I come out it's not gonna be pretty and landing on chairs, motorcycles, 4-wheelers, or the like won't help! :(

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
We are both Firefighter I graduates and have discussed the possibilities and reactions. We made sure all egress windows operated properly but I'm going to save exit drill from the bedroom for the real thing which I pray is never. I do like the dresser under the egress window in our bighorn. It may make it easier to get out the window and hopefully lowered to the ground without injury. That's a long way down! Anyone carrying emergency escape ladders up there?

www.fireescapesystems.com/quickescape.asphttp://www.fireescapesystems.com/quickescape.asp

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Never heard of Mac the fire guy but googled him and found his sight. Thanks, good reading. I knew I wasnt as prepared as I could or should be but thought I was ok--NOT.

Never thought about K extinguisher.

The ladder under the window is a good idea. I believe Sam and I could get out but in my case the fall would be very graceful, but like Trunutt the landing would not be pretty.

rick_debbie_gallant

If you have ever attended a seminar by "Mac the fire guy" you are a believer in fire safety. After attending his seminar we bought 3 additional fire extinguishers which are "Class A" meaning they will put out anything. Also we opened the emergency exits so we knew how they worked and proved they did in fact work. We also lubed the window gaskets. If you have never opened them you should. As Mac told us in the average RV fire you will have 30 seconds to get out. Do you know where your emergency exits are and how to open them? We carry 2 fire extinguishers in the tow vehicle, two in the basement of the RV and 2 inside the RV. When we go to bed I always make sure the cell phone and tow vehicle and RV keys are in a place in the bedroom I can get to them in case we have to make a hasty exit. We also check all of the detectors for function monthly.

As for the "buffet-itis" you might think about trying about trying to locate your picnic table under your window.

As for the fire extinguisher I think the multi-purpose extinguisher is a type "ABC". A for the paper, wood , plastic and such. B for the flammable liquids. and C for electrical. A simple way to put out a stove fire is to put a lid on the pan or use baking soda.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
As for the "buffet-itis" you might think about trying about trying to locate your picnic table under your window.

As for the fire extinguisher I think the multi-purpose extinguisher is a type "ABC". A for the paper, wood , plastic and such. B for the flammable liquids. and C for electrical. A simple way to put out a stove fire is to put a lid on the pan or use baking soda.

You're correct. Class A is ordinary combustibles, like paper and wood. Usually a pressurized water can. In the hands of a civilian, the typical 1A-10BC size extinguisher won't put out as much fire in a smoke filled trailer at 2:00AM as it will in an outdoor training scenario.

Personally, I would not waste the money on having multiple extinguishers and the false security they provide. Knowing that your trailer systems are in proper working order, checking appliances before retiring, and having working smoke detectors will do more to save your life. If you're a sound sleeper, get one to mount over your head in the bed. If you're worried about something in the basement, put a detector down there, too.

As for bailing out the bedroom window. I'd end up dying of heat and smoke inhalation trying to force my wife out it. And she'd be a partially burnt corpse hanging on the side of the rig. The smoke detectors will alert you long before the raging inferno has blocked the door.

2010augusta

I agree with John about escaping the window. On our August it is less than 9 feet between the escape window in the bedroom and the main door, and I know I can make it through that 9 feet of trailer a whole lot faster than my 275# body will make it through that window. And if I remember right smoke rises and you are suspose to get as low to the floor as possible, so I will get down to the main level and out the main door.

jmgratz

You are correct ... the extinguishers we got from Mac the fireguy are rated AB and are not for electrical fires. The trigger on these extinguishers is proportional. It is not full on or full off. The harder you pull the more pressure it has. In a grease fire that helps from splashing hot grease everywhere. It is also non-staining. In the demo Mac had a student spray him with one and in 10 minutes it was dry and you couldn't tell it was ever on his clothes.

Attachments

• Exting3.jpg
    Exting3.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 10
  • exting2.jpg
    exting2.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 10
  • exting1.jpg
    exting1.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 11

JohnDar

You are correct ... the extinguishers we got from Mac the fireguy are rated AB and are not for electrical fires. The trigger on these extinguishers is proportional. It is not full on or full off. The harder you pull the more pressure it has. In a grease fire that helps from splashing hot grease everywhere. It is also non-staining. In the demo Mac had a student spray him with one and in 10 minutes it was dry and you couldn't tell it was ever on his clothes.

I looked at the FireAde2000 website, but they're pretty close-lipped about its chemistry, even on the MSDS. But, as for the trigger and using it on a grease fire, that's assuming the cook hasn't gone spasdic and uses the "grip it and rip it" technique. Then you've got burning grease/oil all over. A frying pan lid and/or baking soda, even a large wet towel, will put out a fire in a pan.

Do whatever it is that makes you feel safe, but if nothing else, have working smoke detectors. They save lives, fire extinguishers don't.

B. Lee

Firecapt422
About four years ago I was first in on a fatal fire in a fifth wheel. The lady had been smoking inside the trailer and her ash tray was full and overflowed into the waste can sitting below the ash tray. The fire started in the rear living portion of the trainer. Upon arrival, she was sitting in the door way with her feet on the steps. The rear half of the trailer was fully involved, and she was DOA. These trailers go up quick.
In regards to stove top fires I suggest that you use a pair of tongs to put the lit on the pan or pot. This way you are not reaching near the flames to sprinkle the baking soda or putting a damp towel on the fire.

Butch

Last edited:

Elder1

That fire ladder looks like a great thing but Im wondering how long does it take to setup and will the window frame support it while we climb down? Unless the fire is between me and the door I think I would have a better chance of getting out that way then trying to use the escape window. Im kinda look like the Michelin tire guy.

jbeletti

Never heard of Mac the fire guy but googled him and found his sight. Thanks, good reading. I knew I wasnt as prepared as I could or should be but thought I was ok--NOT.

Larry,

If you plan to join us at the Nashville rally in July 2010, Mac will be giving his RV Fire Safety Seminar and he will vend his wares as well. Should be very informative.

Jim

porthole

Retired
I think it is safe to say that if your "walkout" exit is blocked by fire - and your trapped by fire, you will not care how you get out the window or the consequences.

Instinct will have you out the window no matter how high it is.

And at the height of a 5th wheel front bedroom window, your injuries - if any - would most likely be minimal compared to the alternative.

Dozens of people jumped from the WTC, and there was no chance of surviving. Human nature dictates you will go out the window given no other choice.

How your children will escape is a different story. Very few children ever jump, they almost always hide.

E.D.I.T.H. Exit Drills In The Home
Plan your escape (and a backup) practice your escape and have a meeting place

Smoke detectors and E.D.I.T.H. will save you and your family's life.

Last edited:

JohnDar

I think it is safe to say that if your "walkout" exit is blocked by fire - and your trapped by fire, you will not care how you get out the window or the consequences.

Instinct will have you out the window no matter how high it is.

And at the height of a 5th wheel front bedroom window, your injuries - if any - would most likely be minimal compared to the alternative.

Dozens of people jumped from the WTC, and there was no chance of surviving. Human nature dictates you will go out the window given no other choice.

How your children will escape is a different story. Very few children ever jump, they almost always hide.

E.D.I.T.H. Exit Drills In The Home
Plan your escape (and a backup) practice your escape and have a meeting place

Smoke detectors and E.D.I.T.H. will save you and your families life.

I'm not discounting the emergency exit windows, but if the flames in your 5th wheel are blocking you from the door, you've probably been dead for several minutes from heat and smoke inhalation or soon will be due to the effects it has on your motor functions. And now you've got to rip the day/night shade off the window, open it, and get yourself and your spouse through it. Firefighters that run out of air in smoke repeatedly have become confused and disoriented after only a few breaths of heavy smoke. The only thing that saved them were other firefighters being able to locate them and drag them out quickly. Yes, children tend to hide. And they also don't react well to most smoke alarms, either, so if it's going off, get to them if you can.

As for the WTC, http://www.fdnylodd.com/9-11-Never-Forget/Memorials/Blood-Of-Heroes.html Let your anger be revived.

jmgratz

Well it is comforting to me to know I have an escape window in the bedroom and the living room.

JohnDar

To each their own. I'm comforted by the fact that I install fresh batteries in my smoke and CO detector at the start of each season. And that I can set off the smoke detector by overbrowning the breakfast toast just a little with the main door closed. Makes the wife mad, but to me it's life insurance. Stay safe.

Boca_Shuffles

I modified a FirstAlert emergency ladder for use in the bedroom. Since the dresser cabinet is under the window, I had to modify the "shepherd hook" at the top so that it was more "L" shaped rather than "C" shaped. I added two hooks to a the end of the rope so that they connect into the handles of the cabinets. Since the weight will be primarily on the window sills, the cabinet handles won't have to withstand much "shear" upward force.

The "L" shape also decreased the blockage of the window by the frame.

Since the ladder was for a two story building, I was able to remove four rungs off the bottom, thus reducing the overall weight of the unit.

The intent was to make something that was light enough for my wife to use and to make something that could be set up in less than 10 seconds.

After several back surgeries, my wife was not enthralled with the scenario of just hanging out the window.