How good is fire place compared to portable heater?

Natesi

How good is the fire place compared to a portable heater?

I’m a totally new to RVs and looking to buy a 3670RL this spring. I have a question about the fire place: How good is it?
<o></o>
I’m going to be living in it full time and I’m wondering if I wouldn’t be better off running a portable heater? I can’t see spending extra money on it if it’s not as good, plus I’d lose the storage space. Temps where I'm at can get in the 20s and extremely rarely in the teens.

<o></o>
Thanks,
<o></o>
-Nathan

Last edited:

Rickhansen

Natesi,
When we purchased the Bighorn, I was skeptical of the fireplace but my wife really wanted it. I thought the same as you, and preferred the extra functionality of the drawers in the desk. Needless to say, we ended up with the fireplace.

The fireplace is "functional" as a space heater. It is basically a 1500 watt fan forced air space heater (not much different than you already have), but with a definite decorative advantage. It does add a cozy ambiance, as well as additional heat where needed most.

Even in our extended Florida visit (approaching 2 years now) we use the fireplace routinely November through March. It is always convenient. It's there, you don't have to stow it, plug it in, fight with cords, breakers or GFCI's.

We also have two other electric heaters, a baseboard heater under the rear window, and a oil-filled heater between the couch and dinette. In the winter months, we use the space heaters and the furnace to maximize comfort and balance the cost between the propane and electric bill. I'll say with high electric rates, there is no cost savings in this philosophy, but convenience and comfort are our driving factors.

Our rig can suck up some propane. Checking and running out to refill tanks is not an exciting chore.

After two years in our rig, I'd say our rationale on the fireplace is the same as when we purchased the option, and we'd probably do it the same way again. Sorry I can't offer more definitive advice - it really is a personal choice.

geeksrus

Why not both?

We like the fireplace in ours, mainly for the affect, as it doesn't get the heat near enough when you are seating on the sofa & loungers or at the kitchen table.

Eh!

grizzlygiant

The above comments are accurate: Fireplace for looks and portable heaters for heat where you want it (and MUCH lower innitial cost). We had a fireplace in our BH and now space heaters only in our Sundance. We are living fulltime in a climate where zero is not unusual and prefer the space heater route.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We didn't want the fireplace but it was already in the rig when we bought it. After having it we won't do without it now. It doesn't put out an enormous amount of heat but will take the chill out in the on those cool morning. It also is a great supplemental heat and sometimes fools your mind into thinking it is warmer than it is. :)

CrazyScotsman

I agree with Jim 100%.
We wouldn't be without ours, even when heat isn't needed, we will just turn on the flames for ambience, also works great as a night light.

Natesi

Hmmm....

So, it's about as effective as a space heater, it sounds like...

Rick: You need the fire place AND two other heaters in the winter to keep cozy in the back of the RV -- in Florida?

MD Buck

Have the fireplace in our 3670 & it has been great as a supplemental heat source the past few weeks. We've found that since the heat rises, it even helps in the bedroom when the door is left open. We also had a space heater, but found it was in the way alot and the fireplace more convenient.

Delaine and Lindy

Fireplace ..........

We have had at least 1 Fireplace in all our 5th wheels except the first one. We now have two in the Suites. The two keep the 5er warm, and haven't used the furnace and we are in Gulf Shore until April. I highly recomend the Fireplace, the ambience alone will justify the cost. We will be going back to Tennessee for a few days and we will leave the furnace set at 40 degrees. We really enjoy our Fireplaces. Everyone seems to think they need the extra storage we determined when we were full timing we had to much storage, we were hauling to much Stuff that we didn't use enough to justify hauling it around. We now only take things we actually use. But it always gets back to choices, and each has their own. Good Luck with your choices. GBY...

4ever

At first we were not going to get the fireplace thought we would never use it. Asked a similar question to yours on the forums and after reading all the posts decided to get one. We use ours a lot. Nice to look at and it does really help to warm up the coach.

Ted

Rickhansen

Natesi,
I wouldn't say "Need" was the operative word here. In North Florida, we've seen night and early morning temps in the high 20's. Usually by mid-morning, we're back into 50's with warm sunshine. The back of the coach is cooler, because of convection and drafts from the single pane windows we have.

We often heat with one or more space heaters on low and let the furnace "trim the difference" and to distribute the airflow.

We spent most of our lives in Michigan but I'm tellin' "ya, a couple years down South will thin your blood out.

Natesi

Cool thanks for all the input. The fire place DOES sound nice.

Couple more questions though...

1--If you get the fire place, you lose the filing cabinet. So, where do you put your files? Will a filing cabinet fit under the "desk"?

2--Those space heaters don't last forever, and I'd imagine the element in the fire place won't either. Since I'm gong to be full timing, should I worry about over-using it and wearing it out prematurely? If (when) it does go out, can I buy just the parts I need or do I have to buy a new $700 fire place? If I can get just the parts, are they reasonable?

Thanks again,

-Nathan

Last edited:

talley

Natesi, looks like a trend is developing... we bought our BH off a dealers lot, first RV and not very knowledgable. The BH had most options including the fireplace. Like Jim we did not want the fireplace. Thought it was not necessary and would rather have the storage. Even priced out the removal and having cabinets installed. Three years later of full-timing in the BH and we would not be without one. Plus the double pane windows.

boatdoc

Fireplace & Dual Panes are must haves for us. When we were going to order, we were'nt going to get them but the one we bought off the lot had both of these options and the price was right so we took it instead of ordering. Thought we'd "live" with them. Now wouldn't be without either.

Tom of Ypsi

If we are paying for electric we do not use the fireplace or the heaters. With the fireplace on and electric heater plugged into the bedroom the coach will stay warm but can get expensive. With that being said we probably will have the fireplace on any future coaches we may buy.

talley

Cool thanks for all the input. The fire place DOES sound nice.

Couple more questions though...

1--If you get the fire place, you lose the filing cabinet. So, where do you put your files? Will a filing cabinet fit under the "desk"?

2--Those space heaters don't last forever, and I'd imagine the element in the fire place won't either. Since I'm gong to be full timing, should I worry about over-using it and wearing it out prematurely? If (when) it does go out, can I buy just the parts I need or do I have to buy a new $700 fire place? If I can get just the parts, are they reasonable?

Thanks again,

-Nathan

Nathan, you may have already found these websites. www.optiflame.com and www.dimplex.com

The fireplace I have is Optiflame and is one of the brands of Dimplex. Don't have any special knowledge or insight on these, but from website appears parts from dealers would not be much of a problem.

Don't know what your floorplan offers as file drawers, ours has a desk and two drawer file cabinet under the top. We try to carry only current and necessary files/papers. We do have some files in portable plastic file carton from Office Depot.

Could not address the issue you initially raised to compare the fireplace and a space heater. Never used a space heater in the RV. Fireplace does allow you to stare into the "fire" and relax. Somehow it sure does look realistic!:)

Jerry