Bedroom door "latch" in Elkridge 29RKSA

Hi, all. We took delivery of our new Elkridge a week ago, and have been happily exploring all its features. Got a question about the bedroom door, though -- the rigid edge of the folding door has a small hole drilled in it where it fits over a little screw with a plastic cover on the wall side of the doorway to "latch" the door closed. Well, the little screw with the plastic cover pulled out of the wall the first time I opened the door (no surprise, it has nothing to hold it in the wall panel, and only about a 1/4" of the screw was actually in the wall).

This seems like a really mickey mouse arrangement in an otherwise classy trailer. Now we have a hole in the door, a hole in the wall, and no way to keep the door closed. Is there no "real" latch we can get for the door? Surely we're not the first who've had this problem?

TIA for any comments or help,

-- Nicole

SilverRhino

You're Not Alone

I sympathize with your problem! We have a 2010 BC 3250 and it has the same set up. The "peg" sticking out of the wall is a real pain...and a very flimsy way of keeping the door closed.

The only reason we close the door is to keep the dogs in or out of the bedroom......well that doesn't work.

I plan on trying to use some tan Velcro pads to replace the peg. I am thinking that two should do the trick.....placing them one above and one below the current peg......probably about 12 inches.

We are hoping this works.....if not we will keep looking. I had thought about replacing the accordion door with a real door: Locating Wall "Studs" ...but...based on the replies don't think this is a feasible fix.

If you come up with any other ideas....please post.....I think a lot of us are dealing with this.

Good Luck & Travel Safe!

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
We had the same thing happen. We were lucky because the dealer used a plastic anchor in the hole and replaced the "peg" and all is well again. We could have also removed the light switch behind the wall where the "peg" came off and used that area to manipulate piece of reinforcement wood block into place while someone else screwed the "peg" back into place.

Good luck,
Mark

SilverRhino

Welcome!!!

Oh....by the way.....welcome to the forum and the Great Heartland family.

You will not only get some great advice on this forum.....but also get to "meet" some fantastic people!

Good Luck & Travel Safe!

B

bwwalczak

Sorry to hear about the accordion door. It seems that our installer must have missed the backer.

If you need assistance, our service and warranty department is equipped to field calls and direct you to a local dealer if necessary.

jmaguire

U.F.B.- how many companies have online services where they actually go out of their way to see if customers need help.

We have had very few problems with our Eagle ridge 35DSRL, and I feel good about buying a Heartland product.

Thanks for the responses, everyone, and Bryan, I'll likely take the problem to the dealer who sold us the unit (once we have a truck to pull it there!).

The velcro sounds like a good idea, too, and if the little peg goes again, that's what we'll try next.

Cheers from snowy Ottawa, where we're dreaming of warmer climes.....

-- Nicole

GETnBYE

Same problem here. Our unit is now with a dealer for lots of other repairs, but that is one that is on the list. I think we have a great dealer to work with now, (fingers crossed). I will let you know how they fixed our door.