Warning to travelers

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I just read an article in the KRGV.com website that Ciudad de Juarez in Mexico, just acros the border from El Paso is one of the deadliest cities in the world.

Keep in mind that Juarez is only 52 miles from Las Cruces NM and 279 miles from Carlsbad.

Not trying to be an alarmist here, but just wanted to let everyone know that this is a very dangerous place to go. This is nowhere near the Rio Grande Valley area, but El Paso is/was a popular place to visit.

SilverRhino

Even Aide Workers in Danger

I just read an article in the KRGV.com website that Ciudad de Juarez in Mexico, just acros the border from El Paso is one of the deadliest cities in the world.

Keep in mind that Juarez is only 52 miles from Las Cruces NM and 279 miles from Carlsbad.

Not trying to be an alarmist here, but just wanted to let everyone know that this is a very dangerous place to go. This is nowhere near the Rio Grande Valley area, but El Paso is/was a popular place to visit.

Our Church has a "sister" Church there and in the past have sent a group down to build "block" houses for the residents. Last year the trip was canceled for safety reasons. This year the plan was to not go down and spend time building...but...to deliver food staples.

At this time....it is still planned....but it will involve a limited number of people and time spent in the area. Very sad situation>

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
The "drug wars" in Mexico have made many safe areas of the Mexican border areas unsafe to travel too. They will continue to be this way until the Amercan government sets their mind to really get serious about illegal drug usage in this country. Without users the demand for the product would dry up. You should also be aware that Afghanistan is one of the worlds largest producers of the poppy. We all should know what that means. What is our government doing to eliminate that problem while we are there? Little or nothing? BTW Ciudad de Juarez in Mexico has never had the reputation of being a very safe city and the drugs wars have just made that problem worse. Stay safe.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
This past February when we went to Donna TX we went across the border at Progresso and saw a large military and police presence, complete with APC's and machine guns, so we felt very safe. Even then we heard stories of killings and abductions from the Juarez area, so this is a continuation of the drug wars. I seem to remember that there were several police chiefs that were murdered by the drug lords.

Delaine and Lindy

Mexico....

Thanks for the warning, but when we left Mexico the last time in 2007 I told DW I wouldn't leave this Country again, and I still feel that way. GBY...

jimtoo

I would not recommend you go to any of the larger towns on the border now. Even Nueva Laredo has had at last count 92 murders and I think about another 40 or so on this side of the border. It is pretty bad now due to the drug war. I think some of the smaller towns, not known for a lot of truck traffic and importing places are OK, but I would still stay strictly on main streets and high visibility tourist places. And what ever you do, do not break any laws, jaywalking, throwing trash down on street, (like a little more would hurt anything). There have been a few instances of instance fines, (go to closest ATM and pay on the spot).

Also, if you take your vehicle, be sure there is not any bullets of any kind or weapons in it. You will lose everything, even if it is just a few bullets loose in the glove box or trunk and they find them.

talley

This past February when we went to Donna TX we went across the border at Progresso and saw a large military and police presence, complete with APC's and machine guns, so we felt very safe. Even then we heard stories of killings and abductions from the Juarez area, so this is a continuation of the drug wars. I seem to remember that there were several police chiefs that were murdered by the drug lords.

I don't know Jay... "large military and police presence"?? Think I would turn around and head the other way!!:eek: Well, I know what you mean, but still... I may not be the target, but how good a shot and how selective are they when the shooting starts?! We we went to Cancun last year (my first time into the interior) . We rented a van and took in some of the tourist sites. Drive out of the city and you come across military roadblocks, sandbagged military/police post on the highway. Was stopped at one and what looked like a 16YO carring a rifle stuck his head in the wndow and asked questions. Others off to the side at the ready.:( There is a reason and I don't need to be any part of it.:):)

Jim, I think you can take the question mark off the "Little or nothing" in reference to the poppy trade, and just make it a statement of fact. We (read USA goverment) tolerate it.

geeksrus

The local paper, The Monitor (RGV), reported that there was a shoot-em-up in Progreso on Saturday... we were there today and all seemed to have settled down.

Eh!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The local paper, The Monitor (RGV), reported that there was a shoot-em-up in Progreso on Saturday... we were there today and all seemed to have settled down.

Eh!

Maybe they were busy reloading their magazines for another go at it.

Uncle Rog

We live 90 minutes from a Margarita in Rosarito Beach, we have gone there for many years, no more. The bandido's have more money and influence than the Federales. The troops on the street might not be working for the government! There are still organized caravans that go down to Mazatlan or Puerta Vallarta but for my money I will stay north of the border. Remember Mexico is Mexico..................

yondering

Retired-Full Timer
We just returned from a mission trip to the Eagle Pass, Texas / Piedras Negras, Mexico area. We are partners with Bro Bob McCarty in Missions Aglow Ministrey. We were planning to cross over, but we heard gunfire not far from the border on the Mexican side. We instead, went to a place in Quemado, Texas ( about 20 miles north of Eagle Pass ) where we have the Cornerstone Childrens ranch. We contacted the pastors of the mission in Mexico we sponsor, and they were able to cross and collect the Christmas boxes and return them to the children. Seems the federales nor the drug cartels bother the pastors in their old pick ups with a few items in them. Main thing, use common sense and be safe wherever you travel. God Bless ya all, Al & Dee Weaver

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I was in Playas, NM, a couple of years ago attending a class. We were warned that if anybody wanted to go to the Mexican town just across the border a few miles south that they needed to be back on the U.S. side before sundown. And go no further than the restaurant (supposedly very good) just past the border crossing. Forget seeing police cars out there, mostly what I saw were Border Patrol SUV's.

Tom of Ypsi

APC's and machine guns, heard stories of killings and abductions

Sounds like Detroit and this is on a good day. I only feel safe driving through and that is very fast.
Never had an trouble in Nuevo Progresso, Mx and I have gone over there many times.

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Guess I will just stick with my 2 weeks of 5 star timeshares in the Hotel Zone in Cancun 2nd floor ocean front in May for all my Mexican excitement.